HoS Application - Zonespace/Robert Smith
Usual character name: Robert Smith
BYOND username: Zonespace
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Zonespace#6454
Recommended by (if applicable): N/A
Goon servers you play: I only play security on Goon 3

Reason for application: I would like to apply for Head of Security in order to take more of a leadership position in the security team.

Security experience (300 word minimum):
    My experience with security is fairly thorough, albeit it’s recently only been on Goon 3. In addition, my overall time in Goon has been around 9 months, since December. Over the course of my playtime as security, I’ve learned the proper method for detaining and processing suspects, in addition to getting experience on how to interact with the non-antagonist crew.

First of all, the subject of arresting criminals. As an officer, you have a wide variety of tools at your disposal. First is the iconic stun baton, which will be the primary tool most officers use to detain criminals. While it is limited by range, it still is able to land hits using the special attack, which allows for a good followup with a standard whack of the baton. But, if you do want range, the taser and its variations are certainly around to help. The standard taser has good output, and allows for an instant down on the “burst” settings. Then, the Wavegun allows for some decent, if niche, downs as long as you know how to use it. Finally, the SMG and shotgun cover a fairly similar role, allowing for easier takedowns of an evasive target, or for crowd control. Lastly, the barrier is great for a more defensive role. Allowing for both protection from damage, and reflection of projectiles, while still maintaining a decent amount of on-hit stamina damage.

Secondly, when things start getting tougher, such as a criminal getting their hands on an officer’s baton, it’s time to start getting a bit more unconventional. Normally, having a baton is a CQC fight winner, but there’s ways to turn this around. For example, you can try to use your taser, but if you need something more immediate, a riot launcher can help. Loading the riot launcher with smoke is an effective option due to its stuns and forced disarming. Alternatively, you can load it with a flashbang, which means an instant down for the target. However, do not use flashbangs lightly, they deafen everyone nearby, and give eye damage ontop of that!

If you need to get a little more hands-on and your other options are exhausted, you can use the power of improvised weaponry and wrestling to get the upper hand. For example, a well-aimed chairflip will instantly disarm your opponent, in addition to some decent stun time, which will affect your opponent for longer than you. Also, tabling someone on harm intent will give knockdown for a decent amount of time, even more so when you push them into a glass table (Only do it with a glass table if your life is in actual danger!). Finally, you can use the power of pins. Grab someone, run into a corner, and try to pin them. With luck and skill, you’ll end up with them pinned, which is a “You Win” scenario. At this point, feel free to cuff them and drag them back to sec.

All this talking about interacting with the criminals only really covers half of the job of security. The other half is interacting with the crew. Security should be able to, provided they aren’t being overstretched by the antagonists, interact with the crew in a meaningful way. Even if it’s something as simple as a conversation with the doctor that’s giving you a clone scan, it helps to interact with the crew whenever you have time to spare. If you want to go the extra mile, try to seek out interactions with the crew. Ask people how they’re doing, if they have any worries or issues, and so on.

While writing this, it occurs to me this speaks less so to my experience as security, and more a “guide to security”, so let’s get a bit more on topic. Over the course of my time as security on Goon3, I’ve learned the value of communicating, both to the rest of security, and to the crew. Overall, if security’s more open and supportive, you’ll get less people who try to make securities’ jobs hard. (Grabbing cuffed people, hacking into security, and the like)

I would like to be a Head of Security because I’d like to take a bigger leadership role in security. I’ve overall had a lot of fun as security, but I’ve noticed that there can certainly be an issue when there is no Head of Security. It’s not uncommon during the lower-population hours for security to be disorganized due to there being no proper leader, since the Captain’s cryoed/died, and there isn’t a Head of Security or NTSO in sight. Security having a leader figure that will make sure both command and security keep doing their jobs effectively is a great boon to everyone involved.

It occurred to me, thanks to feedback on my application, that I never really went into detail about my overall playstyle and mentality as security. I hope to fully rectify this error within the next paragraphs.

First of all, my playstyle with antagonists as a security officer. I generally believe in being lenient with antagonists that drive the round in an interesting way with gimmicks. As such, I will generally be a bit lighter on the brigging times, perhaps a bit too light, because I’m aware the real pain of being arrested is the confiscation of their gear, not the loss of a few minutes in a cell. Even in cases with more run-of-the-mill antagonists, I try to be fair, in addition to not keeping them wrapped up in security for a long period of time.

When arresting people, I enjoy communicating with them, and giving chances to cooperate. If they aren’t a known runner, and haven’t been too violent, I will try to approach, use the whistle if they’re moving, and talk to them. If they’re just a suspect, I’ll ask them nicely to come to security and assuming they are willing to come along, cuffs won’t be used. If it’s known they did it, I will treat them the same as above, but using handcuffs. If they’ve been violent, or ran in the past, the gloves come off, and more extreme actions will be taken. This usually means an immediate tasing and batonning, since the criminal has made it clear that talking to them will result in them leaving the zip code within the minute.

On the subject of contraband, I try to let the non-murdery antagonists keep their minor contraband, since it’s no fun to lose everything! When it comes to more dangerous gear, like a pistol or fibre wire, it gets a bit tougher. If it’s within the first 10-15 minutes of the round, I might give them some sort of chance to possibly get it back, such as giving subtle hints as to what locker the contraband’s stored in. However, there’s some contraband that doesn’t get this treatment, generally 6TC+ items that can only be used for bad, such as cyalume sabers or EMAGs.

While it is part of security on RP’s job to keep as many people having fun as possible, there is a point that you have to draw the line. Like many officers, I operate on a very flexible three-strike system, where a person will get a “strike” for each time they’re brought in for a non-minor crime, such as assault or the like. First strike, they get a talking-to and time in the brig. On the second strike, they will get a longer brig time, on top of a possible demotion. Finally, on the third strike, it’s clear they’re not going to change, and action needs to be taken. At bare minimum, it’s a demotion to staffie, but if the situation is dire enough, an execution is warranted. Of course, this is flexible, and any of this can change based on the circumstances.

Outside of handling antagonists, I still try my best to interact with the crew whenever possible. Whether it be asking people if everything’s alright, checking in with people working in their departments, or manning the desk and talking to people there. In addition, I try not to overstep the bounds of the access officers have on RP, such as asking the mechanics to scan a booze vendor into the ruck kit, instead of rushing in and doing it myself. The former getting the same result, with more crew interaction and less stepping on toes.

Handling communication in security is something I am getting better at, but I personally think I currently handle it quite well. Once I arrest someone, I do my best to announce it over security radio, in addition to requesting backup prior to arrest if I think they’ll be a challenge to take down. Knowing the length of the rounds, it’s hardly a surprise that officers will have to cryo out for some or all of the remaining shift. To keep a good idea of the current numbers, I try to get a wellness check-in every 30 minutes, both getting an idea about how the rest of the team feels, and getting a list of who is still around. All of this is to try and get my team to communicate, which quite frankly I’d rather have a team of communicating assistants, versus a group of silent, lone wolf officers.

All in all, I believe I am ready to be a Head of Security, per the points outlined above. To reiterate, becoming a Head of Security requires being a strong presence in security, able to communicate with officers, crew, and antagonists alike. In addition, they should be a person that officers, and by extension the crew, can trust and defer to in stressful and complicated circumstances. I believe I meet these requirements. Thank you for reading my application!

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
    If the going gets tough, don't be afraid to use your environment in order to get an upper hand, provided you don't kill them. For example, if someone's going ham with a stolen baton, you could use a convenient chair to chairflip them down, disarming them, and giving you a chance to recover.
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
    My favorite moment was during lowpop Goon 3, when a lawyer latejoined as a traitor, mindslaved some of security, and tried to overthrow both the rest of security, and command. In the latter half of that round, most of command was gone (either exiled or went to cryo), and I was forced to go into hiding, due to the lawyer, now captain, wanting me dead. This culminated in the three detectives (We were on Horizon) and I having a shootout with the two mindslaved secoffs and the lawyer/captain. By the end of it, the lawyer was dead, the secoffs were un-mindslaved, and the true captain got his job back.
  • What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?
        While this may seem very minor, I'd appreciate the detective's stun rounds being a bit more distinct, ideally having a different bullet sprite, and a non-blood effect on hitting someone. Currently, the detective has a 50% chance of getting yelled at by someone (who is rarely an officer) because they believe the detective's using lethals.
        Also, I would appreciate more armories being like the one on Cog2, which is more built towards security being able to ask for a weapon from the person behind the desk (presumably the HoS) instead of all piling in at once, as soon as the armory's open.
  • Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.
    If I'm part of a full team, I take a bit more time to relax, like having a coffee break or sitting at the bar from time to time. If I'm alone, I usually end up having to take a bit of a tougher stance, provided crime is happening.
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.
    A round buzzing bee
    Floating quite so happily
    My dear Heisenbee.
  • What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
    It may or may not be a bit unoriginal, but I'd like to run a "Space TSA" gimmick on an extended round. Ideally where a few officers set up an unpassable checkpoint into somewhere not completely vital (e.g. bridge) and go through the standard TSA procedure of insisting a person who wishes to go through takes their shoes, hat, belt, and all of that before going through a metal detector, allowing them to pass on.
Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): N/A
I don't have a ton of security experience and as such can't speak for their overall performance, but in a recent round as Security Assistant on Morty, Zonespace gave an excellent overview of security tools and procedure to me and another secass. The lesson went over the portabrig, brigging procedure, what's fair as punishment, and how to perform safe arrests with minimal necessary force, usually with hands-on practice.

All in all, it was a very helpful experience, and strikes me as the sort of behavior fitting a leadership position.
I can't say I've seen you on the team very much. It also seemed that this was less a talk about your security experience and playstyle, but about what weapons you have at your disposal. I'm gonna have to say -1 for now.
For whoever's read my application but hasn't yet passed a judgement, I have added more to the bottom of the "Security Experience" section, please read the new parts prior to making a vote on this application!
Zonespace seems to me an excellent and highly competent officer, both in dealing with antagonists and in general RP with the rest of the crew.

He is lenient with his brig times, and will usually talk and RP as much as he can when someone is in the brig, antag or not, asking for motivations and the like, and should the antagonist be running a gimmick, he will play along with it as much as he can, always going the extra mile to make everyone's round all the more entertaining.

Even on extended rounds, where there are no antags, Zonespace is always trying his best to make things more enjoyable or running a gimmick of his own, such as expanding and redecorating the brig with the help of the rest of the security team and the captain.

The only thing that I disagree with is Zonespace's attitude towards the aforementioned dire situations, and I know these types of situations are difficult, where the choice is either to end the round for an antag, or to face more bloodshed if they are released. I generally stand against executions as they are not really in the spirit of RP, unless of course if the antag wants a public execution, I myself preferring something more along the lines of borging, or some other way that the person can still continue the round that doesn't involve permabrigging. But that is a minor point that is more preference than anything else.

Overall, Zonespace will be a very welcome Head of Security, and I am very much in favour of the Agent Smith gags that will come out of NTSO.
It is a +1 from me.

Also, please ignore the "Joined Today" on my account, I have been playing Goon for a while now and only decided to get myself a forum account now.
(08-09-2021, 07:32 AM)Tiresoup Wrote: I can't say I've seen you on the team very much. It also seemed that this was less a talk about your security experience and playstyle, but about what weapons you have at your disposal. I'm gonna have to say -1 for now.

I've given your edit of the application a read, and gotten more experience with you ingame as sec. I'm gonna change this to a +1, you're nice to have on the team!
Hi, we decided to deny this application for now, due to lack of positive feedback from the community. Feel free to reapply in 60 days from now!