Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Overhead chat should appear ABOVE the blindness/half-blind filters.
You could still "hear" where people are and suss 'em out this way.

(Also, the half-blind filter is pretty severely harsh taking up so much of the screen like it does. Would be nice if it was toned down.)

EDIT: By half-blind, I mean missing an eye.
please. having to go back to the days of no maptext whenever i take my glasses off is hell

edit: realized that cal actually meant the eyepatch effect. either way, the weird checkerboard fake-blur effect from nearsighted/ocular damage/etc also needs fixed for similar reasons.
Yeah. Both good. Assuming "half blind" means the "missing one eye" filter for right/left. It should probably be changed to give you at least a tile or two past your center sprite so it's a bit less dehibilitating...
while you're at it can you also make it so the nearsighted filter doesn't block clicks thanks
(07-27-2021, 02:41 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: Yeah. Both good. Assuming "half blind" means the "missing one eye" filter for right/left.

Yeah sorry, I did mean missing an eye, not nearsighted. Nearsighted could also get a tweak tho.
I like the ideas allot, i've been thinking about playing a blind character at some point and these would be some good QoL changes.
I like the idea of chat popping up above the filters, that's nice, though I think there are some filters where it probably shouldn't, like certain spooky filters.

I get what the missing eye filter is trying to do but when I close one of my eyes that doesn't mean that I can't see 50% of the things around me no matter where I turn my head. Trying to represent the larger blind spot you'd have with just 1 working eye is just too difficult or annoying to represent in a top-down 2d game. Just remove it entirely and make it reduce accuracy of your guns, IMO.
Can you still not grab anything if you are blind?
(07-28-2021, 07:24 PM)phyvo Wrote: I like the idea of chat popping up above the filters, that's nice, though I think there are some filters where it probably shouldn't, like certain spooky filters.

I get what the missing eye filter is trying to do but when I close one of my eyes that doesn't mean that I can't see 50% of the things around me no matter where I turn my head. Trying to represent the larger blind spot you'd have with just 1 working eye is just too difficult or annoying to represent in a top-down 2d game. Just remove it entirely and make it reduce accuracy of your guns, IMO.

Someone made a good suggestion of copying how a Metal Gear did it, so you know you are missing an eye but it's not distracting.

[Image: aRxBF0r.png]
so if your missing an eye you basically become short sighted?
(07-28-2021, 07:24 PM)phyvo Wrote: I like the idea of chat popping up above the filters, that's nice, though I think there are some filters where it probably shouldn't, like certain spooky filters.

I remember mentioning this and most people saying I wasn't right and the MGS picture being used as proof against me and I'm still confused by that.

On topic, yes, text should be above the blindness filter.  Just cause you don't see people doesn't mean you don't hear them.