Complaint Lack of harshness in bans related to racism/bigotry
Hi, this (very belated because I wasn't around much this past month) post reflects my personal thoughts and opinions and I am not speaking for the admin team as a whole.

In terms of rulebreaking behavior for racism and bigotry and what have you, how I generally operate is that I try to determine how intentional someone is and how much harm they've caused, and base the actions I take off of that. In some cases, it's possible that someone has unintentionally said or done something bad. For instance, there are words that have different or less offensive meanings in other places, or words that are still common in popular usage, despite being against the rules here. In these cases, I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. In other more egregious cases, where people are clearly and knowingly being shitty, they can get banned.

In terms of ban appeals, what I'm generally looking for is an understanding that certain things aren't okay and a resolve to not do them again. I also consider other factors as severity of someone's offense, how much time has passed, etc. While I value sincerity and would like people to reflect and change for the better, I'm not looking for someone to express their deepest apologies and regrets or complete reformation of someone as a whole. Mostly because it's impossible to tell if someone really truly changed, but also because even if they haven't totally, if we give them a chance, they may be able to (like many players have). And if they don't and continue being a bigot, we can easily ban them again. Though this isn't to say that there isn't a line, because there is (you just don't see the majority of those who've crossed it appealing).

I think a large part of your complaint is due to not having access to the inner workings of the team, so I hope this post is informative and helpful. I don't mean to argue with you, but rather just shed light on how I generally operate. Obviously this is something we all care a lot about.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lack of harshness in bans related to racism/bigotry - by Flourish - 08-12-2021, 07:06 PM