Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Nullification Genes are not compatible with one another
As far as I know, Weakener doesn't work. Once I slap it on a gene, that gene suddenly becomes unreclaimable for whatever reason.
(07-25-2021, 08:48 AM)Technature Wrote: As far as I know, Weakener doesn't work.  Once I slap it on a gene, that gene suddenly becomes unreclaimable for whatever reason.

it is because I don't think that you can reclaim mutations after you activate it, it is basically useless.
Have genetics powers burn caloric resource points you get from eating food. Passive powers have passive drain when turned on, so you can't have all your immunities on all the time lest you run out of calories.
(07-25-2021, 11:52 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Have genetics powers burn caloric resource points you get from eating food. Passive powers have passive drain when turned on, so you can't have all your immunities on all the time lest you run out of calories.

doing this and having your mutations on a toggle might not be a bad idea.
The issue with the nullification genes isnt the QoL they possess, its how it drastically effects antags to such an extent that it limits them severely. Got a laser rifle from a surplus crate and you want to kill captain? Well turns out they have thermal resistance and theyre immune to your laser. Rogue AI and turn turrets onto lethal? Well someone with thermal just walks in easily and unrogues you. Got a radbow and plan on using it against a sec off, they have rad immunity and now they just saw you shoot a radbow at them, etc. Genetics heavily effects the crew vs antag game to an extent its unreasonable for an antag to account for (antags already have to grab hacking tools/sunglasses/insuls/etc for a decent chance of being effective, should we expect them to grab a mutadone hypo every round too?). Id personally prefer the nullification genes reworked for them to maintain there QoL but heavily reducing there combat effectiveness.

A few ideas for reworks.
Thermal resistance no longer works by preventing you from taking burn damage entirely. It now speeds up the rate your body will attempt to restore itself to standard tempature. Cold resistance allows your body to heat up enough to be fine in space, fire resistance allows your body to not be heated up by fire nearly as fast. Thermal resistance combines these two effects. Now if you get your hands on an egun, you dont have to worry nearly as much on who you use it on! Thermal resistance would still help against spacing/being lit on fire, however for the latter its still something you should worry about (that way plasmaflooding is still viable even when genetics put one gene up on rockbox). This change would also help with the absolute curbstomp a ling with thermal resistance has.

Anaerobic removes itself on crit like hulk, this way it no longer allows you to tank damage like a beast. Anaerobic prevents you from taking suffocation damage entirely, meaning cardiac arrest causes very little issues.

Rad resistance is mostly fine because radbow is rarely used, however give it an overlay so a radbow user can know that itll work against who theyre using it against.

Toxic resistance is probably fine as is?? It helps against lings but a ling will still knock you out, and most poison mixes tend to have other things that fuck you over alongside it.

SMES resistance is a tricky one, I dont know what to do with it, and if its fine or if its bad.

Alcohol resistance is fine, its basically just a better cyberliver but rng locked.
I mean, if you're in the AI upload and have the reset you have more than enough time to reset it without getting lasered so I'm not sure thermal resist blocking the lasers is really all that big of a deal.  It also doesn't block the organ damage.
(07-25-2021, 01:39 PM)Mouse Wrote: I mean, if you're in the AI upload and have the reset you have more than enough time to reset it without getting lasered so I'm not sure thermal resist blocking the lasers is really all that big of a deal.  It also doesn't block the organ damage.

It does nullify me plasma flooding robotics control and someone being able to ignore the fire and killswitch me though.
How about disabling resistances if you go into crit. Not removing just disabling, your body is working on trying to keep you alive instead of maintaining your immunity
Lethal AI lasers should cause small explosions that don't destroy tiles(but do destroy lockers) and deal the same damage as getting hit by the lasers currently but in an area of effect and split between burn and brute instead of being pure burn. AI turrets are waaaaaaaay to easy to cheese and have been needing a buff for a long time.
(07-25-2021, 03:09 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: Lethal AI lasers should cause small explosions that don't destroy tiles(but do destroy lockers) and deal the same damage as getting hit by the lasers currently but in an area of effect and split between burn and brute instead of being pure burn. AI turrets are waaaaaaaay to easy to cheese and have been needing a buff for a long time.

agreed that ai lasers are so easy to cheese
like the only real counter as an ai to locker-cheese is telesci cheese and telesci cheese is not super fun for anyone involved

how would you see the laser-explosions as interacting with barriers? would they still reflect them? because barriers are, next to lockers, still the easiest way to cheese ai turrets(altho at least with barriers you can disable and reenable the turrets as counterplay).
(07-25-2021, 02:17 PM)Ikea Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 01:39 PM)Mouse Wrote: I mean, if you're in the AI upload and have the reset you have more than enough time to reset it without getting lasered so I'm not sure thermal resist blocking the lasers is really all that big of a deal.  It also doesn't block the organ damage.

It does nullify me plasma flooding robotics control and someone being able to ignore the fire and killswitch me though.

Alternately they could just walk in the plasmafire, killswitch, walk out, and use a fire extinguisher.  Fire takes forever to kill.
(07-25-2021, 05:13 PM)Mouse Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 02:17 PM)Ikea Wrote:

Alternately they could just walk in the plasmafire, killswitch, walk out, and use a fire extinguisher.  Fire takes forever to kill.

It takes 3 minutes for the killswitch to finish. Plasma fire kills in around a minute and a half, anyways this is beating around the bush and not addressing the elephant in the room, being able to not be damaged by the most common type of guns, and being able to ignore fire like its nothing causes lots of issues in how you address things.
(07-25-2021, 02:26 PM)Cal Wrote: How about disabling resistances if you go into crit. Not removing just disabling, your body is working on trying to keep you alive instead of maintaining your immunity

I would be fine with this, since if you're already dying chances are your immunities aren't protecting you anyways.
In my opinion, genetics is fine as it is. It can be astonishingly useful, with stabilized Thermal Res, Radres, SMES and all that other jam in the genebooth, or they can get Cold Res (not stabilized) into the booth at minute 50. Yay, I think?
Why can't we NOT nerf something for a bit? I mean, you can be jacked up with literally every positive gene in existence, you'll still be beaten by a single secoff (or traitor) with a taser shotgun or normal taser set to burst clicking you once point blank on harm intent.

Yes, some genes counter some mechanics. What's next, remove earmuffs for making you immune to flashbangs (with a sechud)? Remove welding masks for making you immune to flashes?
While we're at it, remove the csaber block reflect, that sec worked hard to get a phaser from QM and deserves to own you with it.

The point is, nobody is prepared for everything and even if they are, anything short of steroids, triple meth or similar, won't immunize them to a simple taser to the forehead or SPES-12 to the noggin. Some things are simply countered by certain other things. Deal with it. Your laser rifle isn't a one-stop killing implement for the entire crew.
Idk i dont think going fuck you antags your cool toys are now invalid because one guy spent 30 minutes at a computer is good design