Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Nullification Genes are not compatible with one another
I like to preface this by saying I haven’t gotten a gene in game so if this is already in my bad, but basically you can’t have SMES, Rad Resist, Anerobic and Thermal Resist on at the same time. You can chose one nullification gene at one time, and any after that would replace the one you already have. Makes it so you have to be more thoughtful in what you want for genes and so space can pose some sort of threat.
Just make it so you cant stabilize certain genes, mainly the nullification ones, would be really simple to code it.
please, I don't want this, genetics is a lot of fun and I would hate to have stuff nerfed just for the sake of nerfing it.

I understand it is strong, but the counter is really easy to make.
...............why?

Is immunity to certain things really that big a game breaker?
This doesn't seem necessary. Anaerobic and Thermal Resist are already made through gene combinations/splicing. This change would be confusing and unintuitive, and I don't see a purpose for it other than "make Genetics focus more on things that aren't helpful to the crew."

Space is plenty dangerous. Let's not make a department less useful to the entire station.
(07-24-2021, 03:12 PM)Technature Wrote: ...............why?

Is immunity to certain things really that big a game breaker?

Yeah, having to deal with some nerd that is immune to most types of damage, can just break trough walls and regen life 24/7 is really annoying if you are a traitor, people shouldn't be able to negate game mechanics with little to no downside by using anaerobic or thermal resist or whatever.
That's where the medical director with mutadone darts comes in

Additionally genes are something they research and earn, no different than say, a miner making erebite arrows
Plus those genes are VERY rng dependent. Sometimes you can get thermal within 10 minutes but sometimes it'll take the entire round
So...what, let's take a look at the worst case scenario here.

Thermal Resistance prevents fire damage.
Radiation resistance stops nothing the normal crewmate would reliably have.
SMES stops Stun Batons.
Natural Anti-toxins prevents poison.
Anaerobic Metabolism prevents the need for oxygen.

Assuming the person, for whatever reason, mutadone proofed their genes, you can still flash them, flash bang them, beat them, Shoot them with the Detectives gun, Taser them, Throw chemicals at them, and this is all going in with the probability that you're not a traitor, which has access to a vast possibility of weaponry that doesn't care about any of those immunities.

On the other hand, several jobs now have to choose between suffering one thing or the other. Engineers might have to deal with radiation, depending on whether they're dealing with the singularity. They otherwise has to deal with a lack of temperature safety, and those who try to fix the station have to deal with no oxygen. Mining has to deal with Radiation and a need of oxygen, period. Science has their fair share of chemicals that do a variety of nasty things to the body that no one immunity can fully stop. Hydro has plants that can cause radiation, not to mention the constant heat boxes from weed. And I don't need to explain security, right?

This is just something that exists to gimp a department that doesn't need a nerf, and it affects pretty much the entire station in the process.
If they mutadone proofed all those genes they'd either need to be absurdly lucky with their potential or their stability would be in the gutter.

I don't know what happens if you go under 0 stability, but you'd sure as hell would find out.
In my opinion the issue isn't stacking genes, it's the blatant superiority of stabilized genes over any other gene.
(07-25-2021, 07:12 AM)DimWhat Wrote: In my opinion the issue isn't stacking genes, it's the blatant superiority of stabilized genes over any other gene.

just talking about these few genes, I will brake down why this is right, but also not a problem with stabilization and more of a problem with the other ones being weaker options.

Stabilizer, needed to have any extra mutations with out any draw backs.

Synchronizer, always used for some mutations like self biomass and makes it mutations useful rather then really bad.

Weakener, not used for peoples mutations,

Reinforcer,  really only useful for people who fear that they are going to be mutadoned and are willing to take the risks of a non stable mutation

Power Booster, makes weaker active use mutations like laser eyes into something some what strong, not useable with a lot of mutations

Energy Booster, halves the cool down for active mutations, not useable with a lot of mutations

Camouflager, only really useful for antag geneticists with the speed injector antag item as it is basically worthless for any one paying attention and even then, most times the message saying  "You feel really sick..." is going to be lost in the text going on around them.

all in all, I think other chromosomes other then stabilizer are a lot rarer to see, because someone's stabilization can not be understated how important it is because the draw backs are that bad, so in order to create a balance a few things would need to happen, ether we make it so that stabilization is not as important or other Chromosomes need to be made more useful, ether by buffing existing ones or we add new ones to make the dilemma worth it.

Also I was thinking, making it so natural anti toxins does not work on mutadone would a good idea.
I have literally NEVER EVER seen weakener used nor know how to use it myself for what it's worth
(07-25-2021, 08:29 AM)Cal Wrote: I have literally NEVER EVER seen weakener used nor know how to use it myself for what it's worth

Weakening guarantees that the gene will be reclaimed, and doubles the materials you get for reclaiming it.
(07-25-2021, 08:29 AM)Cal Wrote: I have literally NEVER EVER seen weakener used nor know how to use it myself for what it's worth

It is only used for the geneticist to get more Materials, it does nothing for the person with the mutation.