Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Balance Power Gloves
I’ve never seen the power gloves used once, this is for a number of reasons.
It’s job specific
Requires decent understanding of the engine
Spend your shift time overloading the engine
Only works on non-insulated users
Easy to shut down (literally turn off the engine lol)

The big issue is the insulated glove immunity. Considering how half the station has them, that means you can’t kill half the station. Give insulated glove users advantage, like, 90% resistance to the shocks.

However through some discussion on the discord server it seems there are also some parts that need to be nerfed, because gibbing someone at 10MW is extremely stupid, and there is also no sprite indicator of power gloves.

Keep the electric gibbing though, but increase the power needed considerably. Gib at around 100GW, insulated users get gibbed at 1TW. Also, add some sinister looking sprite indication of the power gloves, just lightning bolts around your sprite. Maybe make it more sinister looking the more power you have? That sounds like it would be tough to code but would be cool.

Anyways tell me what you think.

Also, forgot to mention. A very important concept I think should is important for the power gloves is the idea of spending most of your shift maintaining the engine and boosting power, and in exchange you get roughly 10 minutes of dark sith powers.

Put the effort in, you get rewarded
Do you not see the balance issues in being able to literally instantly gib literally anyone at a range, with no limit in ammo? Not to mention electric arcs are far easier to aim because they arent a projectile. Being able to instantly gib anyone who gets close to you does not seem fun or well designed. Also concerned about how this would scale, because it seems like itd only be viable on the teg and unviable on any other engine.
(07-23-2021, 06:01 AM)Ikea Wrote: Do you not see the balance issues in being able to literally instantly gib literally anyone at a range, with no limit in ammo? Not to mention electric arcs are far easier to aim because they arent a projectile. Being able to instantly gib anyone who gets close to you does not seem fun or well designed. Also concerned about how this would scale, because it seems like itd only be viable on the teg and unviable on any other engine.

It seems pretty balanced given the fact of how stupidly easy it is to shut down, turn off the Engine, cut wires, etc. It’s like, as soon as one guy dies or spots power gloves, anybody can shut it down with ease.

Considering how most maps use TEG, it simply makes sense. The solution to this would be to just give other engine types more ways to get power.

We already argued a large amount of this in the discord server yesterday, and got nowhere, so let’s try to hear other opinions here.
(07-23-2021, 06:01 AM)Ikea Wrote: Do you not see the balance issues in being able to literally instantly gib literally anyone at a range, with no limit in ammo? Not to mention electric arcs are far easier to aim because they arent a projectile. Being able to instantly gib anyone who gets close to you does not seem fun or well designed. Also concerned about how this would scale, because it seems like itd only be viable on the teg and unviable on any other engine.

This sums up my thoughts on power gloves perfectly. Keep in mind that power gloves are cheap enough to buy alongside a cloaker which allows for some seriously unfun strategies.
(07-23-2021, 06:42 AM)unfunnyperson Wrote:

This sums up my thoughts on power gloves perfectly. Keep in mind that power gloves are cheap enough to buy alongside a cloaker which allows for some seriously unfun strategies.

Personally I wouldn’t be opposed to increasing the cost by one TC.

Also, please propose some of your own balance changes instead of just shutting down mine.
Yikes. 100GW for a gib would make it next to impossible for the large majority of players to achieve. It would also make power gloves a completely worthless buy on singularity maps and oshan.

Power gloves, currently, already have the massive disadvantage towards insul wearers. Plus unless someone has the power grid memorized they're likely going to be using a t-ray scanner which can be a bit of an indicator someone may be doing evil things especially when the engine is hotwired.

I think moving the gib threshold up to 100MW and making it only gib corpses wouldn't be a bad idea. That way you'd have to kill them with the power gloves then gib.
Already posted these videos on discord, reposting here because its relevant.
Here is 1 gw of power (also shows some other stuff relevant to how they are broken) https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/3...gloves.mp4
Here is 5 MW, (note its a 20% chance to gib otherwise its 200 burn damage.)
https://discord.com/channels/18224996089...6804034621
Power gloves are good and they don't get used often, which is ideal for an item that powerful. I don't see any reason to change them.
What if wearing power gloves just made your character constantly say Palpatine quotes? You know, to make it clearer that you're wearing them.
If you wear them and the mobile suit costume at the same time using them should make you say "THIS HAND OF MINE GLOWS WITH AN AWESOME POWER".
(07-24-2021, 12:08 AM)kyle2143 Wrote: What if wearing power gloves just made your character constantly say Palpatine quotes? You know, to make it clearer that you're wearing them.

While that is hilarious, could I just put on a muzzle to keep it quiet?

Also, I learned yesterday that it has infinite range and goes through walls, and the disarm doesn’t even work properly, which if the disarm was fixed, I could get behind this weapon.
(07-24-2021, 12:08 AM)kyle2143 Wrote: What if wearing power gloves just made your character constantly say Palpatine quotes? You know, to make it clearer that you're wearing them.

yes
WARNING: VERY LOUD

new powerglove shock sound too
ok so i had a powerglove round today and i think i retract my statement after killing half the station via 5TW of electric doors and powergloves

i just wish for the disarm to be fixed, and also fix that really stupid infinite range thing, its funny, but really broken
If you could elaborate on the "infinite range thing" or make a bug report, please, that would be helpful, because I am not sure what you are referring to.

EDIT: Right, after checking the discord I believe I know what you mean.

EDIT2: Made a PR to fix the bug with infinite range and the disarm function, so we can now discuss if it's ok to deal arbitrary amounts of burn damage to someone just because you were an engine nerd for 50 minutes. :^)
https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/5600