Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blocking, and an overlap of keybinds.
Currently, in almost all scenarios pressing Z causes you to block. This is pretty damn useful, because it can save your life if you're being attacked by a stunlocking ability. Werewolf knock you down? Literally only hope you've got is to block on the ground and hope you can stand up and limp away. Same with a Shamblers arm. Start blocking immediately and hope to god you RNG and manage to slip out. Wizard got you pinned with Staff of Cthulhu? You get the point.

But two things stop you from blocking, Fire and chairs. I did a C-Saber run awhile ago, first in awhile. I got lit on fire and then someone started to shoot phasers at me, instant instinct was to block and parry them....instead I slowed to a crawl, started to spin as I move around and then fell on the floor. I had started to resist the fire first and began to stop drop and roll... What? That doesn't make any sense. Fire can be bad over time, but these three people with guns are a bit of a problem!

Another instance, I had a wizard lock me up in a fight, knocked me down with magic missile and started to wail on me while I was on the floor. Z to block! But i'm laying down over a chair, I literally cannot Z to block under a chair. The game things I want to mantle the chair and Chair slam him, but since i'm unable to block and they're striking me, i'm permastunned. I'll literally never be able to chairslam because i'll never stand up again.

I hope the coders can help out and I guess I can only put in an idea for this, since this is ideas and suggestions.

First, fire. If you're on fire, three things to put it out. First, just make it easy and simply laying down on the floor and moving causes you to start to stop drop and roll and put the fire out. If thats too simple, instead make it that you have to be laying down and then you have to resist to start the stop drop and roll sequence. Then there is always the "Click this status to resist" thing too.

Second, chairs. Make it so if you're laying down, you cannot attempt to stand on a chair, instead you block. I can't say anything else for this, because quickly chairslamming is necessary for so many fights, so I don't know how you could change chair slamming and blocking besides literally making a whole new keybind, and I dunno about any of that.

Opinions, comments, ideas.
Yup, setting a csaber wielder on fire is the easiest and only real reliable way to beat them, especially if the csaber is attached as an arm. I don't go on csaber rampages myself and the only ones I fight are usually stimmed up so they're a waiting game into an instant win anyway, but I thought the burning-prevents-blocking thing was an intended design choice to make such weapons beatable.

The chair thing, however, is utterly ridiculous. The burning thing makes sense as Z is the "Resist " button, not "Block", and you'd resist the most immediate danger - being on fire. But buckling while lying on the ground is a little.. silly, to say the least.
this is a very funny oversight, i have to admit

Maybe blocking should be switched to x, while z remains resist? X is more comfortable for the thumb, which is good since it's a little tricky to hit while hammering other combat-related keys otherwise. X also isn't used for anything (on goon controls).

Biggest problem with changing hotkeys is that you need to simultaneously change the goon and TG style controls. I don't know enough about TG style to give any input on that side of things.
I noticed this while messing around in the murderbox and while fighting before. It gets really annoying and can easily fuck you over since I don't remember if there even is another way to block.