Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Wizard hats
Acids melting hats is the only couterplay you have against a cautious wizard. Otherwise, just run Teleport, Doppelganger and the already default Phase Shift (or whatever it's called?) and you're invincible. Shifted into a room full of sec? Doppelganger and watch them waste the tasers. Still somehow got caught? Well taking your hat takes a long time, just teleport away, ez.

Wizards are impossible to catch if they don't want to be. If they manage to get a baton or, better yet, a taser shotgun, they can literally pop up next to a guy and stunlock them before they had half a second to see the wizard sprite.

I do think that the various nerfs were unwarranted. Staff of Cthulhu + Empower slapping you from outer space was iconic, yet rather counterable by just.. walking away. If melting hats can't be done anymore, we're back to "only sec can actually fight them" and that's a bit of a bummer to the rest of the crew.
(07-20-2021, 10:28 PM)palpetinus Wrote: Acids melting hats is the only couterplay you have against a cautious wizard. Otherwise, just run Teleport, Doppelganger and the already default Phase Shift (or whatever it's called?) and you're invincible. Shifted into a room full of sec? Doppelganger and watch them waste the tasers. Still somehow got caught? Well taking your hat takes a long time, just teleport away, ez.

Wizards are impossible to catch if they don't want to be. If they manage to get a baton or, better yet, a taser shotgun, they can literally pop up next to a guy and stunlock them before they had half a second to see the wizard sprite.

I do think that the various nerfs were unwarranted. Staff of Cthulhu + Empower slapping you from outer space was iconic, yet rather counterable by just.. walking away. If melting hats can't be done anymore, we're back to "only sec can actually fight them" and that's a bit of a bummer to the rest of the crew.
You couldn't walk away from empower wiznerds in space because it stunlocked in part due to the stave's brain damage
You didn't even need to do it from space.  Name yourself "Friendly Wizard", build a 5X5 box in public market out of glass rwalls, and just stand there and murder everyone without repercussion.

edit: also the empower/SoC meta was getting a baton, stunning people, then switching to SoC.
Maybe I was just lucky, I only died to Empower/SoC once and that was when I was actively fighting the wizard. The only times I've witnessed nerds killing people with that combo was when the people were already either braindead or so inattentive, you could replace their backpacks with a TTV and they wouldn't notice until it blew up.
Anecdotes, I guess!
Old tk was fucking stupid and removed for good reason. Being able to attack anyone within line of sight wasn’t fun for anyone except the wiz abusing it.
It was funny when people figured out a wizard was attacking everyone with old TK and staff of cthulu via a camera monitor FROM THE WIZARD SHUTTLE.
I miss old tk for sure, but it getting nerfed was fair, what stopped you from getting away was SoC's stun btw, which is still around.

I do think wizards are balanced enough that you could make their hats immune to acid, any prepared staffie can just start hitting them during their spell downtime and force them to teleport away with the scroll, which they can only do a few times.
(07-19-2021, 07:27 PM)Brixx79 Wrote: Give top hats work at 50% power.  Capes should also work as a 50% bonus if they somehow lose all their robes (or just want to be stylish~)
let a full set of hos gear work as wizard gear for wizards

also agreed on obsidian crown, it's mystical and an obsidian wizard would look cool as hell

let a cape + paper hat + mop(as staff stand-in) work as a 50% power "budget wizard" outfit for wizards

also i think wizards being strong and difficult to deal with is kind of the point - they're a pain, they can kill people with some level of ease, and generally are a nuisancce all round. if they were easy to fight wizards wouldn't be a fun gamemode.
HoS ain't wizards so that doesn't make sense. If you wanna do that give HoS a spell. Let them yell I AM THE LAW and deafen people
(07-25-2021, 02:28 PM)Cal Wrote: HoS ain't wizards so that doesn't make sense. If you wanna do that give HoS a spell. Let them yell I AM THE LAW and deafen people

that would rule
basically just a flashbang without the flash on a long cooldown
(07-21-2021, 02:49 PM)THISISANICEGAME Wrote: I miss old tk for sure, but it getting nerfed was fair, what stopped you from getting away was SoC's stun btw, which is still around.

I do think wizards are balanced enough that you could make their hats immune to acid, any prepared staffie can just start hitting them during their spell downtime and force them to teleport away with the scroll, which they can only do a few times.

I don't think it's true with the current mobility skills. With mobility skills on separate cooldowns there isn't that big a window where wizards can't oh-shit out of most situations because their mobility skills have separate 30-45 second cooldowns so you are usually at worst 10-15 seconds from your next cooldown and the skills generally still work during stuns/handcuffs.
Teleport is the best one because doppelganger, phase shift and blink won't move you from your stun location.
Honestly, I feel the main issue with wizard is teleport (scrolls), we should just change those so they are less good at getting out of sticky situations and are more for moving around between fights and stuff.
Then we wouldn't have to nerf all the other stuff instead.
(07-20-2021, 11:18 PM)mralexs Wrote: You couldn't walk away from empower wiznerds in space because it stunlocked in part due to the stave's brain damage

The brain got nerfed you could reliably escape it if you tried for a while.

(A while after the nerf, not a while of trying to get away)
(07-26-2021, 01:37 PM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: Honestly, I feel the main issue with wizard is teleport (scrolls), we should just change those so they are less good at getting out of sticky situations and are more for moving around between fights and stuff.
Then we wouldn't have to nerf all the other stuff instead.

Teleport scrolls got nerfed when Gere fixed them. Made them not work if they aren't on your hand so you can't keep the window open, I have no issues with them anymore, I barely see them used too, They get used when some nerd inevitably melts your hat but most of the time wizards die shortly after that happens, I think the issues people have with the teleport spell could be fixed by having it be on an action bar, so you can stop the wizard from teleporting away.