Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Welding doors should take a second, and an action bar.
We can use the same sound as when you weld stuff to the ground or weld walls.

I'm proposing this because I feel like it's a tad annoying for people to be able to do this instantaneously, as well as it adding a bit of thought to the action of doing so. It shouldn't take 0 time at all to weld a door shut. 

Totally welcome to hearing complaints from this gameplay-side, however.
Eh. I think playing a sound is a good idea, but I don't really see a need for amn action bar. Like. Yeah, it would take a bit to do in real life, but I don't think it's such an issue that it's abused.

Plus I don't really like the look of action bars everywhere. I think private action bars are alright. But in this instance, you'd want some clear visual commumication about what is being acted on (the door). And I think we need a better system than we currently have to show what the player is acting on during any given action bar. The overhead sprite in public action bars works for ones that don't have other visual tells (like welding would since you'd be holding the welder), but not for ones where you'd want to use a private one to cut down on the HuD sort of clutter.
allow me to remind you about the doors to the escape shuttle being welded shut almost every single round which can be pretty annoying if you include the random plasma fires everywhere.
Welding doors is "the meta" because it's simple. I'd rather have that than the bolt wire cut once (if) that is faster.
It's also just as trivial to fix a welded door considering welders are so common. Especially for escape cause a lot of maps have welding closets pretty close to escape.

If non traitors are welding escape shut to prevent people from getting in, that's against the rules. Unless they see a shambling abomination outside the door, they really should never do so. And if a traitor does it on a crowded shuttle then they should be easily beaten up and robbed of their welder to undo it.
Visually, maybe some sparks coming off from the door as it's being welded? I think we have that for shocks, but with the sound effect it shouldn't be too hard to tell which is happening. Could possibly shade it to be a bit more red for the welding
Id say it does get annoying how someone always welds the doors in the shuttle. Either because they are hiding in the medical compartment and want to keep people out or people are just welding the security and command doors because fuck it. I do think welding doors should take alittle time to do with some sparks and shit yeah
At some point you learn to keep a welder on you in case someone decides to be an asshole.

A slight nerf could be reasonable though...
Honestly this sounds pretty reasonable to me. Being able to instantaneously weld a huge airlock shut makes little sense and seems more like a symptom of this being an older feature.

A delay seems reasonable, and I think some sparks being produced could look neat too.
+1 to at least making it more visible and possibly audible somehow. Its kinda weird that if theres even a slight visual distraction, a task that would produce bright flickering sparks realistically can go by completely undetected until after you try using the door.

A mild delay would also make sense, though it doesnt need to be too long. Just think its wierd that people can do drive-by weldings so easily.
I just realized lockers are also instant
I think changing lockers may have more implications, because click-drag into locker and insta-weld seems like a pretty powerful tool.
Not that I am saying we should not change that, but it is something we should keep in mind.
The door visibly having a trailing welder spark on its sprite would be great; it'd have to be unique to each kind of door sprite, but regardless you'd probably see it as a bright white/yellow or maybe blue light travelling up or across the seam of the airlock.
Welding doors should leave a chat message.
Now that that beautiful welding animation was added, is there a chance of applying it to doors in a future PR?