Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Give handheld tele arts a 3 second action bar
Teleport arts are a little broken. Being able to click a tile and instantly be there is super powerful as it allows the user the disengage from pretty much any bad situation at little risk to the user. I propose we add a 3 second action bar that is interrupted upon moving or being attacked/stunned. This would still keep tele arts extremely powerful tools but not as powerful to escape from active combat with no effort.
They already have a cooldown, why have both an action bar and a cooldown?? If you NEED to nerf it which I don't think you do, just make the minimal cooldown 3 seconds or make low cooldown ones rarer, artifacts are supposed to be OP sometimes anyways and the balance is that you can't get OP ones every shift
(07-19-2021, 02:11 PM)THISISANICEGAME Wrote: They already have a cooldown, why have both an action bar and a cooldown?? If you NEED to nerf it which I don't think you do, just make the minimal cooldown 3 seconds or make low cooldown ones rarer, artifacts are supposed to be OP sometimes anyways and the balance is that you can't get OP ones every shift

There is a line between slightly overpowered and extremely overpowered. Having something be insanely rare but also stupid overpowered isn’t good game balance or design. Not to mention the cooldown range is laughably short.
3 seconds sounds like a lot for it across the board. That said, that still has a use case, even if it takes one away from it currently. If you still wanted to allpw it to be used in combat, I'd say 1 or 1.5 seconds would be a decent lower limit. This is assuming the action bar would be interrupted during movement, if not, then a 3 second timer could add some more unique fun. Like target a tile west of you, then runbeast for 3 seconds.

If the action bar would be interruptable by any action, then I think a proper solution would be to change artifacts such that there are randomly different types of cooldowns on each wand. For example have the action bar "cast time" and the time before next cast "cooldown time" scale inversely. So a 1 second cast time is paired with a 20 second cooldown. Or a 3 second cast time with a 10 second cooldown.
Aren't they infinite use too? Using the wand analogy, would make sense for more artifacts to have limited number of "charges" that get burned up with use, with another artifact acting as a recharger
I have never seen one of these used in combat. I don't think you can stuff these in pockets, so you would have to pull it out of your bag, find a safe spot to teleport during combat, then click there. That takes about 3 seconds if you have REALLY good reaction time
You are greatly overestimating the power of a teleport art.
It can only teleport you to a location within your local vision - it's trivially easy to chase them down as most visible areas (from the one they escape from) are generally next door or a few doors away. You can easily engage them in combat before it can charge up for another action.
--------------
Incoming mini wall text.

There is talk about rarity vs OP above, so I'd just like to bring up that a teleport artifact is really, really rare - hand held artifacts are already heavily RNG reliant to get, and then you still have the roulette on whether it turns out to be a beaker/noisemaker/gun/melee/fire/ice/teleport/etc type.
It's also gated behind varying degrees of difficulty on activating said artifact, which few players have the know how on.

Nerfing something that pops up once in several dozen rounds negatively impacts the fun of scavenging (players who actively explore debris) and mining (players who find artifacts via mining) gameplay, as the stuff you could find becomes less enticing to spend the effort and time to obtain.
This encourages less creativity, as player approach to conflict resorts to a smaller range of options.
This isn't Call of Duty or League of Legends, OP isn't automatically bad. In a game with the depth of SS13, something OP popping up once every twenty shifts or so can be more fun than the entire game being hyper-focused on balance.
The only thing Ive seen teleport artifacts used for is breaking into places and quick escapes. Not for combat. If someone is using a teleport artifact for combat then jeez thats robust. Good on them
I once had xray, and a teleporter art with like 5 second cooldown as antag, and oh boy, did I do well.
Telearts are rare as it is. When you do find one they often have a 30 second or so cooldown. Finding one with a reasonably quick cooldown is very rare. Finding a decent one as an antag is not likely to happen at all.

One thing to note Zafhset "It can only teleport you to a location within your local vision " - you can click in rooms you cant see but are within your screen. IE you can teleport through solid walls as long as you find an empty tile to click on even if its not within your sight.

They can be strong and can be used very effectively but they are far too rare to be worth nerfing imo.