Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make Anaesthetic Useful
A few days ago myself and Eli Vox were carrying out robotic augmentation, noting how wasteful those surgeries are with medicine (assuming the goal is not to kill the patient) and we also noted how Medbay's supply of N2O is never used for anything except evil.

Everyone always gets their surgeries without anaesthetic and currently the only reason to use it at all is for RP (yeah, right).

My suggestion is to make a sedated patient take less brute damage during surgeries as an incentive for doctors to insist their patients be put under before surgery as they don't want to use up half of medbay's supply of styptic for one major surgery. The benefits would be that surgery could now become significantly safer and less resource intensive (or significantly more dangerous, if the surgeon turns out to be villainous).

One might argue that being blackscreened for the duration is not very much fun, however if the anaesthetic cut down on brute damage the surgery would be over faster, as the doctor would not have to hunt down styptic between every step of the way.

I believe the results for medical (and especially robotics) would involve more fun as they'd be able to perform more surgeries, while those daring enough to ask will get a new set of improved limbs (or horrible death, but that's what makes it such an adventure).
Mind you, I don't think manmode surgery should be removed or nerfed at all, I just want there to be a point to using the anaesthetic at all and I think this is the best way to do it.
I think the only time I have used NO2 was to knock out a mindslave so I could be save when re-implanting him. I think it would be a nice addition if being unconscious for any reason reduced brute damage, seeing as you would be unable to struggle in the surgery and such.
Perhaps make it so that people undergoing surgery without anesthetic scream in pain during the operation, with a chance to pass out from the pain or risk shock. Passing out from pain could cause its own set of problems.
Cameron Higgs Wrote:Perhaps make it so that people undergoing surgery without anesthetic scream in pain during the operation, with a chance to pass out from the pain or risk shock. Passing out from pain could cause its own set of problems.

This already happens. People undergoing limb removal without (and with, amusingly enough) scream in pain and will eventually pass out when they reach crit and suffer shock from blood loss.
Of course, since pain RP is not enforced (thank fuck) the first bit rarely bothers the patient, with rare cases going "Ouch! That really fucking hurts!" then happily take part in the rest of the procedure.

The second bit is the reason I made this thread in the first place: the patients don't give a damn about shock or entering crit, as long as they know they'll get patched up, regardless of how much meds gets burned through to do it.

I'm not particularly interested in creating further reasons not to anaesthetize but rather make it a far more viable choice to do so. If you wanted to make surgery without anaesthetic unappealing to a player then you would have to add lasting pain effects, such as twitchiness, stammering and perhaps even occasionally blacking out as a result of all the stress and adrenaline produced during the procedure (it could even mimic an epinephrine overdose), on top of something like brute damage with is healed with liberal amounts of styptic and a hearty pat on the back.

That being said, I'm a "glass half full" type of person, and would rather suggest buffs to one thing that should logically be better than another thing as opposed to suggesting nerfs that would make the other thing worse than it already is.
Make it to where when you're in a certain amount of pain, you flail wildly as if you had berserkers unless you're unconcious.

Then we can knock people out before we cut their arms off!
Doesn't being unconscious, like going to sleep, already kind of heal you a little bit? Make it so going unconscious means you don't take any damage from surgery or medications, heals you a slight bit, and give doctors a way to instantly wake patients up. (Like if you shove someone in a sleeper and turn on the alarm clock) Then you can put someone to sleep, perform safe surgery while they also heal up slightly from their injuries, and wake them up when you're done, better than ever.