Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A use for Toxins?
Currently Toxins is a training grounds for setting up a burn chamber and building bombs. Very rarely is someone in Toxins burning something because they are learning atmospherics, its mostly someone doing it because they want to build a bomb, and they want to detonate it, or to have someone else detonate it. I think that this could be a good thing, and it could be made better.

My suggestion. Cog1 has a layout that gave me an idea, Toxins is right next to Artifact Research, and the test chamber right next to that. I suggest extending the test chamber and making it into an actual defacto detonation site, maybe with some even better reinforced floors, or just like, a geode style asteroid that the station dragged in.

Toxins and Artifact research could work together. Currently Artifacts are found, scanned, and then either pocketed, ignored, or sold via cargo for paltry amounts of cash. I suggest we blow them up. If you come across an overabundance of artifacts and no reason to keep five borgers, you can blow some up. Come across some dangerous artifacts? Blow them up. Each artifact should have explosion resistance, and you need to destroy the artifact with a specific amount of damage, otherwise you simply destroy them.

Destroying artifacts in this manner should give rare materials that are either unobtainable otherwise, or very hard to attain. We could even put in new materials that these artifacts are made of.

Suggestions for their use.

Material Science could have some new stuff, or a new method of obtaining some of the hard to create MatSci items.
Something to use to assist Engineering. Examples include a super dense matter that can be fed to a singularity to increase its output. A volatile material that can be place into a TEG burn chamber to assist in hellburning.
Chemistry being able to gain access to otherwise unobtainable chems, or new chems.
Other possible suggestions?

In the end, I think it would just be nice to have a reason to actually have something going on in toxins, and not immediately having security starting to sweat at the mere mention of "Security, Toxins is currently setup."
+1, but I need more characters so I am just gonna say in this elongated message that I agree with you.
Good idea, toxins is pretty much antag only as building bombs is incredibly suspicious.
I like that idea a lot actually. Also, for a while I thought it would be cool if you could sell canisters of HOT GAS, or pre-made bombs like TTVs at the qm for money.
I agree with kyle saying we should be able to sell bombs via QM and get money based on the power of the bomb but if that was a thing we should be able to make tank transfers. There are only like uhh 8 on station.
YO, now these are some great ideas, Toxins would definitely be a lot more fun if you did not have secĀ on your tail constantly when doing it as an antag, and also having more reasons to mess with atmospherics for non-destructive purposes, plus with the possibility of the upcoming explosive resonance chamber it could flourish into a surge of people learning going to and learning how to use sci for good reasons and not just to self antag all the time, also working different sections of sci working together more would be great and probably a lot more fun.
I feel as though as an artifact scientist I am unlikely to let the toxins person blow my artifacts up when I could sell them instead to potentially get more artifacts. ?
Maybe that should be adressed, because some weird materials are unlikely to motivate the science team unless they are very interesting, seeing as the research department doesn't even have a nanofab or anything.
Maybe if there were new interesting gass's you could create by mixing them at certain temperatures, that could have interesting, helpful or harmful effects too. Then you could safely release like, a beneficial gas in areas.
(07-16-2021, 12:42 PM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: I feel as though as an artifact scientist I am unlikely to let the toxins person blow my artifacts up when I could sell them instead to potentially get more artifacts. ?
Maybe that should be adressed, because some weird materials are unlikely to motivate the science team unless they are very interesting, seeing as the research department doesn't even have a nanofab or anything.

Thats where engineering comes in! Here at Engineering, with the singularity now putting out deadly levels of radiation, our PTL is now online and cutting a hot blue laser across space straight to Centcomm! We've got a steady flow of cash being sent straight to cargo to buy more artifacts! Don't forget! Our miners here in engineering are here to help! With their mining magnet and our patented Nanotrasen Only cargo transporter, we send our artifacts straight to the Artifact research pad! Engineering! For you!
An idea i had for a while, and something Id much prefer to see, is allowing toxins to be able to uncompress uqill into various materials. Most of these normal materials you can find on the station.. others maybe not so much.
I'd love to see toxin mixes used to make rockets that you used to launch mapping probes and satellites or warp relays as part of telescience or mining to blow up larger asteroids and knock ore loose to pull in with the magnet. Different mixes would have different ranges, so you'd have to tweak the mix to get it to hit where you want.

Being able to use them with pods as some kind of engine booster could be fun too
(07-16-2021, 01:41 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I'd love to see toxin mixes used to make rockets that you used to launch probes and satellites you'd launch as part of telescience by creating warp relays or mining to blow up larger asteroids and knock ore loose to pull in with the magnet. Different mixes would have different ranges, so you'd have to tweak the mix to get it to hit where you want.

Being able to use them with pods as some kind of engine booster could be fun too

Toxins rocket fuel could be quite neat, better rocket fuel, MORE SPEED. Also probes could be neat
I have to agree that rocket fuel is an ingenious way to promote making highly combustible mixes for reasons other than blowing stuff up.

I feel like the problem with a lot of toxins suggestions is that since toxins is typically used for making bombs, the usual suggestion is "what if you made bombs but got paid for it instead", which has always struck me as a little odd. Making it about fuel mixes, though, is a great way to avoid that problem while still allowing the goal of toxins to be directly tied to the use case of bomb-making, since either way you'll be trying to make mixes that go up in pressure very fast.