Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
How to Reduce Singulo Monkey Lag
So earlier today on donut 3, I did a setup where I redirect the cargo imports directly into the singularity, and then after finding a starstone, I would constantly buy hundreds of monkey crates to go into the singulo. It worked nicely, but the problem is that every time the singularity eats a fresh pile of monkeys, the server quite literally froze for a solid second because 16 monkeys all just got eaten simultaneously.

Deciding on a different fodder for the singulo isnt as fun, because the idea of automatically feeding hundreds of monkeys to a black hole is hilarious, also the blood it creates is also hilarious.

Ideas:
Different type of monkey crate, one that is more dense, but only contains one monkey, perhaps a super monkey. An absolute unit of a monkey. This way, instead of the singularity eating four monkeys in each crate, it only eats one.

Another idea could be just to optimize the singularity to not be so laggy, but that’s easier said than done.
Thread is moot
A.) singularity no longer gibs mobs, just deletes outright
B.) monkeys are now obtained via trader instead of infinite purchase. No more spamming thousands of monkeys from crates jesus christ
And Space Jesus wept. For there were no more space- worlds to conquer.
pain
i feel like there could have been better options to fix this
Pain.

I feel like ordering monkeys as a QM to sell their organs just got nerfed by this without reason.
One of the admins I was talking about in the discord server said they didn’t even determine the true source of the lag. However, it seems everyone was in agree that the gibbing was the source of lag, so why remove it from QM console?

And if people say that buying a huge amount of monkeys are also a cause of lag (which I didnt notice any lag outside of monkeys going into the singulo), then why don’t you just make the monkeys non-existent up until the crate is opened, make the unopened monkey crate itself as dense as 4 monkeys

I’m not sure what other ways there are to optimally feed the singulo, I wasn’t familiar with the loafer but I heard it got nerfed into the ground too.
(07-13-2021, 07:13 PM)Jakson Wrote: One of the admins I was talking about in the discord server said they didn’t even determine the true source of the lag. However, it seems everyone was in agree that the gibbing was the source of lag, so why remove it from QM console?

And if people say that buying a huge amount of monkeys are also a cause of lag (which I didnt notice any lag outside of monkeys going into the singulo), then why don’t you just make the monkeys non-existent up until the crate is opened, make the unopened monkey crate itself as dense as 4 monkeys

I’m not sure what other ways there are to optimally feed the singulo, I wasn’t familiar with the loafer but I heard it got nerfed into the ground too.

Yeah aparently one of the only tricks you could do with the singulo when it worked was to set up the input pipes to go through loafers set on nugget mode as in the past setting it to nugget mode produced 3 nuggets per thing, but that got removed for lag reasons
Prehaps we could bring this back in a form and have higher tier loafs count as multiple items for singulo feeding?
(07-13-2021, 08:33 PM)Rilor Wrote:
(07-13-2021, 07:13 PM)Jakson Wrote: One of the admins I was talking about in the discord server said they didn’t even determine the true source of the lag. However, it seems everyone was in agree that the gibbing was the source of lag, so why remove it from QM console?

Yeah aparently one of the only tricks you could do with the singulo when it worked was to set up the input pipes to go through loafers set on nugget mode as in the past setting it to nugget mode produced 3 nuggets per thing, but that got removed for lag reasons
Prehaps we could bring this back in a form and have higher tier loafs count as multiple items for singulo feeding?

I agree, I would love to get to use it again and learn

Imo a bit more thought should be put into these changes after a rare occurrence because someone like me lags the server. Felt like a very impulsive thing to do
Disabling content that is being used in a manner that negatively impacts all players ability to play the game seems like a good thing to do impulsively.  A more calculated approach can then be made or maybe we find that it was the right move and no additional action is needed.

Monkey crates have been an item that has been discussed and complained about fairly regularly.  

Improvise, adapt, and overcome!

(07-13-2021, 05:49 PM)Jakson Wrote: Ideas:
Different type of monkey crate, one that is more dense, but only contains one monkey, perhaps a super monkey. An absolute unit of a monkey. This way, instead of the singularity eating four monkeys in each crate, it only eats one.

Another idea could be just to optimize the singularity to not be so laggy, but that’s easier said than done.

I like what you mentioned regarding density. Having the singularity scale the gain with w_class, material density, and rarity(?) of the material could open up possibilities.  Could also have some interesting interactions with artifacts... maybe it forces it to grow... maybe it gets stronger... maybe it gets weaker... maybe it disappears and reappears... maybe it collapses and leaves something/someone special behind.
(07-14-2021, 07:58 AM)Azrun Wrote: Disabling content that is being used in a manner that negatively impacts all players ability to play the game seems like a good thing to do impulsively.  A more calculated approach can then be made or maybe we find that it was the right move and no additional action is needed.

Monkey crates have been an item that has been discussed and complained about fairly regularly.  

Improvise, adapt, and overcome!

If this is temporary, I’m fine with it. I just fear it’s a permanent fix that won’t be touched ever again. Gibbing explosions in the singularity are cool and satisfying to see a big gibbing explosion after throwing someone in.

The top two most optimal methods of feeding the singulo have been nerfed hard. And I’ve always heard people talk about the idea of making monkeys non-existent until the crate is opened, it doesn’t seem like a difficult thing to implement.
You can still get infinite monkeys. Just use the cartridges on the vend-a-chimps around the station. This just makes that not zero effort.
Then I think QM should get a vend-a-chimp by default.

Organ harvesting is fun and good training.
God a vend a chimp by default would be terrible as hell, rife for quartermasters to ruin other quartermasters day with. Its important to note that the kitchen crate kit contains a vendochimp. A QM can easily get vendochimps from that.
(07-14-2021, 03:22 PM)Ikea Wrote: God a vend a chimp by default would be terrible as hell, rife for quartermasters to ruin other quartermasters day with. Its important to note that the kitchen crate kit contains a vendochimp. A QM can easily get vendochimps from that.

50,000 credits to buy one vendochimp
(07-14-2021, 05:54 PM)Jakson Wrote:
(07-14-2021, 03:22 PM)Ikea Wrote: God a vend a chimp by default would be terrible as hell, rife for quartermasters to ruin other quartermasters day with. Its important to note that the kitchen crate kit contains a vendochimp. A QM can easily get vendochimps from that.

50,000 credits to buy one vendochimp
Yes? 50k isnt hard for a qm to get. And for the surgery strategy you really only need one vendochimp.