Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Make welder attacks require eye protection
You can't weld a door without burning your eyes, why can you weld a man? Welders are a high damage item that's easy to find and while it's great to see people using tools creatively, they should need that extra step as currently they're fairly powerful low effort anti blob/critter weapons that also hurt people pretty good.
I know you're discussing this primarily for balance reasons, but to answer your opening question, irl you don't really need to worry about the light from an acetylene torch when you're not actively welding something

the eye damage comes from drawing a bead or performing a cut while staring at hot metal (which radiates light quite brightly!) for several seconds at a time. the intensity is a lot lower when your jamming the flame into human flesh and not staring directly at the business end for prolonged periods

again, gameplay isn't beholden to real life, but that's why
oh. frown
it makes sense when you remember "hot metal gives off light" is literally what makes incandescent light bulbs work, and welding makes metal very, very hot.
said similar in discord, but i would rather critters/blobs have less fire vulnerability instead of requiring masks for the welder, as i am currently pretty happy with the welder as a mob vs. mob weapon