Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Eliminate Manta's movement
Alright, one of the biggest issues folks have with Manta is it's size.  The place is just way too small for antags, but beyond that the ship's movement and dangerous propellers render going outside a potential death sentence.

So, since we can't seem to agree on removing Manta from the rotation, how about we disable it's movement at the very least?  No other map suffers from the same problem and every single one of the other common maps is already more suitable for indoor antag stuff.
Ehh, the big thing that fucks over antags isnt the size, its the oppressive design with walls, cameras, electrified windows, and lack of maint. The movement is the one thing that makes manta unique and one of the biggest reasons why people dont want manta remover. Not to mention leaving manta is a hard thing to do, and is roughly equivalent to getting spaced, if you fall out of manra you deserve to have a hard time coming back.
Huh? Mantas movement is one of the things most interesting about Manta. If you dont want manta to move around just turn it off on the bridge or get the heads to do it.
Hmm yes let's remove one of the most interesting things about the map

Tell the AI or one of the heads to stop it before going outside.
Nobody picks Manta because it moves, they pick it because they like the ship design. The ship "moving" is a vestigial mechanic at this point; a pointless addition that lets us move from one blank z-level to another blank z-level. If there was a point to moving from one area to the next (resource gathering, fleeing enemies) it would be incredible. Until then, why not put it back on the shelf?

If you still want people to walk outside and die on accident, we'll always have those giant blenders on the bottom of the ship and that blue shit that kills you when you breathe it in.
First off, the movement is undeniably a part of the ship asthetic. If it was a sub that didnt move, then whats the point. A very common take ive seen with people who enjoy manta is that theyd enjoy another sub map with the same movement as a replacement. That aside, I find the idea of a map thats hard to safely move outside of an interesting concept, even on space maps you can go outside for short walks, and on oshan, as long as you got internals and pay attention to trench holes its safe. Its not hard to accidentally fall out either, the few enterances to the outside are in maintence tucked away. The movement is the one interesting map design manta makes and removing that i feel like would dampen it.
maybe a decent middle ground would be to keep the ship movement but slow it down so people can actually catch up with the ship by swimming
That sounds very agreeable to me.
how about more moving ship maps, like for example make destiny and clarion move
Theyre both ships and thatd be cool
I mean a ship moving in space wouldn’t function like a ship moving in water, it would just be a scrolling background since there’s no drag to stop you from continuing forward.

The only way I could see it working and looking decent is maybe if pods are tied to the background, while people aren’t?
I think a system where people moved back but pods stayed still would make more sense, since the ship is moving away from you, youd still be moved back, while pods could say have an automatic system that makes them stay still
(07-09-2021, 09:55 PM)Mushroom Wrote: I mean a ship moving in space wouldn’t function like a ship moving in water, it would just be a scrolling background since there’s no drag to stop you from continuing forward.

The only way I could see it working and looking decent is maybe if pods are tied to the background, while people aren’t?

With how interstellar and even interplanetary(depending on destination) travel works, the most practical approach(assuming you care about travel time and that you aren't just doing a flyby) with anything other than magic FTL/trying to aerobrake in the stellar corona or even the upper layers of stellar atmosphere/planet's atmosphere is to constantly be either accelerating or decelerating in order to cut down on travel time and to keep the G's at acceptable levels.

So you accelerate 50% of the way and then turn the ship around and slow down the rest of the way, both probably at 1G for artificial gravity. This mostly applies to fusion engines though since they have a high enough efficiency to keep burning for such long durations at high power.

So you could have movement relative to the ship even in space if we assume that the ship maps are in transit. A ship in orbit is another thing though.
The only thing the movement on manta does is confine everyone to an already small map; lest they wanna fend for themself in the trench. All it does is limit people, why keep it.
Why not just remove Manta?

Since it moving is clearly such a big deal breaker and absolutely nobody knows how to stop the ship at all.

Moving onto more serious things, Space ships would be a bit more difficult to simulate movement for reasons stated above. Things on earth slow to a stop because everything is constantly being pulled in by Earth's gravity. If something is moving in space, it will keep moving until something stops it, and anything moving with it will retain its movement relative to what it left unless something forces it to stop.

An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion at a constant speed and direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. With nothing in space acting as an opposite force, it doesn't make logical sense for someone jumping from a spaceship to suddenly stop moving with it.

To be fair we could say "Fuck reality" because it would hardly be the least realistic thing about the game, of course.
What if we opened the floor to producing areas that manta could move to?