Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Security hacking difficulty
(07-08-2021, 10:31 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Add some alarm wires that when cut/pulsed both make loud noises and pda alert Sec

I like this idea. I'd go further and make sure that the alarm wires don't give any indication to the person hacking open the door that they have been triggered. You could also have the same alert ping the AI to make them aware. Makes sense that security doors would have... extra security.
(07-12-2021, 05:32 AM)palpetinus Wrote: Idea: give sec PDAs a tool that lets them bolt and unbolt doors the inserted ID has access to in a 3x3 (immediately adjacent) radius. It's nothing a screwdriver and multitool couldn't already do, it'd just be more convenient for sec.

This makes no sense to me, if I am an antagonist and I bolt someone somewhere why should they just be able to leave that room?

Sec is already one of the most convenient jobs out there anyways, their entire department could explode but they still would be able to get the essential for their job in sec outposts.
Genetics should get some of those QoL additions. Breaking into their department is far worse than breaking into security.
(07-13-2021, 03:52 PM)THISISANICEGAME Wrote:
(07-12-2021, 05:32 AM)palpetinus Wrote: Idea: give sec PDAs a tool that lets them bolt and unbolt doors the inserted ID has access to in a 3x3 (immediately adjacent) radius. It's nothing a screwdriver and multitool couldn't already do, it'd just be more convenient for sec.

This makes no sense to me, if I am an antagonist and I bolt someone somewhere why should they just be able to leave that room?

Sec is already one of the most convenient jobs out there anyways, their entire department could explode but they still would be able to get the essential for their job in sec outposts.

Hey, I'm just spitballing here. As I said, it's nothing a screwdriver and multitool can't already do, two items that are fairly easy to acquire.
Of course neither will work if you just cut the power wires too.
I don't think alarm wires will be effective by themselves because any decent door hacker works on a test door first and so will only cut and pulse the wires that don't trigger the alert.

I don't like the idea of every door being a unique hack. I don't want to play a game for literally every door where I pulse every wire starting from the top because there is no strategy to deal with the RNG besides trial and error. The current system is "decent" only because the number of times you play that game is limited.

On the other hand I do think a limited form of that idea works. Like combining alarm wires with making sec department doors have a different wire setup so you are forced on your first hack attempt to risk alerting sec.

The only reason why I would be against Palp's idea is because I really really like it when Sec is working with the AI to coordinate that kind of thing and that idea kind nullifies any need for the AI to help with that.
Make a new kind of "reinforced doors":
- more HP
- twice the amount of wires, a bunch shocking you, a few others sending an alert to security PDAs
- requires an ID with some specific access (idk, chief engineer related) to uncover the panel screws
- ID check can be bypassed by using a bunch of different tools to open the panel anyway, leaving visible evidence of the panel having been forcibly openned
- takes 2 seconds to crowbar open
- noisier than a regular door to crowbar open (make longer and louder noises)
BONUS:
- The wire order is randomized (but wire color-function pairings remain the same)