Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Remove shower need from RP
There's already a dirtiness system with bloody clothes and everything, and nobody ever showers so it just makes the whole crew smell like shit in an unrealistic amount of time, which causes a lot of annoying spam. Remove the shower meter!
On one hand, having a reason to wander off alone into a secluded room that often lacks camera coverage and take off your fancy armor is good in my opinion. On the other hand, you don't have a reason to do that, because hygiene doesn't do anything other than cause messages to appear.

I remember something about the hygiene motive being tied to viral resistance or something like that? Maybe when pathology is reenabled (lol) people will care more about the motive.

If hygiene gets reworked a little, it should probably have a real mechanical consequence of some sort and take a little longer to go up (as opposed to going from 0 to perfectly full by standing under a shower for a single cycle or whatever)
Keep showers.
(07-08-2021, 03:20 AM)cyberTripping Wrote: I remember something about the hygiene motive being tied to viral resistance or something like that? Maybe when pathology is reenabled (lol) people will care more about the motive.
[Image: ntk3n5k.jpg]
Also, to be more precise, when Pathology is enabled, low hygiene can give you a really weak pathogen that can't spread. When pathology gets reenabled (lol) we should maybe change that to something else, idk. I mean, who really keeps up their hygiene right now?

Concerning showers, the way cleansing yourself is implemented is actually really neat, it happens via touch effects of chems, so you get clean because water has a good hygiene_value!
(Fun fact, the highest hygiene value chem is space cleaner, the second highest is CLF3. Let's not talk about what the lowest hygiene value chems are.)

I actually hate to have this be practically unused, because it is exactly the kind of unneeded detail that I think makes this game great.
Maybe there could be some kind of actual incentive to use other chems and methods to get clean (or dirty)?
I wonder if you could use something like space cleaner patches to keep yourself clean right now...
As a possible suggestion for a rework:

Keep the smelliness stuff but keep it on inspect/in very close proximity, and *say who smells bad* so they can be shamed. This isn't the most important thing though; that would be to have reagent containers you're holding slowly accumulate with some random chems like carbon and blood and water and such - whenever you pick one up, if you have too low Hygiene, you just start to contaminate your lab equipment. Perhaps also have a small chance to drop small objects because your hands are so greasy? And, of course, Merchants would be disgusted with you and give you massive trade penalties. Perhaps also have Beepsky automatically apply a pre-approved (small) fine for you if he sees you all filthy? It *is* against NT policy, after all!

Just some spitballed ideas, really.
I left the hygiene need in mostly because, on the rp server, I figured that peeps would have rp reasons to not want to be smelly
(07-08-2021, 08:58 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: I left the hygiene need in mostly because, on the rp server, I figured that peeps would have rp reasons to not want to be smelly

I know some folks like to keep up with it (like me) but there's certainly a sizable contingent of people who do not care. I'm actually somewhat interested in what the breakdown is now that i think about it
Should leave behind little gas clouds so people can track you by your smell
It is kind of immersion breaking having a dozen people in the room and nine of them smell like pig shit and everyone ks ignoring it so they can rp despite the spam
As aft said, the messages need to tell you who is smelly, so they can be shamed into showering. Or hunted by security.
Also if you're particularly dirty you should be visibly dirty upon inspection, and at worst your sprite should have a green overlay with flies. As an AI player I'd like this so I can loudly and proudly shame people I spot very visibly not showering and staying filthy, and reminding people of NT policy.
I'd rather it had a bigger detriment to make people actually care about it than it be removed. I definitely agree that its current state sucks though.
stink lines
stink lines
I'd be happy with basically any change that reduces the amount of motive spam in chat, because having it cluttered up with "You stink!" "Someone around here smells like a butt!" "You drank something two minutes ago but then you existed for two minutes!" in red text contributes to making the chatbox something that people get used to not paying attention to. And that's definitely something people complain about on RP!

That being said, I think we can do better than just making it more punishing. Why not some carrots instead of just sticks?

- Teeth brushing. It increases hygiene and makes you feel minty fresh! A small Refreshed buff maybe?
- Deodorant. You apply it and it prevents you from automatic hygiene decay. You can still have your hygiene reduced by things like standing in miasma or puking on yourself. Find it in the bathrooms or crew quarters! Or make it somehow!
- Cleaning grenades also increase the hygiene of everyone standing in the soapy foam. Because sometimes you don't want to stop RP just to deal with smelly people. Someone pop a grenade and we can move on. (Maybe make the radius smaller to compensate, so that janitors aren't totally out of a job?)

On the subject of stink lines:
- If it does happen, it should be only when hygiene is at 0%.
- All admin mice should have them permanently. It's realistic that way.