Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A small change to the trick revolver
The trick revolver is an interesting antag clown item. A gun that shoots whoever tries to use it is deliciously ironic and a perfect addition to the clown's arsenal of deadly jokes. The issue comes from the fact it uses the revolver sprite. For one, that sprite is already used for the russian revolver, so people dont usually dive at it immediatly. Secondly, its also the same sprite as the "fake" revolver you can get in duck eggs, so already people are suspicious that the gun is a dud. Lastly, everyone knows by now that if you find a revolver somewhere and the clown was anywhere near it, there's a very good chance it'll puncture your skull if you dare try to aim it.

My suggestion is the following; Keep the gun functionnaly the same, but do one of two things.

-Make it so it spawns with a randomised sprite taken from a whitelist of kinetic guns. Eligible examples would include the det's special, the colt, the predator revolver, the branwen and the clock for example. That way you might get a trick revolver that looks like a det's special and gets people pretty interested in it. The idea is to keep people guessing and force them to not rely on meta knowledge.

-Or use the same whitelist as above, but right clicking the gun gives a menu that lets you pick and choose from a whitelist of sprites, like the chameleon jumpsuit, to choose the best possible sprite to fool people.

This would help turn this oft overlooked item into one that has some more room for shenanigans and evil clownery. Who doesnt like some ironic karmic justice as some looter gets a faceful of lead when he gleefully points the barrel at a "disarmed" clown?
Yeah a randomized gun sprite would make it much better or the chameleon jumpsuit menu idea. Only other thing Id suggest is if this happens people might just try to reload the gun if it was a zip gun sprite or .38 sprite and obviously you cant reload a fake gun. Make it so the gun accepts the ammo I suppose.
I don't know. I was thinking about this but last week on Discord Mordent said they get a lot of kills with the trick revolver, Arthur Holiday agreed that half the time it works.

If it already works sometimes for a 1TC item it probably can't be buffed. We could maybe use the real revolver sprite because there's still a bunch of other tells.
I get kills pretty reliably with it when I use it.  Sometimes I have to work a bit, like buy two and challenge someone to a duel, but people are pretty fond of grabbing anything that looks like a gun.
Sure it works but why should that stop us from making it a cooler item?
All I want is the name to be changed from “revolver” to “Predator Revolver” and you need to examine it to find out it’s fake. Any player who knows what the trick revolver does can easily tell it’s fake with a single glance.