Poll: Do you like the atmos changes?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yea atmos changes are good.
38.46%
10 38.46%
No. They Aren’t.
61.54%
16 61.54%
Total 26 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
How do you guys feel about the atmos “rework”?
We’ve been rocking these atmos changes for a few months now, and im curious what the general community consensus is on them. Personally ive witnessed new methods like pipe burns get expanded upon, but really nothing over a few MW has been achieved without azone rushing that has since been removed.

So, Do you guys like the changes?
We got an atmosphere rework?
My bomb mix still works and Ive been using it since 2011. Seems like atmos is fine
I mean the hellburn nerfs, you cant burn past like 80k now with the normal burn mix.
(07-06-2021, 08:50 AM)Froggit_Dogget Wrote: I mean the hellburn nerfs, you cant burn past like 80k now with the normal burn mix.

Oh that thing

Yeah I hate it
Old Atmospherics in a nutshell was set up cans in proper configuration, sometimes put an empty can on the lines (For later) and cut your holes. Now if you maintain pipes for a short while and just barely babysit it, you could have a nice rip roaring hellburn. Am I missing much? Cutting all the fire alarms for easily moving around engineering, using the empty can to pull superheated gas and then putting it back into the hotloop feed to spike the output, stuff.

Now what do we have to do to get high temps? Right so..

Set up cans, burn chamber oxygen can needs to be spiked, so I need to drag the air filter into the router and start farting. I'm likely farting here till said engineers preferred kPa. I like 400 kPa. Now i've spent 5m farting like 300 times, I can now mix an o2 can with my fart filter and plop that on the engine. I'm also going to try for every mW I can get, so i'm going to put the filter on the hotloop too and tweak the kPa input on the valve to somewhat match the mix that the burn chamber has.

Then I need to cut all the hole in the floor like normal because it still burns itself down. Now I need to go to mechanics, I need to setup a teleporter system into the burn chamber so that I can warp molitz B into the chamber. But, if I warp molitz B in now, it would just float off into space. So I also need to build some dumbass containment unit. The only thing I can think of right now that is a blocker but also allows gas to flow over it? Air filters. So I fill the burn chamber with them but set them to off, and then I put a telepad in the middle.

Alright i've got my Molitz cage set, now I NEED Molitz. So let me go pray that mining gives a single fuck about anyone else on the entire station and go check that out, lets say by mercy, its there. Now I need to go to the clown hole and get helium, because I need Harm lube to lube up the turbines, then I need to either frozen fart if i'm lazy, but we apparently aren't here, I need to Electrum plate the engine core. Just doing that takes a good 10m. Now I need to hotwire the engine onto itself, because if this burn is actually successful, the engine will literally fucking kill itself because APC's don't charge fast enough. By the grace of god, if things keep going I need to babysit the burn chamber to always put Molitz in every 4m, make sure pipes don't burst, purge the engine every so often, etc etc etc. Its like i'm driving a locomotive and i'm going 5mph for all my work.

If my engine burn actually works, engineering is now superheated (Barely) and also the APC is hotwired and unsafe. After all that work i'd appreciate SOME power output, but its abysmal and terrible. No, I do not like the new atmospheric works.

If we had the ability to put molitz b into the gas extractor and fab a Molitz B can and then mix that with a gas and put it straight into the burn chamber i'd be just a tad bit happier. Maybe even putting frozen Farts into the fab could make a fart can too. More gases would be nice.
(07-06-2021, 09:48 AM)RGBDeadSilent Wrote: Old Atmospherics in a nutshell was set up cans in proper configuration, sometimes put an empty can on the lines (For later) and cut your holes. Now if you maintain pipes for a short while and just barely babysit it, you could have a nice rip roaring hellburn. Am I missing much? Cutting all the fire alarms for easily moving around engineering, using the empty can to pull superheated gas and then putting it back into the hotloop feed to spike the output, stuff.

Set up cans, burn chamber oxygen can needs to be spiked, so I need to drag the air filter into the router and start farting. I'm likely farting here till said engineers preferred kPa. I like 400 kPa. Now i've spent 5m farting like 300 times, I can now mix an o2 can with my fart filter and plop that on the engine. I'm also going to try for every mW I can get, so i'm going to put the filter on the hotloop too and tweak the kPa input on the valve to somewhat match the mix that the burn chamber has.

Then I need to cut all the hole in the floor like normal because it still burns itself down. Now I need to go to mechanics, I need to setup a teleporter system into the burn chamber so that I can warp molitz B into the chamber. But, if I warp molitz B in now, it would just float off into space. So I also need to build some dumbass containment unit. The only thing I can think of right now that is a blocker but also allows gas to flow over it? Air filters. So I fill the burn chamber with them but set them to off, and then I put a telepad in the middle.

Alright i've got my Molitz cage set, now I NEED Molitz. So let me go pray that mining gives a single fuck about anyone else on the entire station and go check that out, lets say by mercy, its there. Now I need to go to the clown hole and get helium, because I need Harm lube to lube up the turbines, then I need to either frozen fart if i'm lazy, but we apparently aren't here, I need to Electrum plate the engine core. Just doing that takes a good 10m. Now I need to hotwire the engine onto itself, because if this burn is actually successful, the engine will literally fucking kill itself because APC's don't charge fast enough. By the grace of god, if things keep going I need to babysit the burn chamber to always put Molitz in every 4m, make sure pipes don't burst, purge the engine every so often, etc etc etc. Its like i'm driving a locomotive and i'm going 5mph for all my work.

If my engine burn actually works, engineering is now superheated (Barely) and also the APC is hotwired and unsafe. After all that work i'd appreciate SOME power output, but its abysmal and terrible. No, I do not like the new atmospheric works.

If we had the ability to put molitz b into the gas extractor and fab a Molitz B can and then mix that with a gas and put it straight into the burn chamber i'd be just a tad bit happier. Maybe even putting frozen Farts into the fab could make a fart can too. More gases would be nice.

Sounds way more engaging than previously. I like it.

You do not have to make a super-power-mega-hyper-ultra-stonks-burn. Most maps are fine with solars and if need be some char burn or some easy going little burn to top it off.

If you got that intricate system around nowadays I am willing to give the engine another try. Sounds fun.
Issue is, most maps are fine with solars. Even if you spend an entire round doing stuff SUPER tediously, and somehow, SOMEHOW, nothing goes wrong, like a bomb anywhere near engineering, or god forbid its a short round, you still cant even reach a gigawatt. You can get maybe 100 mw, after tons of work. 100mw hotwires dont do much in terms of hotwires, so theres no antag potential, nor is there any PTL potential, as those dont even gib people until 5 GW. When’s the last time youve seen someone get the medal, “For your ohm good”?

Its just not worth the effort when 99% of the times you wont finish and the other 1% the reward is not worth it.
(07-06-2021, 10:10 AM)GORE Wrote:
(07-06-2021, 09:48 AM)RGBDeadSilent Wrote: Old Atmospherics in a nutshell was set up cans in proper configuration, sometimes put an empty can on the lines (For later) and cut your holes. Now if you maintain pipes for a short while and just barely babysit it, you could have a nice rip roaring hellburn. Am I missing much? Cutting all the fire alarms for easily moving around engineering, using the empty can to pull superheated gas and then putting it back into the hotloop feed to spike the output, stuff.

Sounds way more engaging than previously. I like it.

You do not have to make a super-power-mega-hyper-ultra-stonks-burn. Most maps are fine with solars and if need be some char burn or some easy going little burn to top it off.

If you got that intricate system around nowadays I am willing to give the engine another try. Sounds fun.

Intricate? Yes, spamming F, not fun. Lets say i'm an antagonist CE and I want to use my engine for death.

Singularity. Two choices, I either build a large containment cage and build a super massive Singularity, discard my singularity buster and then sabotage cargo so that they don't receive a new buster, or I build a super massive singularity and I build a TON of collectors around it to then use power gloves if I rolled Traitor specifically. Last supermassive I saw that had collectors all around it had like... maybe a dozen MW of power. Thats not really worthwhile with power gloves, so brain dead slow singulo eats nothing (Unless built at escape maybe? But more obvious) and they call the shuttle.

Oshan, the god send for sabotage. First, lets talk RNG. Each shift the hotspots spawn randomly, if you want to know where, pull up the trench map. BAM. It shows all hotspots, but only relative to the trench. Just consider their relative location and find your hotspots. For normal engineering, I can set up all four hotspots with wiring in under 5m usually. Oshan is great, for antagonist, I need to pray for RNG. If the hotspots are all WAAAY away from engineering and all spread out, its not a great shift to stack. If I get God RNG? I'm Traitor? And i've got good spawns? You then make a five stack. Best i've done with a stack is getting a five stack done in 35 minutes on Oshan. That means the shuttle wasn't called because the stations flooding and the other antags haven't murdered everything, but now i've got a super stack, lets talk possibilities.

Super stack can either be used for power with powergloves, and i've gotten some good gigawatts of power with stacks, or, it can be used as a death stack. Changeling is great for this, same with vampire, or stolen security equipment. Stun someone, and throw them onto the stack. GIBS. Permastun and gibbed, horrible horrible death. That, or you drive the deathstack through the station, deleting everything. Best i've seen someone do is I think Flint Logue push it through the station up to medbay, everything was a crater behind him.

TEG... Alright, follow everything I wrote up above, it takes like 40-45m to really get going.... And then you get like 5 MW of power. Its useless and it does nothing, you could vent plasma into the hallways from the engine, but its only slightly hotter than just pushing plasma cans into the hallways and air hookups. And fuck that, if I want to plasmaflood, i'll do it a completely different way anyways. Its terrible for antagonist behavior, and very unrewarding for its hard work on any engineer.

I don't mind hard work GORE. I love death stacks, even as a non-antag its great. I've achieved something through hard work. My huge singularities? Beautiful in all their radiation, even if it spills out of engineering and into the halls (Shame on you, you shouldn't have looked straight into it, and wear a suit!) But the TEG is just pathetic and i'm not sorry for saying it.
Tip for yall, use blowers, this is unrelated but use a multitool on the side after you hotwire engine apc and turn them up to like 30000. They help a lot. I can get 15-20 MW stable on a good burn with em.

But uhh, for my actual thoughts, the fabbable canister method is boring, but god the crystals are v unfun to use. rn its toss one in every minute or else youre fucked, theres no real way to automate this. I really should finish that pr huh..
this is gonna be good

Title got me excited... 

A big driving factor for these changes was it was pretty easy to accidently melt the station. I found the conditions to hellburn infinitely faster just trying to start the chamber as fast as possible.... This can then lead to an early shuttle to the detriment of the round. wordjo

Sorry I'm going to come in and ask questions again.
What do you want that extra power for? What are you missing out on? Should there just be an antagonist items to help unlock this behavior?  Do you want the extra power? Extra temperature?

One of these days I gotta sit down and see how I feel about those blower shenanigans.

I've heard there have been some pretty productive pipe burns recently.
(07-06-2021, 01:17 PM)Azrun Wrote: this is gonna be good

Title got me excited... 

A big driving factor for these changes was it was pretty easy to accidently melt the station. I found the conditions to hellburn infinitely faster just trying to start the chamber as fast as possible.... This can then lead to an early shuttle to the detriment of the round. wordjo

Sorry I'm going to come in and ask questions again.
What do you want that extra power for? What are you missing out on? Should there just be an antagonist items to help unlock this behavior?  Do you want the extra power? Extra temperature?

One of these days I gotta sit down and see how I feel about those blower shenanigans.

I've heard there have been some pretty productive pipe burns recently.

I'll go top to bottom.

Yeah, it was pretty easy to melt the station. I remember one shift in medical just working along and all of a sudden Robotics starts catching on fire, we're wondering whats going on? Suddenly, operating theater is on fire... Oh shit time to get a firesuit. All of medical is on fire, shuttle is called, everyone is dead at escape due to heat exposure, its REAL bad, crazy but also awesome at the same time. Now you literally cannot see this behavior anymore. As far as shuttle being called to the detriment of the round, you can also do that with the Singularity. You can either just sabotage it early on, or some new engineer accidentally turns off the shields.

Extra power has only a few purposes. First is antagonist behavior. One, you want to get power high enough to hotwire the station, folks will started hurting themselves through APCs and through door damage, and then eventually gibbing. Two, Power gloves have zero use, higher power means power gloves have a higher purpose. Three, bragging rights among Chief Engineers. Theres only so many departments where you could really set a high score. QM can make the most cash without a star stone, Science can complete Sol, the chapel can get a cult going. Engineering makes power. Get that 1million credits objective with the PTL, hit exawatts and bask in the glory of the TEG. Just stuff.

Lastly, four which gets its own thing, bombs. Right now you can still TTV pretty good, thats all well and fine, but you really can't reach Canister bomb temperatures anymore. I'm glad i've done my shenanigans with science and blown up the station with Canister bombs a handful of times, because I really don't think you can do it anymore now..

Blower Shenanigans? You mean the blowers sucking up all the power to the TEG?

Yeah, I saw a crazy good pipe burn recently, but it was so beyond what I normally see I thought it was admin shenanigans, dunno.
The whole station burning down was rare, but it happened yea. There are TEG setups that completely seperate engineers atmos from the station, so you can stop that from happening. Back when me and rhyker were AZone rushing for the same exact temperatures, (e+11, e+12 burns) we never had issues with the station burning down on cog1. Granted, on other maps like cog2 there was still the issue, but it was litterly fun! Even when i was new it was always nothing but fun. The engine is SUPPOSED to be dangerous. If you look at other servers, the SM fucks up? It can warrent a shuttle call.
I really just want to be able to have the threat of a superweapon from sci again, the can bomb, I and probably a lot of other people only recently learned how to actually make one properly but never really got the chance to actually detonate it, even before recent changes the stars had to practically align for you to even have a chance at making a can bomb without interference, most of the rapid can bomb detonations I have seen are from camryn and a couple other frequent flyers
science can just make tank transfer bombs and other hugely destructive things still