Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[MERGED PR] Tweak clown shoe slip
Thumbs Up 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[BALANCE][INPUT]

About the PR
Refactors tripsalot to ignore walking and have a cooldown for clown comfort.

Why's this needed?
Why was this stacking two probabilities?
Removed weakened as I could not find any difference before/after in testing except for the weaken seemed to make the laydown be unreliable. Slip handles a knockdown fine.
I found the stuttering to be almost impossible to notice so changed it have a higher minimum.

Current behavior has no control for the clown and just RNG slips them. Now the clown can at least exercise the option to walk and know they won't slip three times in 20 seconds due to RNG.
Clowns would just avoid the shoes instead of deal with it.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Flappybat
(+)Allow walking in clown shoes without slipping and added a cooldown to prevent chain slips.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
honestly id be fine with removing it all together. It doesnt add anything to the game, other then piss off someone playing an already clumsy role.
The life of the clown is meant to be a life of suffering.

Why choose the role made to be as annoying and difficult as possible if you're going to complain about things that make it as annoying and difficult as possible?
Clowns aren't meant to be skilled anything. They suck even at walking.

Put on a hat to avoid brain damage and have fun. If you trip, everyone else laughs. If you trip into a soda machine, everyone else laughs harder.

If you take down a nukie, everyone cheers much louder than they do for the HoS. That is what Clown is about.

Also, skilled clowns DO NOT take their shoes off. Funny is much more important than playing what is basically a staffie with a wacky outfit.

I think them tripping is fine. Walking ignoring it might be okay I guess.
(07-03-2021, 07:57 AM)github_bot Wrote: Some of our most skilled clowns choose to not use their shoes because of the punishing knockdown.

This is a contradiction in terms. Skilled clowns don't remove their shoes. Ever.
This is a fundamental tenet of clowning. Violating it is akin to sacrilege.

(07-03-2021, 07:57 AM)github_bot Wrote: I think this and clumsy are both out of touch with current clowns. Personally I would rather remove this from entirely or make it apply to non clowns only to minimise shoe theft, this is like a RNG disarm shove that can be negated by not wearing iconic clown clothing.

This speaks to a fundamental misunderstanding of the nature of clowns.

Clowns are supposed to be inept and ineffectual. Clown is hardmode. That's the point.

It's trivially easy to sidestep clown's weaknesses. Put on a breath mask, take mutadone, wear different shoes, etc.

The essence of clowning is the refusal to use these methods no matter the danger. You WILL walk through a breach without internals, you WILL trip and drop your sword, and you WILL poke your eye out on a banana.
I am against this change.

If I play clown I play with the downsides in mind. I enjoy it.
I enjoy slipping and dropping something crucial to see it getting stolen by a tider.
I enjoy the life of suffering.

I love chaos. I love demise.
No. Clown HAS to slip. Do not make life easier for the clown. If someone chooses the clown life they should be prepared for all the hardships in it.
Keep tripping while running normal and horrible, and add a cooldown only for walking instead.
The clown must suffer.
(07-03-2021, 08:41 AM)Camryn Wrote:
(07-03-2021, 07:57 AM)github_bot Wrote: Some of our most skilled clowns choose to not use their shoes because of the punishing knockdown.

This is a contradiction in terms. Skilled clowns don't remove their shoes. Ever.
This is a fundamental tenet of clowning. Violating it is akin to sacrilege.
noot is the #1 clown by longshot and they dont use clownshoes
The disadvantage of clown shoes is that by wearing them you are announcing your presence nearby.

Clown is in this weird place on Goon and im not quite sure I understand it. In a world where self antagging is heavily discouraged we have a role which people are almost encouraged to use as a punching bag. My understanding is that historically clown used to be a ban-lite. Someone being a shitter? make them a clown so people abuse them for being a shitter. Fine. At some point this transitioned into a job so people could play it if they wanted to, sure, glutton for punishment or whatever.

It seems to me that Cluwne is essentially what Clown used to be, hence their grief rules regarding cluwnes not existing. Im not sure why there is still this stigma that everything a clown does needs to have a disadvantage attached. Clowns are meant to be entertaining. Its tricky to be an entertaining antag when your interactions whilst wearing your shoes have to be limited to either instant and no possible retaliation, or so light they dont even warrent the person you are clowning on chasing you. This leads to you either going in too strong, or not strong enough.

Unfortunately, the middle ground between those two is currently hindered by haha clown slip haha. If you clown someone enough to make them chase you, which should hopefuly be an engaging experience for both parties involved, you are now at the mercy of haha clown slip funny drop item and short stun. Assuming you arent in space in which case you end up on the next zlevel. Any interesting interaction you can have with another player, whilst using clown shoes, is automatically put at risk for simply wearing a piece of iconic clothing.

Or you can just take them off, be entertaining, and not have an entire gimmick screwed over by rng.

I regularly find things clowns cannot do. Sometimes they are funny, most of the time they just arent necessary. For example, theres no reason that half the time when trying to chug from a container that you instead throw it over your shoulder, spilling what is potentially hard work over the floor or splashing it on someone who happened to be stood behind you. Theres no reason a clown wearing a wrestling belt should still be in a suplex stun longer than the person they suplex. Theres no reason an antag clown with a riot baton should still have stun baton chance to stun and hit themselves. Same with duct tape and self handcuffing.

Skill and refusing to have any fun interaction limited by an RNG roll are not the same thing. I am not a robust player, regardless of perceptions of me, I just dont want to have to deal with things outside of my control if I am trying to be interesting for other players. All other forms of clown fumble can be mostly mitigated. clownstumble cannot bar by removing the shoes.
(07-03-2021, 12:50 PM)NOOT Wrote: The disadvantage of clown shoes is that by wearing them you are announcing your presence nearby.

Clown is in this weird place on Goon and im not quite sure I understand it. In a world where self antagging is heavily discouraged we have a role which people are almost encouraged to use as a punching bag. My understanding is that historically clown used to be a ban-lite. Someone being a shitter? make them a clown so people abuse them for being a shitter. Fine. At some point this transitioned into a job so people could play it if they wanted to, sure, glutton for punishment or whatever.

It seems to me that Cluwne is essentially what Clown used to be, hence their grief rules regarding cluwnes not existing. Im not sure why there is still this stigma that everything a clown does needs to have a disadvantage attached. Clowns are meant to be entertaining. Its tricky to be an entertaining antag when your interactions whilst wearing your shoes have to be limited to either instant and no possible retaliation, or so light they dont even warrent the person you are clowning on chasing you. This leads to you either going in too strong, or not strong enough.

Unfortunately, the middle ground between those two is currently hindered by haha clown slip haha. If you clown someone enough to make them chase you, which should hopefuly be an engaging experience for both parties involved, you are now at the mercy of haha clown slip funny drop item and short stun. Assuming you arent in space in which case you end up on the next zlevel. Any interesting interaction you can have with another player, whilst using clown shoes, is automatically put at risk for simply wearing a piece of iconic clothing.

Or you can just take them off, be entertaining, and not have an entire gimmick screwed over by rng.

I regularly find things clowns cannot do. Sometimes they are funny, most of the time they just arent necessary. For example, theres no reason that half the time when trying to chug from a container that you instead throw it over your shoulder, spilling what is potentially hard work over the floor or splashing it on someone who happened to be stood behind you. Theres no reason a clown wearing a wrestling belt should still be in a suplex stun longer than the person they suplex. Theres no reason an antag clown with a riot baton should still have stun baton chance to stun and hit themselves. Same with duct tape and self handcuffing.

Skill and refusing to have any fun interaction limited by an RNG roll are not the same thing. I am not a robust player, regardless of perceptions of me, I just dont want to have to deal with things outside of my control if I am trying to be interesting for other players. All other forms of clown fumble can be mostly mitigated. clownstumble cannot bar by removing the shoes.

Git gud.

As a clown use a clown's handcuff.

Clown guide:
----------------
Handcuffs < Capulettium pills
Stun baton < Taser, plate
Surgery < A real fucking doctor

There are plenty of things within your control...you just have to acknowledge a different approach to situations when playing clown. Play every other role and your behavior can be the same every time. A clown has to adept. A clown has to have more candy in his puny little balloon brain than all those non-clowns. Clowns are the real heroes and clowns deserve pain for their effort.

If you dislike being a clown with downsides be a tider with a clownsuit. Order some from QM or go to the clown-hole.

I just don't want my masochism be reduced to nothing by people picking a role they are not enjoying from the get-go.

Pick a different role then.
ok, but what does a random chance at slipping every time you walk ADD to the game. Its one of those things that only exist to make the user hate it.
With how clown is, it is surprising that people even play it at all, I think clown would just be less funny if playing it didn't have downsides, by removing the downsides you are essentially making the clown into a staffie with a clownsuit, the downsides are what makes the clown special and that is funny.

IMO, if you want to make clown shoe slips less harsh, make them tied with the clumsly bioeffect, so clowns can suicide and get cloned to get rid of it.
(07-03-2021, 01:26 PM)Froggit_Dogget Wrote: ok, but what does a random chance at slipping every time you walk ADD to the game. Its one of those things that only exist to make the user hate it.

I like it.

You hate it.

The user hates it? Your take on it - not mine.
(07-03-2021, 01:37 PM)THISISANICEGAME Wrote: With how clown is, it is surprising that people even play it at all, I think clown would just be less funny if playing it didn't have downsides, by removing the downsides you are essentially making the clown into a staffie with a clownsuit, the downsides are what makes the clown special and that is funny.

IMO, if you want to make clown shoe slips less harsh, make them tied with the clumsly bioeffect, so clowns can suicide and get cloned to get rid of it.
The clown being clumsy is a huge downside already, and as noot said, theres tons of things that clowns do differently to be funny. This is just one thing that has no purpose, other then giving the clown a 2-3 second stun every time they try to walk.

(07-03-2021, 01:40 PM)GORE Wrote:
(07-03-2021, 01:26 PM)Froggit_Dogget Wrote: ok, but what does a random chance at slipping every time you walk ADD to the game. Its one of those things that only exist to make the user hate it.

I like it.

You hate it.

The user hates it? Your take on it - not mine.

I dont know what about random stuns isnt supposed to make the user hate it.