Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.14 Average
Breaking out of pins is ridiculously difficult, and needs a tweak.
Pins are in a good spot right now. Like others have said it’s easy to escape being pinned in the first place as long as you aren’t stunned.
Running costs stamina, shoving someone who is running at a corner while you are resisting at the same time makes it very easy to escape a pin, people act like it is RNG but 100% of the time when someone does these things and they are at full health and stamina I can't pin them. Pinning someone who is loosing a fight is easier, as it should be.
(07-01-2021, 01:02 AM)Carbadox Wrote: We already have cuffs so I dont even think pins should be a "game over" state and should be considerably nerfed

Pins are really more for the rest of the crew who don't have cuffs. Pin someone, call for Sec, and wait until they show up and cuff them
I can't speak for how pins actually feel in practice since I don't get involved in combat very often, but based on the stated design goals in this thread, I feel like a pin requiring both hands wouldn't be too unreasonable. Lines up with all the stuff about keeping a guy apprehended until sec arrives or keeping someone in one place for others to deal with.

Here's an idea: what if either one or both hands could be used? One hand, you can wail on them but it's easier to break out of. Both hands and it's real hard to break out of, but obviously you can't do much either.
Pinning using both hands would be cool, considering someone can beat you with their off-hand for some reason and just kill you.
I think this is way more realistic and balanced.
This is legitimately the best defense I have as non-sec for defending myself, and others, from idiots running around trying to beat folks up without using obvious traitor gear without resorting to just beating them into crit myself.

It allows me to actually let security do their job and cuff someone rather than me escalating straight to just beating someone... possibly to death.
Pinning as a vampire is realistically the only way to safely get your first kill. The 30 second stun isnt long enough to drain someone, and they can sometimes even get a radio message out. By pinning them you can remove their headset and they wont be able to stand up and run away. It isnt hard to avoid getting pinned, and it isnt hard to break a pin.
(07-02-2021, 06:41 AM)Cal Wrote: Pinning using both hands would be cool, considering someone can beat you with their off-hand for some reason and just kill you.

Okay, that does sound dumb.

I think this is a good compromise.
Additionally as to not affect vampires, you should still be able to bite them, as you'd be restraining them with both hands and your mouth would be free for biting.
(07-02-2021, 08:35 AM)Froggit_Dogget Wrote: Pinning as a vampire is realistically the only way to safely get your first kill. The 30 second stun isnt long enough to drain someone, and they can sometimes even get a radio message out. By pinning them you can remove their headset and they wont be able to stand up and run away. It isnt hard to avoid getting pinned, and it isnt hard to break a pin.

There's this thing called "strangulation".
(07-02-2021, 08:35 AM)Froggit_Dogget Wrote: Pinning as a vampire is realistically the only way to safely get your first kill. The 30 second stun isnt long enough to drain someone, and they can sometimes even get a radio message out. By pinning them you can remove their headset and they wont be able to stand up and run away. It isnt hard to avoid getting pinned, and it isnt hard to break a pin.
This is the reasoning as to why I don't think changing pinning is a good idea.

Sometimes as a vampire you can get away with simply strangling someone and draining them, and the RNG works in your favor, but the better option is to pin someone and strangle them as a vampire to drain them. Optional remove headset for safety, but sometimes not. Vampire has to remove masks and helmets in order to start draining which takes time, ling just acids your face off.

Best thing I can say to change pinning is to change up how the pin is setup, which I can only think of two changes.

You need two aggressive grabs to pin.
Or you cannot pin if you're moving while attempting the pin.
Personally what I do is I do glare, get them in a stranglehold, and begin sucking blood. After around 25 seconds I use hypnotize on them to stun them for another 30 seconds. Works fairly well.
Only change I think should be made is that you shouldn't be able to move while starting a pin. Make it so you have to hold still like a when you start a chokehold.
(07-02-2021, 01:18 AM)cyberTripping Wrote: Here's an idea: what if either one or both hands could be used? One hand, you can wail on them but it's easier to break out of. Both hands and it's real hard to break out of, but obviously you can't do much either.

I think you could do something like that where, if the person is in a two handed pin they could resist at stamina cost to force a one handed grab, then resist again to knock the person off of them.

The person maintaining the pin could advance it again to keep them still. Depending on how much stamina is needed, you could have them need to wait again for it to rebuild to try again just slightly longer than it takes to reestablish the two handed pin