Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
[MERGED PR] Disarm nerfs the sequel
(06-30-2021, 11:54 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: Seems alright but then I realize that a stimmed up syndie with a sword will absolutely destroy the entire stations crew.

Yea this is what im worried about. Rampagers are getting a buff?!
(06-30-2021, 08:24 AM)mbc Wrote: repeating some conversation from discord,

I think the hand-swapping-to-avoid-disarm mechanic should be removed. instead, make it rely on whether the targeted player is blocking
Blocking already reduces disarm chance a fair bit but its not perfect, and as a replacement for handswaps it could be improved to be even more consistent

benefits : has a visual tell for other players to see, fits blocking as a 'grip item more tightly' command, and we don't have to worry about limb targeting stuff or hidden information here at all! The defender gets a slight slow while blocking but in exchange they can seamlessly transition from blocking to attacking (since a block can be cancelled into an attack)

you might consider this a downside but it would mean disarms have to target both hands at once instead of choosing one or the other. shovedowns already do this though so its probably fine, i mo

Blocking only has a visual tell when you start blocking though, and it goes away really rapidly.  If you don't see someone start a block you have absolutely no way to tell if they're blocking or not.
Unless you're just straight up not paying attention OR they started blocking before the fight even started, I don't see the issue.

If you don't see it mid-combat 1 on 1, it's kinda your own fault.
replaced limb targeting with disarming all items.

Tempmerging this PR through thurs/fri
I played with it today, disarms costing more than they deal feels very weird and bad, makes trying to disarm someone not something you want to do, I was more successful when I baited people to try to disarm me by holding a weapon and then stowing it away to disarm them wich would often cause them to fall down with 1 disarm, maybe people just have to get more used to it and get new strategies.
quick notes copied from discord:
shoving someone blocking, you get the message "You try to shove the block out of X's hand". made me think i wasn't somehow targeting the actual person themselves and rather the block in their hand Mysterious happenings! which. i was, it just didnt convey to me that the disarm stam drain was also being transferred to the holder of the block, so maybe a change of that message when shoving to help indicate that there's not some deeper mechanic like "i must Disarm the Block before I can Successfully Deal Stamina Damage to Target".

also watching hos and mdir spam disarm shove on the rdir when spawning in on donut3 when the rdir was standing still and not blocking with no weapons, it took 7-10 seconds for the person getting double-spammed to fall, and once they got their facefarts they popped up and disarm smacked the hos twice and downed him (because of the high cost to disarm spam). didnt feel or look good to me.
(07-02-2021, 11:28 AM)nefarious6th Wrote: quick notes copied from discord:
shoving someone blocking, you get the message "You try to shove the block out of X's hand". made me think i wasn't somehow targeting the actual person themselves and rather the block in their hand Mysterious happenings! which. i was, it just didnt convey to me that the disarm stam drain was also being transferred to the holder of the block, so maybe a change of that message when shoving to help indicate that there's not some deeper mechanic like "i must Disarm the Block before I can Successfully Deal Stamina Damage to Target".

also watching hos and mdir spam disarm shove on the rdir when spawning in on donut3 when the rdir was standing still and not blocking with no weapons, it took 7-10 seconds for the person getting double-spammed to fall, and once they got their facefarts they popped up and disarm smacked the hos twice and downed him (because of the high cost to disarm spam). didnt feel or look good to me.

Because its a disarm intent, not a knock down intent. Your description did exactly what it should do, punish someone who has used up all of their stamina attacking someone.
Disarm intent was very useful to me as a way to fight someone without wanting to harm or kill them. It was a way to damage their stamina and reduce their ability to harm you. There are a lot of situations where this is preferable to me; someone gets angry with me and wants to hurt me but I don't want to escalate it, I just want to mess with someone, someone's trying to chase me.

I know this change is intended to make it geared towards its namesake, but now there's no real way to fight someone like that. If you can't run away you have to hurt them back, and you're both going to get pretty injured.