Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
New Service Job: Tailor
What's the big idea?
Since clothing stores are becoming a growing trend in map designs on Goon, it would grand if we had a service role tied to them that allowed further forays into the world of fashion. New Tailors will find this role to be low pressure and easy to get into. It will also offer interactions with matsci as well as a fresh new flavor of roleplay. Criticisms and suggestions would be very welcome in the comments.

What will they do?
  • Use fabric to create clothing
  • Apply paint to dye clothing
  • Break down clothing for fabric
  • Sell clothing items
  • Fulfill special requests from players

How will they do these things?
  • Order fabric from Cargo
  • Request cotton from Botany
  • "Discover" new clothes and use a sharp object to cut them into fabric
  • Order paint from Cargo/fix the paint machine
  • "Sequestrate" paint from other places
  • Operate a sewing machine

Sewing Machine?
  • Can be loaded with fabrics and paint to create and/or dye clothing
  • Charge bar to create clothing (but not to dye)
  • Using with no training increases crafting time and gives a chance to injure yourself
  • Using with training decreases crafting time and removes the chance of injury
  • Clowns attempting to use sewing machines may accidentally sew/staple items to themselves, get poked in the eye, or sew a part of themselves into the crafted item. Whoopsie doodle honk.

Where's the matsci tho
  • The fabric you put into the sewing machine will create a clothing item out of that specific material. If you load bee wool into the machine, the next object you create will be a Bee Wool Cape or whatever you decided to create.
suicide into the sewing machine to create a suit of yourself
The concept has come up before and usually seems to get a broadly positive response, I happen to really like it too.

We already have some clothing production methods beyond the uniform fabs but none of it seems very vital right now, excepting folks making their own insuls.

I think we could reuse some stuff from mechanics for this with a clothing scanner and maybe include some options for adding non-fabric materials when making clothing to enhance the stats of the clothing being made.

One little note, if this happens please don't include eye poking as a clown thing... accidentally sewing their hand to an item is hilarious but I think this concept has so much utility for potential clown gimmicks that I'd hate to make guaranteed blindness a thing for them.

Big question to me ends up being, how do you make this job vital and interesting enough that people want to do it and where they can somewhat reliably expect other roles to provide them materials?
this a great sugestion and i want it
now the greatest question of them all
Whos going to code it?
(06-28-2021, 10:54 AM)Retrino Wrote: suicide into the sewing machine to create a suit of yourself

>Rimworld human leather items moment
the clothes manufacturer does.. most of this. you can apply interesting patterns and colors to clothes via matsci.
I'm sure they said the same thing about the clothing booth. Basic clothes and colors aren't the same thing as cool clothes with a generous color palette to customize with.

Fashion is always a big staple in roleplaying games; players want to look cool and interesting. The ability to get the clothes you want *and* color them however you want (in a single place) would be a big hit. Fabric is all over the station and it's not nearly as popular as metal or glass, so you could easily raid nearby locations for materials. Combine that with the ability to break down fabric based items and you would struggle to completely run out.

The alternative is bugging Botany or Cargo which seems pretty normal.
Before any of that, MatSci needs to be a bit clearer across the board imo. Fibrilith, the quintessential "insulative" material besides rubber doesn't actually give you safe insuls, for example. Then you have the quality of materials (perfect, excellent, poor etc.) that seemingly does nothing except for the captain's Antique, although I might be wrong because it's never communicated.
Bottom line, unless you invest hours of personal testing (because the wiki won't help), you won't understand half of MatSci so making a role based around it seems a bit difficult.
a few people have liked the idea; and the concept of having someone who could also cosmetically handle things that normally only Genetics can handle would be good. perhaps a role like this could also handle if someone gets DNA stung or acid splashed and wants their old identity back (or maybe a new one!), and they can apply some cosmetic things. anywho, the whole idea is something that's been talked about a bit and generally people enjoy it, people are just busy to pick it up, but maybe this and some more expansion of the barbershop stuff would be nice, if not as full roles then as gimmick jobs with the materials readily available during normal rounds for a staffie or w/e to do the things.

(06-28-2021, 10:06 PM)palpetinus Wrote: Bottom line, unless you invest hours of personal testing (because the wiki won't help), you won't understand half of MatSci so making a role based around it seems a bit difficult.

you're right that the gun quality prefixes only matter for the laser gun. the wiki doesn't help because it's out of date. if you require a complete guide documenting stuff about matsci, the Dummies' Guide to Material Science book is completely updated and has tables of every single material property. the wiki will follow suit when i have time to update the ore_processing page, but you are also welcome to contribute missing information to the wiki without having to do a whole format/rework if you just want the information to be documented somewhere.

https://wiki.ss13.co/Dummies%27_Guide_to...al_Science
What if we could pattern them like the custom banners you make? Using dyes/crayons?
While I love the idea, this job is going to need a lot of work in order to be any fun given how shitty matsci is atm. I really wish matsci was a bit different. Hardcoded interactions with little to no scaling is what makes it very boring.