Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Mindslave implants need an overhaul
Current mindslaves are neat in concept with the one use we are both antag thing but are horrible most of the time. The current version of mindslaves just result in people using meta knowledge to implant robust people and have them rampage and kill as many crewmembers as possible. This ruins the reputation and fun of the affected players who are forced to be a antagonist significantly more often than others. This leads to less fun experiences for everyone involved.
There are a few ways you can go about changing mindslave implants.
You can make them non-instant, by giving implants an action bar to put into something. This means you either basically catch the person completely unaware while they are say, in a console or vending machine, or you have to somehow robust them to the floor and keep them still. This has issues, because it now makes mindslaving LOUD. You either have to flash them, or somehow manage to wrestling pin them to the floor, which can be pretty difficult depending on your target. Best of luck flashing anyone with sunglasses or a welding mask.

You can make mindslaving someone a surgery. This is absolutely much harder than the previous example. You either robust them on the floor and someone take their radio away, cuff them, and keep them quiet all the way till you can get to your ghetto maintenance surgery room, or you're a medical doctor and someone comes in who need surgery (Best of luck on this, barely anyone does surgery anymore)

I heard discussions of using the Hypnotic flash from other codebases, but this also comes with another issue that a lot of folks have eye protection since its so easy to get.

My honest opinion is to just add a half second or so private action bar to implanting someone. That way it isn't instant as you walk down the hallway past each other.
Make mindslaves revive dead bodies + only work on dead bodies.

That way in order to mindslave someone, you have to kill them and prove your dominance in the ring. OH YEAH. DIG IT.
(06-27-2021, 03:31 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: Make mindslaves revive dead bodies + only work on dead bodies.

That way in order to mindslave someone, you have to kill them and prove your dominance in the ring. OH YEAH. DIG IT.

ngl this sounds good, at least on paper
(06-27-2021, 03:31 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: Make mindslaves revive dead bodies + only work on dead bodies.

I love this
Personally I'd like for them to just have an actionbar so it isn't instant anymore, but the idea of needing to kill those you wish to mindslave sounds like a nice solution. Though... thinking about it, isn't that just a mindslave cloner without the setup?

It'd also make the Head of Security's mind protection implant pretty much worthless and discourage mindslaving security in general, which in my opinion sounds good.
make em work like loyalty implants, they have to be in crit for them to work
Isn't this like the third or fourth thread we've had about mindslave implants in the last few months?

Most mindslave rework ideas I dont like, it doesnt fix the issue of metatargeting robust players, and just makes it annoying to do other things. I do unironically like this idea however. Necrothrall implants.

My only concern is mindslaving a corpse, turns out they went ssd/dnr, and now you have to haul all the way to a bed, and remove the implant. This process seems like itd be very suspicious, and considering theres no way to know if a corpse is viable to be thralled, it doesnt seem particularly fun. Id suggest the implant gibbing any corpse thats unable to be thralled and leaving the implant on the floor, that way if you thrall a corpse and it turns out to be unviable you can easily get to work on thralling the next corpse.
(06-27-2021, 04:57 PM)Ikea Wrote:

Most mindslave rework ideas I dont like, it doesnt fix the issue of metatargeting robust players, and just makes it annoying to do other things. I do unironically like this idea however. Necrothrall implants.

My only concern is mindslaving a corpse, turns out they went ssd/dnr, and  now you have to haul all the way to a bed, and remove the implant. This process seems like itd be very suspicious, and considering theres no way to know if a corpse is viable to be thralled, it doesnt seem particularly fun. Id suggest the implant gibbing any corpse thats unable to be thralled and leaving the implant on the floor, that way if you thrall a corpse and it turns out to be unviable you can easily get to work on thralling the next corpse.

It would be very easy codewise to check if the corpse is dead and refuse to implant it so this isn’t an issue.
you get a nerf

you get a nerf

you get a nerf

everybody gets a nerf

Let's just remove mindslaving all together, cause nothing is going to stop people from using meta knowledge to target certain people unless they randomize themselves every round.

If it feels like what I'm suggesting is going too far on the issue, ya know how I feel for almost every nerf thread these days.
(06-27-2021, 05:20 PM)unfunnyperson Wrote:
(06-27-2021, 04:57 PM)Ikea Wrote:

My only concern is mindslaving a corpse, turns out they went ssd/dnr, and  now you have to haul all the way to a bed, and remove the implant. This process seems like itd be very suspicious, and considering theres no way to know if a corpse is viable to be thralled, it doesnt seem particularly fun. Id suggest the implant gibbing any corpse thats unable to be thralled and leaving the implant on the floor, that way if you thrall a corpse and it turns out to be unviable you can easily get to work on thralling the next corpse.

It would be very easy codewise to check if the corpse is dead and refuse to implant it so this isn’t an issue.

Def something thatd be easy to account for, my only concern would be it not being accounted for.

(06-27-2021, 05:31 PM)Technature Wrote: you get a nerf

you get a nerf

you get a nerf

everybody gets a nerf

Let's just remove mindslaving all together, cause nothing is going to stop people from using meta knowledge to target certain people unless they randomize themselves every round.

If it feels like what I'm suggesting is going too far on the issue, ya know how I feel for almost every nerf thread these days.
I dont think the intent here is to nerf it, I think the intent here is to make it more fun. Like, not everyone wants to deal with the same people mindslaved every round, or deal with being mindslaved every round. Emilys suggestion is the best because it also incentivizes going for less robust people, because you know you can kill them. Sharing the love with who gets mindslaved is important.
Narratively the mindslave implant is great in helping to reinforce that anyone could be an enemy. It helps foster a beautiful sense of paranoia.

Forcing crit or death of your target means you may have to be able to overcome your target which then shifts the list of viable targets based on your own robustness. As someone that is as combat proficient as a wet paper bag that seems like a bummer.  But then again I've only used it on a clown that was harassing me (with good reason) so I slaved them into feeding themselves to a singularity.  It ended up being a whole thing and they played it well. Fun story at least from my perspective.

I've also heard complaints regarding not wanting to play antagonists when certain robust players are online.  This seems like a simple solution to that problem… But if they are just ordered to murderbone the station or DNR and suicide… but then again that just feels kinda like crappy metagaming/power gaming.
Generally speaking people who use mindslave implants to implant robust people are not the most robust people themselves and the whole reason they bought the mindslave was to have someone that can actually fight.
(06-27-2021, 04:53 PM)Camryn Wrote: Isn't this like the third or fourth thread we've had about mindslave implants in the last few months?

That's how it works. If something keeps being broken, people will keep making posts.