Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
[CLOSED PR] replace disarm roll with shove
Thumbs Down 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

About the PR
Removes disarm chances from disarm intent (rename maybe?) and makes all 'disarm' attacks do the disarm-special shove (stamina-based roll to displace a tile backwards, and additional stamina-based roll to shovedown)

To clarify: makes all disarm attacks act as disarm-specials do now --- shoveback and stamina-scaling chance to knockdown, no item-fling

This will probably need at least one balance/feature pass before any possible merge, as this likely makes disarming not worth attempting at all

Why's this needed?
Having a flat 37% chance to remove someone's weapon in one click with very little recourse (and not using the stamina system at all!) leads to heavily RNG-skewed fights, especially when there is a weaponry imbalance (think saber vs unarmed)

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Tarmunora
(*)replace 37% disarm roll on disarm attacks with shove, a la disarm-special

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
I think instead of this we should make it harder for people who are in crit to disarm and make it a lot more stamina based and a lot more RNG based, I don't think we should just remove yellow hand essentially.
Knockdown likely should be made more common (something along the lines of 3-4 shoves if theyre on full stam) to compensate, also maybe de rng the knockdown a bit.
Also if this is added I think we should just go tg route so if you shove people against a table or wall they still lose their item.
rng is not inherently bad.

rng is not inherently evil.

a 37% chance to lose your held item is a disincentive to engage in melee battles, and there are techniques you can learn (hand switching with E or blocking) to mitigate this and grow more skilled as a player

this is the point, and a good thing

absolutely and emphatically no.
(06-27-2021, 09:25 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: rng is not inherently bad.

rng is not inherently evil.

a 37% chance to lose your held item is a disincentive to engage in melee battles, and there are techniques you can learn (hand switching with E) to mitigate this and grow more skilled as a player

this is the point, and a good thing

absolutely and emphatically no.

I agree with this but I still think it should be a bit more stamina based and make it play a bigger factor, also make it so its harder for crit players to disarm others. Disarm makes every fight feel like an actual fight but it does have its issues.
I dunno I think if you come at someone with a weapon in hand they should have every chance to fight back. trick someone, wait to unleash your saber, get them to talk or something. disarm is fine as is

the saber mortally wounds in 2-3 hits and downs you in 4 guaranteed, get one surprise hit in and they're basically done
Let me give ya'll a primo gameplay tip on how to use melee weapons.

If your melee weapon is ONE HANDED:

1) Swing weapon
2) Press E to swap hands

The chance to disarm you is now zero (knockback chance still exists)

If your melee weapon is a CSABER:

1) Swing weapon
2) Press Z to block

The chance to disarm you is now severely reduced, and you can reflect projectiles

OR

1) Swing saber
2) Press C to deactivate and V to stow

To safely hide it where it can't be taken

If your melee weapon is TWO HANDED

1) Swing weapon
2) Press V to equip it to your back slot or auto stow in your backpack if your backpack is open

The chance to disarm you is now zero (including if someone knocks you down)
This would be nerfing the ability for people to fight stacked people. Why! Please dont. Some RNG, like this, spices up the game
Quote:Having a flat 37% chance to remove someone's weapon in one click with very little recourse (and not using the stamina system at all!) leads to heavily RNG-skewed fights, especially when there is a weaponry imbalance (think saber vs unarmed)

Knocking someone down still causes someone to drop their item so why is this even being considered in relation to this what the fuck
If there's one thing the crew needed it's even fewer defenses against robust rampagers.
[iss]
Just make it use the stamina system instead of removing it for not using the stamina system.
I'd personally prefer it if the current system was stamina-based, that's all. If only so that attached-csaber-self-hits are still a thing.
Personally I like it when the item is lost and flung away from the fight rather than just dropped on the floor. Way more dramatic that way.

What if we made it so people kept items in hand when grounded, but disarms were 100% effective at knocking things away from grounded people? Disarm them until they fall, then smack their gear away.