Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.33 Average
Axe pulse mode from lawbringer
Pulse mode is just stupidly overpowered and is in the armory for a reason. It does massive stamina, disorient, knock back, and disarm leading to a single hit usually being enough to guarantee victory. It’s only fun for the hos who uses pulse not the people who are affected by it.
I don't think it's "overpowered", simply useful.
I concede, it is strong, and indeed it applies a variety of affects to its target.
If nothing else, perhaps it should cost more power to use.

However, to "axe" it altogether on the basis that it's "overpowered", and already a weapon in the armory, I think to be unnecessary.
If an HoS truly wanted, they'd simply obtain a separate Pulse Rifle from the armory, which would now grant them an EMP ability,
and a separate power source from their Lawbringer. Removing Pulse from the lawbringer doesn't fix the "overpowered" state of the Pulse Rifle.

In a similar fashion, Flameshot is also a weapon that can be obtained from the anti-biological crate in security.

It has its uses and I think should remain a part of the HoS' tools.
I don't find this reasoning to be sufficient to remove or even adjust Pulse.
[isu]
I'm totally okay with this. Not very happy with the voice line being axed though.
I agree that pulse is too strong, a lot of hos just run pulse because its simply the best mode by a long shot and incapacitates anyone in one shot.
How about it only "pulses" and sends you flying if your stamina is under a low threshold, that way its more of a finishing move than a "i win" projectile. Or maybe add a longer cooldown between shots , so that missing with it is more punishing.
(06-25-2021, 12:59 PM)unfunnyperson Wrote: Pulse mode is just stupidly overpowered and is in the armory for a reason.

Is not the fact the lawbringer is only spawnable by a HoS actually *stronger* than locking it in the armory?
The lawbringer pulse is much better then the pulse rifle one, because not only do you get 10 pulse shots without switching guns (you get 7? Ish? On the pulse rifles default cell), but the lawbringer is a one handed weapon, instead of the pulse rifle requiring two hands
[ist]
Personally, I feel that the power use needs to upped a decent bit, to >100pu, definitely don't feel it should be axed though, it's brilliant for dealing with rogue/misbehaving officers. Entire nukie teams ect. being owned by pulse mode isn't fun, hopefully having less shots helps with that.
I find this interesting that this thread pops up a day after I HoS and use the Pulse mode for a changeling shift. It was useful, you don't EVER want a changeling near you, and you can send changelings off into space with it.

Pulse is good, knockout, is also good. Tranq is probably MORE op than pulse, but it doesn't have much discussion about it. Also, HoS has armory access without having to auth the armory. Can just walk straight in and take a tranq rifle or a pulse rifle, or grab a shotgun with lethal buckshot. Pulse disorients, but its only bread and butter is that if you knockback and they hit a wall, they are stunned and drop their gear. Thats where pulse is good.
(06-25-2021, 12:59 PM)unfunnyperson Wrote: It’s only fun for the hos who uses pulse not the people who are affected by it.

This could be said about stuns in general.
(06-25-2021, 02:05 PM)MetricDuck Wrote: I’m not HoS whitelisted so forgive me if I’m talking out my ass here, but I thought HoS was more of a Sec leadership role than chief validhunter role?

Chayot you’re sort of implying that without pulse HoS’s would just auth the armoury to grab a pulse rifle to hunt the antags - doesn’t the whitelist exist specifically to avoid Heads of Security pulling that sort of thing, and instead appointing people who would escalate the round proportionally in a way that is interesting for both antagonist and crew?

That's supposed to be the case, but lately it hasn't been.
Remove the stun and disorient from pulse, keep the knockback also, pulse rifles are balanced because they are 2 handed and don't self recharge.

if you ask me, if an HoS player is consistently making rounds boring by ending antag's rounds early they should get a talking to. removing pulse wouldn't stop what is simply bad behaviour.
Replace pulse mode with an axe
(06-25-2021, 04:24 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: Replace pulse mode with an axe

I want to see a HoS use Lawbringer Axe mode on an antag