Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.33 Average
Axe pulse mode from lawbringer
I mean if y'all are up for giving the HoS a big Labrys axe I'm not gonna say no......
I think Pulse is pretty badly balanced all together. I would axe the pulse rifles from the armoury and replace the Lawbringer mode with an EMP mode. I think that fits the veratility of the gun much better.
Dumb idea: have pulse work like a ranged shove.  Chance to disarm, chance to knock over.
(06-26-2021, 12:36 AM)Carbadox Wrote: I think Pulse is pretty badly balanced all together. I would axe the pulse rifles from the armoury and replace the Lawbringer mode with an EMP mode. I think that fits the veratility of the gun much better.

Agreed. This isn't just an issue with the lawbringer, but the pulse projectile itself. The lawbringer (pulse mode) and by extension, the pulse rifle, is an "I win" weapon where a single shot can end a firefight immediately.
(06-25-2021, 12:59 PM)unfunnyperson Wrote: Pulse mode is just stupidly overpowered and is in the armory for a reason.

I made the pulse projectile for the lawbringer, not the pulse rifles. So you've got it backwards. I'm generally against removing content as a first response to some problem in balance or general gameplay issue, I'd much prefer to try to workshop it some.

I've never really considered pulse mode particularly strong, but maybe that's due to personal bias for having both made it and played the game years ago when guns were much more powerful than they are today. I felt like they aren't really dangerous enough for pulse rifles to have been put in the armory, but eh.

My opinions on a change to pulse mode for the lawbringer are mostly in two different camps: 

A. Start with keeping it mostly the same, but changing its throw distance/stamina damage dealt to be based upon how far it has traveled. Sending people flying further and doing more stam damage, the closer you are to the shooter.

B. Completely rewrite the projectile to fit more with my original inspiration that I sorta just gave up on out of laziness. And that is basically the pulse gun from Minority Report. Make it short range, wide spread. So it really is completely useless unless you're within like 3/4 tiles of the target.

Also, I saw an idea for replacing it with emp mode. I'm gonna veto that one straight up. I think that that is opening a terrible can of worms you're not considering. EMP is far more imballanced than a single decent stun projectile. It used to be only from AZ and traitor gear, I think it was a very strange addition to add it to secoff's general toolkit.
EMP got removed from the wave gun some time ago, it is now now on the pulse rifle, why is EMP considered so strong anyways? it's best use is damaging borgs, the nuke and draining sec's energy cells.
(06-26-2021, 07:35 PM)THISISANICEGAME Wrote: EMP got removed from the wave gun some time ago, it is now now on the pulse rifle, why is EMP considered so strong anyways? it's best use is damaging borgs, the nuke and draining sec's energy cells.

doesnt EMP emag stuff?
(06-26-2021, 08:13 PM)Rilor Wrote:
(06-26-2021, 07:35 PM)THISISANICEGAME Wrote: EMP got removed from the wave gun some time ago, it is now now on the pulse rifle, why is EMP considered so strong anyways? it's best use is damaging borgs, the nuke and draining sec's energy cells.

doesnt EMP emag stuff?
EMP makes guardbuddies go rogue, but good luck hitting one with an EMP gun.
Apart from buddies, not sure.
emp fully drains tasers, batons, possibly fucks up flashes, fucks up headsets and sechuds. its MONSTROUS
Giving an EMP to the HoS I think is a bad idea. Talk about an "I win" solution.
If they're using anything that relies on energy, they're done for.
One EMP shot--You're blinded, your radio is off, your gear is dead.

I'd find Option A of Kyle's suggestions to be optimal.
Sweeping away a crowd with option B just seems too powerful.
EMP isnt really that dangerous unless the person getting shot at is using sec gear because the only people that would be using tasers, batons, and sechuds would be sec or someone that stole from sec. Most actual antag weapons are not affected by EMP.
EMP is basically an antisecurity weapon.
Giving them EMP either makes them stronger against antags with stolen sec gear (and sec gear is some of the best equipment to get hold of) or when rogue and fighting against sec. Neither of these are good.

Detain is 6 shot taser with a 3x3 impact area with slowdown and confused move. From looking at the code and testing, this is actually a taser further buffed with AOE.
Execute is 10 shots of .38, 35 brute damage.
Knockout is 5 shots of MD tranq rifle which can be extremely good depending on how the RNG feels.
Hotshot is 5 shot flare gun, good for lings.
Smokeshot is 5 shots of smoke grenade, good for people holding melee weapons.
HE is 75 damage if you hit but kind of a weird mode considering the collateral damage.
Pulse is 8 shots.

IMO reduce the Lawgiver down to Stun and Execute. Like, what the heck is the lawgiver? It replaces the energy gun but is way better (although you could debate it's tase/lethal as the egun gets more tase shots and it's lethal is burn so avoids armor). It can definitely allow the HoS to shut down rampagers as a single individual but that's kind of the problem making them more of a "head validhunter" than head of security.
Plus, EMP causes major damage to cyber organs, and causes them to malfunction if they are eyes or hearts.
(06-28-2021, 02:38 AM)Katzen Wrote: Giving them EMP either makes them stronger against antags with stolen sec gear (and sec gear is some of the best equipment to get hold of) or when rogue and fighting against sec. Neither of these are good.

Detain is 6 shot taser with a 3x3 impact area with slowdown and confused move. From looking at the code and testing, this is actually a taser further buffed with AOE.
Execute is 10 shots of .38, 35 brute damage.
Knockout is 5 shots of MD tranq rifle which can be extremely good depending on how the RNG feels.
Hotshot is 5 shot flare gun, good for lings.
Smokeshot is 5 shots of smoke grenade, good for people holding melee weapons.
HE is 75 damage if you hit but kind of a weird mode considering the collateral damage.
Pulse is 8 shots.

IMO reduce the Lawgiver down to Stun and Execute. Like, what the heck is the lawgiver? It replaces the energy gun but is way better (although you could debate it's tase/lethal as the egun gets more tase shots and it's lethal is burn so avoids armor). It can definitely allow the HoS to shut down rampagers as a single individual but that's kind of the problem making them more of a "head validhunter" than head of security.
HE is for pods. The gun is so the HoS can haul the entire armory around in one gun.
Lawbringer was added because someone watched Dredd and thought, Damn I wish that was in SS13. Then someone made a really cool sprite and it was added.
Basically it was added because Rule of Cool.