Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Anatomical Surgery Dummy
I've noticed a lot of people in Medbay like to practice surgery and tend to use monkeys and dead corpses to operate on. The monkeys often cause fights or trash the operating theater and random corpses lying around on the surgery tables will often be overlook for cloning purposes with the assumption that someone else is working on them (they're never getting cloned now).

Lets give Medbay some realistic anatomical surgery dummies with features like:
  • Bleeding
  • Vomiting
  • Removable organs
  • Adjustable damage and bodily fluid settings
  • Spawn with those weird hospital aprons
  • Optional speech function where their voice lines vary depending on the amount of damage taken. Like real people under the knife, they will get scared as they bleed and take damage. How authentic! They'll even scream, cry, and beg for the sweet release of death. Neato!
Like living human beings, they need to have blood put back into their bodies in order for them to keep spouting blood like a fountain everytime they get a tiny scratch. Nobody knows where the vomit and tears come from, probably some really futuristic thing in their bodies producing them. How convenient! Rookie surgeons can get a realistic surgery experience without hassling everyone with stealing monkeys and corpses.
Instead of a dummy, how about using the cloner to manufacture live brainless medical test subjects? They could be human or a new mutant race specifically for this purpose. There could be cloner disks loaded with different test subjects, like one that comes out of the cloner needing a liver transplant, or one that goes into cardiac arrest after 60 seconds to give different scenarios. Maybe a wildcard subject who just keeps developing new random maladies?
Oh my god, this brings back memories from 6th grade health class where we did CPR on dummies, and I didn't want to do it because: 1, I don't like things that appear human but aren't human. (The uncanny valley) and 2, who knows how many people have put their mouths on that grubby plastic face before. Anyways, cool idea.
(06-25-2021, 06:49 AM)glassofmilk Wrote: Instead of a dummy, how about using the cloner to manufacture live brainless medical test subjects?

The cloner literally does do this, you can scan the tank with your medical ID to pull out a blank human clone. Teach people these things, let them work on that!
Na I like that they have to fight a monkey in order to practice. Feels very SS13
You could also use a humanified monkey, since good surgery is done under aesthetics. It’s the most realistic test dummy to date
The idea is this would remove the process of getting monkeys or braindead clones to use. The dummies are right there and ready to be operated on so you don't have to worry about:

+ Monkeys fighting
+ Monkeys stealing
+ Getting Genetics to humanify the monkey/blindfolding the monkey
+ Making the cloning tube create an entirely new clone/using up biomatter you might need
+ Corpse rot
+ You could use the settings to keep it quiet so you don't hear a cascade of screams when you operate
+ It saves a lot of time and effort and lets you get to practicing surgery

I've never investigated the issue, but I'm fairly certain that the Wraith's absorb ability would bypass rotbustecs or embalming fluid before anyone wants to point that out.
I think that this sounds like trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist and it would make medical and rounds in general less interesting. Things don't need to be perfectly safe to practice mechanics in-round.

I wouldn't mind a medical/surgery practice area in the VR, since that's one of the core design decisions for that. But adding this to normal medbay sounds like doing a non-trivial amount of work that would sorta make other features less utilized.

It might be messy when monkeys attack you for doing surgery on their brethren, but they rarely kill you, unless you draw aggro in the middle of the monkey pen. And you're in medbay so usually someone will see you and take pity on you to help you.
It's not a solution to a problem so much as it is a quality of life improvement. Dying to monkeys in Medbay is not rare and I'm tired of healing/cloning the people who accidentally set them off/help the people that set them off. A VR surgery option would be incredible though, definitely better than anatomical dummies by a huge margin.
arent there monkeys right across the hall? And multiple methods of safely restraining them? if you cant figure that out then i dont think you are ready for the exciting world of surgery