Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.71 Average
Cloning is easy
Should be based on how rotten the body you shove in is
(06-27-2021, 01:59 PM)Cal Wrote: Should be based on how rotten the body you shove in is

That's genuinely really interesting. Someone who took the time to get a quick scan in advance would be cloned relatively painlessly, while a recovered nearly skeletonized corpse could be significantly harder to clone (due to poor scan fidelity or whatever).

I don't really have any thoughts on the balance or gameplay implications or whatever, I just think the idea sounds neat.
I meant reclaiming, but that could factor in too.

Yeah, reclaiming rotten bodies would also give rotbusts a secondary use
(06-27-2021, 01:09 PM)BatElite Wrote: Fine with the ease of cloning, in fact I think the ease of recovery helps offset that this game isn't all that balanced in many places (still) or that there's just some non-obvious deathtraps around

I do think that the reclaimer is too generous though, at least for bodies. crunching someone gives you a good deal more biomatter than a clone takes, so you could just cycle autoclones if you're bored (but then incoming dead will fill the biomatter when they come in anyway). I think we should tweak the numbers on what the reclaimer gives and/or what cloning takes a bit so there's only a couple of clones at round start unless you actively enlist help from botany or monkeydome conscripts.

you can actually just pour blood(not a great rate of return) or synthflesh into cloning pods to fill up their biomatter. synthflesh is 1u = 1% biomatter, so it's super easy to roundstart fill up the initial cloning pod (or the up to 2 extras that get constructed)

even with 3 pods if you get them filled up roundstart you're not gonna have biomatter issues for the rest of the round
If we changed cloning, the only thing i'd suggest changing is that you need to manually insert the chems into the cloner to get it working.

Adds more work to cloning, makes science have an actual use to actually make you useful chemicals and definitely makes cloning less optimal.
I've recently started making SR at roundstart just to give that chem some more use and I have to say: cloning is dang tedious.

Guy did a dumb spacewalk and died with 80 BURN and 500+ Oxy? Sure, could put that in the cloner, or I feed the guy a SR pill, a donk pocket and achieve the same in a few seconds.

I've found the downsides to the cloner to be minor but many:
It's usually swarmed and hectic. In a round with robust antags, you'll often get 2+ corpses waiting to be cloned.
You'll have a ground-item clusterfuck. Is this pile yours, or mine? Is that two piles on one tile? Oh well.
Adding to the previous point: theft. Unless you watch everything closely, some staffie WILL steal a random Engineer's ID or such.
It's the prime target for bombings. It's not rare to be happily cloning one of the (seemingly) fifty persons swarming the cloner and suddenly getting blown up.
All your capability hinges on one APC. Power off, cloner off.

Bonus: you don't get the funny "wtf they're healing my corpse?? Is this doctor actually braindead?!" ghosts in Deadchat you get from SR revivals.
As a note as I don't think this is too well known, cloning permanently and irrevocably reduces your max health with each clone, though I believe the first time you get cloned it's 'free'. Losing 20 out of 100 max health per clone means you can't just keep coming back again and again, so there IS a limit to cloning's capabilities.

I would personally just like a thing in the cloner that notes how many times someone has been cloned, with a label somewhere explaining that being cloned too often will result in death.
yea but once you die to something once, chances are you wont a second time that round.
There was a good thread last year that talked about some of the topic brought up here (https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=15161). I really likedthe idea of aftercare. A clone could have missing limbs or organs or be blind or deaf etc. and need some doctoring afterwards. There could also be a cloner upgrade that makes the cloner not produce dodgy clones.