Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 1.89 Average
Retire manta from map rotation
(06-19-2021, 12:54 PM)Ikea Wrote: What does manta potray?

presumably a top of the line military vessel that patrols the area around Oshan to scan for threats and protect it
Manta provides a very open yet somewhat compact layout that encourages player interaction, provides a couple extra things to do (namely junction boxes), and just generally has a layout that I find plays smoothly and is neither clunky nor weirdly open or claustrophobic.

Manta could absolutely benefit from a rework to the lore aspects and what-not, but mechanically the map itself is fantastic, even if some things are underdeveloped. I don't see why it should be removed.

If we really want to remove maps, perhaps it may be a good idea to take a look at the Goonhub and see how many rounds are played on which maps, though combing through that manually sounds like a fucking chore, even just for the past week of playtime.
I mean, the theming isnt really military, the most military thing about it is shit like reinforced walls and eleftrified windows, but 90% of players wont notice that shit. Most of the theming is just bland civillian.
(06-20-2021, 09:19 AM)Ikea Wrote: I mean, the theming isnt really military, the most military thing about it is shit like reinforced walls and eleftrified windows, but 90% of players wont notice that shit. Most of the theming is just bland civillian.

maybe we should make the walls and floors all darker and include millitary support and anti-syndicate propaganda posters, or rework it into a not millitary vessal (a former millitary vessal turned into a civillian vessal could be an intresting concept)
Manta fun. As a person who almost exclusively plays RP, it adds f l a v o r

But it's not good on main as it gets crowded very easily. Do with that what you will.
Another issue with manta i dont see brought up much, no good chokepoints for interacting with people. If you wish to go across the map, you can go between the bar, between sec and the bar, and through escape. 3 main different ways of traversing the map. The issue this runs into is this much ways to traverse leads to hallways feeling sparse, each good map tends to have a few areas to congregate people around, see public market on cog1, or medbay on oshan. Manta doesnt really have any area like that.
I went ahead and scraped the last 5000 rounds off of GoonHub manually because I couldnt find an API key. Given the manual method i didn't have much to work on, so I had to try and get the map names from the station name. As Oshan, Kondaru, Cog1&2, Destiny and Mushroom all use a name generator so they had to be lumped together. Stations that had been renamed in-round couldn't be identifed, so they went in their own category. Also, I had no way of separating out game modes so some pod wars maps will be lumped in (this should be negligible though). Games that crashed (of which there are 31) have been excluded as I didn't realise I'd exluded them til writing this post.

I didn't learn too much, but this is what I got:
- Manta is more popular on Goon 1 & 3 than: Horizon, Destiny, Clarion and Atlas (last one not surprising given 30 popcap).
- Manta gets voted in 3.4% of the time on Goon1.
- Manta gets voted in 5.4% of the time on Goon 2.
- Manta gets voted in 10.8% of the time on Goon 3.
- Manta gets voted in 13.0% of the time on Goon 4.

Off topic things I noticed:
- Goon 1 is super bad at voting in different maps.
- Goon 4 is surprisingly great at voting in different maps.
- Fastest non-crash rounds recorded in the last 3 months were apparently a pair of 2 minute rounds on Goon 3 & 4. Goon 1s fastest round was 10 minutes.
- The 8 slowest rounds recorded in the last 3 months were all on Goon 2, the slowest clocking in at 433 minutes. The slowest Goon 3 round was 284 minutes, the slowest Goon 1 was 124 minutes.

Tables (I dont know why these are so big)

[Image: 1kLu5QL.jpg]

[Image: 7t5208m.jpg]

[Image: 5G0SdsM.jpg]

[Image: ZPRh7rD.jpg]
so overall manta does better than most non-other maps but still not great. so instead of removing manta we should be removing... clarion apparently?
Imo, make Manta RP only.
[isx]
I havent seen anyone pick Atlas(because of the poplimit), Clarion, or Destiny since I started playing again.
Its mostly Oshan, Cog1&2, and Donut 3 SOMETIMES Horizon. I really like Manta though and would like to play on it.
(06-21-2021, 03:55 PM)MetricDuck Wrote: snipped

Hey! Thank you so much for manually going in and collecting all these stats. This was really cool to see!
[Image: Manta-horz.jpg]

[Image: 8068bf48a879bd90570255ba24d61dce.png]

Just something I realized, if we don't retire it, GW will come to sue us!