Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cultist antag idea attempt 2
So after approximately zero feedback on my original cultist idea a year ago im going to try again
some goals this time around
-many gimmick possibilities... obviously
-Friendly cults should be more common than antagonistic cults to prevent valid hunting
-RP friendly because that's what i mainly play on (interaction with other people)
-Should add as few existing systems as possible (like using the ritual magic system instead of adding a new magic system)
-cultist civil wars should be a possibility because that's interesting but they shouldn't too common

So here we go
So to begin here's how cultists work, cultists get the ability to use the ritual magic Kyle made and in exchange obey the cult leader.
The cult leader gets ritual magic, an infinite use catalogue (the thing Kubius is working on) to order cultist supplies (probably wont be cheap) and an enormous target on their back, The cult leader by default is the chaplain because they don't get much and its fitting. Leadership would either pass peacefully (like the leader retiring and handing control to someone they trust) or violently (like an antag murdering the leader and seizing control for themselves) 
the way leadership would pass would be by using the current leader's pda on the person its being transferred to's pda and then that pda gets a fancy symbol on the screen denoting it as the cult leader's pda and the cultist catalogue.
the way cultists would know whos leader is simple, if a person has the leader's pda on them, they get the icon and a diffrent colored name on the radio and should be obeyed (except for specific circumstances but that'll be covered later).
Now antags cant just murder the leader in front of the cult and expect to get away with it, as cultists don't have to listen to obey the leader if they have solid evidence the previous leader didn't hand over power willingly.
Some other things:
-converted antags dont have to obey the cult leader
-converted security officers should obey the leader unless they're ordering them to do something against the law
-Cultist would probably happen every round in my vision just be mostly peaceful
-regular cultists shouldn't perform antagonistic actions unless the leader orders them to
-it matters if the leader became leader without the previous leaders consent, not if theyre an antag or not

Possible gimmicks and interactions with the rest of the station.
-Science produces drugs, poisons, explosives, and medicine, odds are the cult will want at least one of these things
-They could use their magic to help medbay, or maybe compete against it and show the world that modern medicine is a scam and magical healing is the future
-Engineering: those crates of cultist supplies arrive to someone, and maybe the leader wants the cultists to help build a proper church.
-Go to war against security if your leaders an antag, or maybe help them catch criminals if the leader isnt
-Become the holy order of the janitor, or start cthulhu's pizzaria, or maybe just smoke weed together and hotbox the chapel regularly.
-build an off station church because with the power to summon air, pressurization should be easy
-become a private security company and be better than security with your magic... or not.
-convert command and make the cult leader the new captain of the station
-declare a section of the station independent, because if cargo's going to go indepedent might as a well have a cult support its independence.

What do you people think, im open to feedback
not sure how this would work as an antag type if there's chaps that specifically don't roll antag.

something that was always difficult for me with cultists on other servers was that when i played chap i ALWAYS had to be shoehorned into validhunting when it was cultists because chap so readily and limitedly hard-countered that. yeah playing Forensic Investigator for sec was cool like three times, but not every round it was cultists after that.

versus on goon, if there's problems with wizards or vampires, like Yeah, i COULD be helpful if i choose to, but security for the most part handles antags on rp pretty pat without having to beg for my validhunting. for this, i would have to interact with para-antags in a way that's very...controlling? of them? by electing successors or w/e, or directly having to specifically be their leader myself, which isn't really why i play chap at all. "the cult leader by default is the chaplain because they don't get much and it's fitting" i think is what i'm specifically stuck on. it's fitting *for a specific way of playing chaplain*. i'd like the ability to opt-out of The Singular Way Of Playing An Antag, just as i could if i roll chaplain and latejoin vamp or chaplain and changeling and chaplain and traitor. not that i want to always be "Friendly", but if the extent of this mode would be "okay, you're chap so you're always going to be the leader and you always have to either lead the group or elect a new leader and those are your two options", i don't really think i'd enjoy this and would potentially like...do the thing conspirators sometimes do where they avoid their group all round and don't even interact as an antag/motivator for the round's action.

to a different extent, i don't know how i feel about mechanics that consistently are set up to pick on specific roles on the station, and i think this might run the risk of doing that to chaps. there's a potential for like starting the round and then having someone instantly murder the chap for the pda because they weren't interested or "faithful" or w/e if they aren't into the idea of playing as the leader, which i imagine will probably happen A Lot if chaps always spawn as leaders near every-round and some of them are likely to not want to lead this specific type of antag activity. if the chap does hand over leadership peacefully, just because of the nature of the cult i think there is always going to want to be religious subversion through things like takeovers of the chapel (happens a lot on servers with cultists), or sacrifice or harassment of "heretics" (a chaplain with competing religious order would be a primary target for this).

i think there's kernels of good rp ideas here, but some might just work best to do as a chaplain all on your own! you don't require antag status to work with engineering to build the Old Gods' Pizzeria or start a Church of Weed!
Youre probably right about not needing a fancy conversion system... Prehaps the best solution really would be just to give them a fancy infinite use catalogue of various occult items and an ability to give people various symbols mark things (like how people can tell whos head rev or set to arrest) and an ability to decide who can and cant see them...
Having a "friendly" antag type is not remotely going to discourage validhunting.
(06-18-2021, 06:15 AM)Mouse Wrote: Having a "friendly" antag type is not remotely going to discourage validhunting.

Yeah probably not
I suppose this is less of an antag and more of a feature like silicons
Also according to the people from discord thered likely be a self antagging problem