Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
Delay wizards getting on station
give them things to actually do during the windup time and yeah.

sucks to use gameplay lockdown to fix a lag/stability issue but I agree that it's a decent band aid

(06-18-2021, 04:38 PM)Camryn Wrote:
(06-18-2021, 03:59 PM)penny Wrote: Wizards spawn in a small room in a simple area, they have a natural advantage to loading in. It's not skill that sometimes it can take like five minutes to actually see anything

I don't *think* that should affect loading times

But, uh, I don't know how byond loads things

byond loads all images in all dmis you can currently see on your screen when you pop in, iirc. seeing less things *would* reduce lag on your first round of the night.
(06-19-2021, 10:30 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: give them things to actually do during the windup time and yeah.

sucks to use gameplay lockdown to fix a lag/stability issue but I agree that it's a decent band aid

(06-18-2021, 03:59 PM)penny Wrote: Wizards spawn in a small room in a simple area, they have a natural advantage to loading in. It's not skill that sometimes it can take like five minutes to actually see anything

byond loads all images in all dmis you can currently see on your screen when you pop in, iirc. seeing less things *would* reduce lag on your first round of the night.

...huh.

I would've thought that would be done during pre-round setup.
(06-19-2021, 10:59 AM)Camryn Wrote:
(06-19-2021, 10:30 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: give them things to actually do during the windup time and yeah.

...huh.

I would've thought that would be done during pre-round setup.

my recollection is vague, but it's why peeps kept bugging out every time they walked by cog 1 security; hooty the owl had like hundreds of sprites to load
Teleporting to the captain's room and ice beam polymorphing them roundstart is a terrible strategy that works way too well.

I personally always take some time to prepare as wizard, go over my spells, get a gas mask, oxygen and sunglasses and maybe take some special stuff from debris/prefab if I feel like it, I don't really know what wizards could be doing at roundstart that they can only do while inside their ship? Maybe add paint or a clothing booth so they can think about their fashion? Could also expand the ship a little and add some general gear like tools, wiz loadouts maybe?? Dunno
How about for a wizard to teleport to a destination, they have to first have visited it. Base wizards gets a selection of free teleport locations (toilets, jazz lounge, owlery, pod bays, various maints), aswell as the pod to get to station if required. this would prevent captains room rushing, as the destinations could be tailored to the map, as well as adding some "build up" to wizards as they scout out their various teleport locations.
Adding more reasons to delay your arrival is more elegant than just adding a forced delay.