Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
/!\ Swamp sprites needed /!\
Clockwork's mossy tree. Tweaked color and extended the roots so it looks cool in the swamp slush.
[Image: T9KEqBe.png]
[Image: lITzCOn.png]
The "Scary" King in Yellow, when awoken from his slumber. The KIY is a boss mob as I stated previously, deep within the Carcosa itself. It's a disemboided head that can't move, but if you walk around the swamp you'll see parts of his body scattered around the place.
How he'll fight you is another thing altogether.

[Image: mviLaFn.png]
Giant disembodied arm by yours truly
[Image: IglRMsc.png]
There are already other plans for Carcosa that have been underway for awhile :{

The ancient tile and wall might be useful somewhere though.
Cogwerks Wrote:There are already other plans for Carcosa that have been underway for awhile :{
You're just that bee in my bonnet aren't you cogs?
Are there sprites for it? Have you started coding? If not then run with this, I've done and am currently doing a bunch of sprites. There's no reason not to have a swamp zone and a carcosa styled ruin implemented together, and I've done mapped it out and the contrast between the lush green and the aztech-style carcosa looks really well.
Bleh can't edit but,
I've literally poured hours into some of these sprites, I was given the go-ahead for a ruin by EroticDad. The whole reason I was doing a carcosa style thing was it seemed to be a theme of the tele-area's, icemoon has that strange black pit, lavamoon has that robotic nuclear area, so a aztech styled ruin in a swamp seemed cool and original.
I've stated that I was doing this carcosa style thing back in october, go back 2 pages and you'll see.
I don't know. It's very disheartening to be honest.
Some things could be reworked, sure. There's already a temple dungeon area mapped in sorta near the swamp, but underground, and it goes with more of an eldritch artifact thing to give those some background.

That said, I can try the ancient stuff you sprited in there and see how it looks. If it works, a bunch of things will need to be remapped and some puzzle elements redesigned, but whatevs. If you're interested, I can tempmin you some round so you can see the available space that's actually there, and kick some ideas back and forth.
Cogwerks Wrote:Some things could be reworked, sure. There's already a temple dungeon area mapped in sorta near the swamp, but underground, and it goes with more of an eldritch artifact thing to give those some background.

That said, I can try the ancient stuff you sprited in there and see how it looks. If it works, a bunch of things will need to be remapped and some puzzle elements redesigned, but whatevs. If you're interested, I can tempmin you some round so you can see the available space that's actually there, and kick some ideas back and forth.

You see, I never knew about the eldritch stuff nor that you already had puzzle elements included in the swamp, nor did I know about the carcosa map. Maybe I'm putting too much self worth on the stuff I am doing, but feedback like "Good job sundance, looks great" isn't much use to me whatsoever and only makes me cocky, while "I have X and Y planned and I need you to do Z" is pretty much the only thing I need. I understand if you don't want to give out information to the public, that's totally understandable. Message me instead and I'll hop onto the IIRC and post things that's required there.
As regards the tempmining to see the new area, that would clarify a buttload of things and would be hugely beneficial
Also I saw that ninja edit regards the head sprite, it's very much WIP and is going to be animated similar to the lava-moon boss, although if it's not going to be used then I'll abandon it.
Now that I've thrown some light on my predicament, moving on..
I've done long grass overlays for the shallows. I may do reeds, or an long grass overlay for ground.
[Image: Cgsv74a.png]
[Image: BZzrROf.png]
[Image: SYN0LXa.png]

Here's what it looks like combined
[Image: oF8fqbZ.gif][Image: pe6w0F9.gif][Image: WzI6h7Q.gif]
The middle one is twitching, I made a mistake on the animation, oops. You can use these grass overlays together, the third can combine with the first or second to make a thicker looking grass.
Is Carcosa going to be done before cogmap 2 launches? I'm very eager to explore it after reading The King in Yellow.
Nope.
If you look at the post dates I've abandoned this thread some time ago. Eroticdad was in charge of this but I haven't heard from him. I actually wouldn't mind finishing it tbh, but that's only if I know what direction to take it. Spriting bits and bobs for me is ok, it's leisurely, but spriting an entire z-level is a bit of a commitment, especially when I have very little source material to work with. If an admin wants to jump on this train go ahead, you could have a cool z-level on your hands.

With reference to carcosa, I dunno. With making the z-level, I had a concept in my head to gear the sprites towards, so I constructed a storyline.
The story behind this z-level is that it is situated on a planet with a very powerful magnetic pull, that would send any and all space-craft that would attempt to land or survey the planet plummeting to the ground. As a result the signal you receive from telescience is a crashed nanotrasen ship. You port in there, and no surprises the crew is gone. You search around the water-drenched landscape to find that the survivors are dead, drove insane by parasite mushrooms or dragged off to an area unbeknown to you as of yet.
(I also had this funny idea of there being 1 survivor, who would look like Alan from Jumanji and would start following the first player he sees crying about how he is saved and complimenting said player. He would also helpful shake the player, if the player is ever downed)
The unbeknown area in question is this Aztec structure where the survivors joined a weird cult involving the color yellow whom would torture and sacrifice any evac and medical crew nanotrasen sent for the survivors in the name of their "king". The cult you find there are horribly mutated and will attack on sight. You find that the "king" is a disembodied creature whom bends people to his will to do things of horrifying nature. Event Horizon anyone?

But regards to carcosa in an actual spriting sense, I wanted something to juxtapose against the gloomy swamp. I suppose I could use my wizard wall and floors for this purpose.
I also needed something as a boss-battle, and to tie it into other z-levels. I personally think a boss battle could still work, now with rajijah or w/e you spell it, you could have a boss battle where other players are potentially hazardous. I dunno about the carcosa cogs is doing, but yer, I'm still into this project for any go-ahead and I'll flesh out, alter or re-purpose any sprite needed.
Oh look swamp sprites (also very amateur)
[Image: MUS1d8U.png][Image: IgRsni0.png]

These are useless decorations, the right one maybe a lamp? :/
ugh these sprites are fantastic and a lot more of them still need a home
I'm sorry I was kind of a downer on this thread years and years ago