Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Brig Intake Chute
Searching and processing people in the brig is extremely fucking hard thanks to short resist timers and stun resist chems/muts. Half the time, people wind up resisting until sec just spaces them or gives up out of frustration. I would love to have a chute I could shove someone in that would strip them, uncuff them, give them an orange jumpsuit, and dump all their shit on the floor so I could go through it. It could leave belt/mask/hat/shoe items on so that people could keep internals and still have a few places to hide traitor stuff if need be.

If this seems OP, maybe it could be something that had to be constructed before it could be used? Like a brig intake pod in the armory that needs to be connected to a pipe system which would need to be installed manually before use.
Maybe make the chutes that send the person to the brig cell take all of the person's contraband and leave it at the chute, so the officer can then eject it and go trough it maybe also automatic brig timer activation, imo, being held by sec while they have to slowly go trough your stuff is really boring, I would rather just go in the brig where I can attempt my escape already. I don't think searching people is hard you just have to take a step everytime you remove an item and as long as they are cuffed they aren't getting out it is just slow, I am unsure of how I feel about automating player interaction though, a lot of the fun part of this game is found on those interactions
Could also be a machine similar to the gene booth, where you shove people in, and a short time later they fly out one side (with a prison jumpsuit), their clothes out the other.

It might make escapes harder though, because it would ensure that sec always properly strips you, which in my experience is sometimes no the case.
Although I do like the idea of an automated prison jumpsuit and possessions system it's just going to end up with all prisoners getting treated the same if it's quick and effective, reducing the potential for stuff to happen. The other sec might walk away and you can use freedom implant and derringer and steal the sec officers gear, a poison they sleepy penned the officer with could kick in, a werewolf might bust in and the officer runs off, they forget to search your pockets/belt, they are too lazy to properly search you etc...

This could also hurt stealth storage?
I've never run into any trouble with searching and processing prisoners in the brig.  So you have to move them every 40 seconds or so.  Big whoop.
(06-09-2021, 07:33 PM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: Could also be a machine similar to the gene booth

If this happens please call it the goon booth
I've had this idea (of making an auto-frisker machine) in the past as well. It can be sort of tedious to search someone, and it can be really frustrating to throw them into genpop or any cell because you gotta stun them so they stay in the chute long enough for it to close or just to throw them through the door and close it.

These are two seperate issues I think. I've changed my stance on the auto-search machine. That would really trivialize the whole process and I think take out some good fun in terms of people sneaking items into prison if it is always caught without any effort. It's like automating away the whole "search people" feature, and removing any decision making a player could have, i.e. whether they want to do a thorough search, just a curosry search, or none at all because those things are decided based on a number of factors for that officer like, "how much do I think this guy is gonna bust out or hide something nefarious" and "how much do I feel like searching right now".

All I think is needed to alleviate this problem (where people interrupt your search of some cuffed perp) is having a good space in the brig that's out of the way and maybe behind a door where you can do so without being jostled around by the passers by.

As for the problem of physically throwing a cuffed person into a cell. I think that we can do several things. Either make a change to the brig chute so that anyonewearing cuffs will take like 5-10 seconds to escape the chute. Giving the chute more than enough time to send em in. OR add some sort of De-Handcuffing machine into genpop or solitary cells that will uncuff someone who walks onto its tile. That way you can much more easily throw em into the cell and not resign them to having to wait the 45 seconds to pick the cuff lock themselves.

Also re: fitting prisonerds with jumpsuits and shoes. I was thinking of making a change to the inventory menu that lets you remove/add items from/to someone else, so that if you click a slot while holding an item that will fit in that slot with your active hand, it will just double the timer and replace their currently worn item with what was in your hand. So you gotta do less clicking/hand switching.7
(06-10-2021, 03:20 AM)kyle2143 Wrote: OR  add some sort of De-Handcuffing machine into genpop or solitary cells that will uncuff someone who walks onto its tile. That way you can much more easily throw em into the cell and not resign them to having to wait the 45 seconds to pick the cuff lock themselves.

IDK how many brigs do chute entrances rather than physical throwing because for some reason I never get arrested, but a pipe segment that eats cuffs should be feasible (& potentially useful for sabotage, like a traitor mechanic scanning it and fitting on onto the general disposals pipeline for easy escapes :P)
I've never used brig chutes - If they can auto strip handcuffs that would be good.

I don't think there should be a search function, yes searches are tedious and they take time but you as sec deduct that time from the brig time, so if it takes 30 seconds to search someone and that was the punishment time, you give 5 seconds so the chute can open. You don't search, then start the timer from 30 seconds. - Also why should there be a machine which reveals my carefully concealed contraband in a backpack in a box instantly when I am only being brigged for....throwing pies at the Captain.

Right now there is the judgement sec player can make on "You are really bad, I am now going to search you" or "Cease and desist vandal" and a bit of brig time. I don't have an issue with even the most robust of prisoners anymore, once you got them in cuffs and caught, re-apply flash/baton as needed, by the time you get em in sec 90% want to comply so they can get the sentence done quicker, those who don't, well you have the fun of wrangling them into their box and potentially giving them swirlies on the way.
The brig ejection chute removes cuffs, this isn't well communicated at all though.
The point of this suggestion is not to give more power to security or trivialize the intake process, it's to give sec a chance to do their jobs properly rather than being forced to give up on processing suspects due to their lack of cooperation. Kyle has talked about making agg grabs better vs cuffed people, which would also solve the problem as long as you had another sec officer to work with. So if that happens then this wouldn't be super necessary.
(06-09-2021, 11:37 PM)Katzen Wrote: This could also hurt stealth storage?

I would imagine that, if it were to work as intended here, it would only remove items it detects is contrabrand.  Sleepy pen?  Stealth Storage?  Fake mustache?  Should be left alone.

AK-47?  Grenades?  C-Saber?  MARIJUANA!?!?!  Get that shit off them.

I would be for this change if only cause it cuts down on time spent dealing with people.  Especially on RP, where people will complain sometimes about how it took nearly 5 minutes to search them (even though not only am I trying to keep things interesting by talking with the person instead of silently sitting there and doing my own thing, said people almost always take the chance to run around the room annoying their would be searchers and still have the gall to complain over the fact that it took 10 minutes just to search them) when they get brigged for another 2.
I'm against this. It would certainly make life easier, but it also cuts down on the player interactions that you can have.
Brigging someone should be a short search, remove their backpack and belt and put it into the brig locker (Kinda annoying on cog2 but whatever), stun baton them a few times kindly and then remove their cuffs and let them serve their time.

A nice short talk before you start your search sometimes, etc etc.

If you get an automated system you just have cold dead eyed officers baton folks in the halls, drag them to sec without a word, and tossing them into the auto contraband chute.
Letting the brig chute remove cuffs would be great. Currently, I bucklecuff prisoners to the cell bed and baton them right after the cuffs are removed, but automating that process would be good.

However, having a machine that automates the searching process eliminates some of the dangers for Security. They already have great close-range weapons, and if someone doesn't have a freedom implant you only have to move them every dozen seconds. Processing isn't that hard, and well-prepared antags should have a chance to escape.
(06-10-2021, 07:25 AM)Souricelle Wrote: The point of this suggestion is not to give more power to security or trivialize the intake process, it's to give sec a chance to do their jobs properly rather than being forced to give up on processing suspects due to their lack of cooperation. Kyle has talked about making agg grabs better vs cuffed people, which would also solve the problem as long as you had another sec officer to work with. So if that happens then this wouldn't be super necessary.

Could increase the length of handcuff resist when grabbed or pinned.