Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
[CLOSED PR] Makes it possible to resist out of straightjackets
As said by others, it should not be easy to indefinitely restrain somebody. If your idea of a gimmick requires leaving someone alone in a room completely unable to move for extended periods of time, it's probably an absolutely shit gimmick.
I really appreciate that Mordent brought up the idea of “attended” vs “unattended” restraint, sometimes you might need to secure someone for a long time, but prefer not want to deal with the slight annoyance of moving one tile every 30 seconds, and they might want to stick them in a chair and leave for a moment. While most people often don’t need it at all, it does make for good antag shenanigans.

I think they shouldn’t be touched at all, I have never seen anyone grief with them, or do anything broken with them. Nothing was wrong with it in the first place.
I guess I'll throw in my 2c of anecdotal experience here too, which can be taken for precisely however much 2c is worth when talking balance changes:
Jackets in my experience have only ever been used on me specifically for weird inescapable torture rp that I couldn't even suicide + DNR out of because I'd be SR'd or cloned right away. Also precisely for what some people have mentioned here, jacketing people and then forgetting about them in medbay ward rooms. All round.

I'm not married to this PR either way. I'd like to see these things changed at least in some manner just because my read from discussing in Discord and from general best practice when restraining people as a matter of Security has been that an inescapable situation is probably Not Awesome; I can't recall if I ever used or saw it used legitimately on problem people so that wasn't on my mind when making and I'm glad people could bring it up here. I did this mostly following kind of the guidance from changes to other restraint methods like the zipties on bots and stuff.

I definitely don't have the knowledge to convert the PR to something more workable; I had to annoy Aloe more than what they're worth for help all the way through (sorry!), so I'd rather leave this + the particulars of what the right spot of balance is in the hands of Devs who are going to be more knowledgable than I about legitimate use cases when detaining griefers while waiting for admin intervention since...they're the ones seeing and responding to those use-cases!
(06-09-2021, 08:47 PM)Jakson Wrote: I really appreciate that Mordent brought up the idea of “attended” vs “unattended” restraint, sometimes you might need to secure someone for a long time, but prefer not want to deal with the slight annoyance of moving one tile every 30 seconds, and they might want to stick them in a chair and leave for a moment. While most people often don’t need it at all, it does make for good antag shenanigans.

I think they shouldn’t be touched at all, I have never seen anyone grief with them, or do anything broken with them. Nothing was wrong with it in the first place.

I've been turned into a monkey and stuffed into a straitjacket by a non-antag geneticist before.  It's pretty fucking shitty!
(06-10-2021, 01:15 AM)Mouse Wrote:
(06-09-2021, 08:47 PM)Jakson Wrote: I really appreciate that Mordent brought up the idea of “attended” vs “unattended” restraint, sometimes you might need to secure someone for a long time, but prefer not want to deal with the slight annoyance of moving one tile every 30 seconds, and they might want to stick them in a chair and leave for a moment. While most people often don’t need it at all, it does make for good antag shenanigans.

I've been turned into a monkey and stuffed into a straitjacket by a non-antag geneticist before.  It's pretty fucking shitty!
Well that just sounds like an ahelp problem if it’s a non-antag.
Please ahelp immediately if someone is doing this.
I really dislike the idea of straightjackets as they are in principle; I am strongly opposed to the idea of a legitimately inescapable restraint. That said, I have to echo what some others have said and point out that - perhaps surprisingly - I can't actually recall any instances where I've seen or heard of it being abused.
I've only ever really seen straight jackets used on RP, mostly to restrain someone who tries to suicide and then keep them to talk at for 30 minutes. Or to capture someone for way too long, I'll admit I've used these for similar reasons before and I was even tempted to make a PR to fix this a while back, I don't think this is really much of an issue on main but straight jackets suck a lot on RP.