HoS Application - Blahowsky
Usual character name: Bobby Bobowski, Berry Bobowski
BYOND username: Blahowsky
Discord username (if you are on our discord): 
Blahowsky #0823
Recommended by (if applicable): 
Goon servers you play: Morty or Sylvester, depends wich one has more people or just feel like the other one.

Reason for application:

The boots… they sound so good… and well, would love to get that HoS swag. Also, more often than not there’s no HoS during the round, at least for when I play. 
I am also doing this because I just really like the symbol that the HoS is and a bit wider perspective and abilities to act.
I was really anxious about making this application a thing, but here goes nothing.

Security experience (300 word minimum):
So, I've started off my adventure here in like march. Kind of early? Probably, but I must say, that I've been feeling more and more comfortable with being here and find myself playing security fairly often as of late. I must say, that this job is probably the most fun and stress job I have had. With some rounds being nice and calm to the absolute mayhem of trying to somewhat keep law and order, or well, at the very least not letting some psychos go on a murder spree. 

I do understand how most of the antags are supposed to work, and their goals. I also understand that it's not fun to just take away all the cool PDA stuff a traitor might have, so I might usually "accidentaly" slip it out of my pocket, or something like that. As for the more... monstrous ones, it all depends and what kind of player I am dealing with. If he wants to be fun and cooperate, then sure, let's not just kill that changeling and let it be somewhat under supervision if it's not acting up. Same principle goes to a vampire or werewolf or... well whatever else is out there. 

I have to admit, I still don't know a great deal about what's hiding in this game. But I'm eager to discover, and I also like to think that a HoS isn't supposed to be a walking talking wikipedia, but a good leader for security, and a role model for security. Maybe besides the drinking... I think that I am just kind of "just do the job" kinda guy, but I understood more and more that letting in some breathers and  s p i c e  in my shifts was really good for me to not go psycho. I never really lost my cool(I like to think so at least), well, at least physically. Some verbal "teachings" have to be done. Sometimes, I did find myself as the only guy to actually do anything, or even do the decisions, or try to overrule someone else's very dumb decisions. I try my best not to interrupt if someone else is handling a case well by themselves, unless they ask or I think I can add something to this.

Just to make things clear, I know that my english is sometimes slippery, but I think I am able to say what I mean fairly clearly.

Besides sec, I know medical and engineering pretty well, barely touched science, and I just sort of freestyle it on botany and catering. Second favourite job from security officer would definitly be janitor. Lets me relax a bit and enjoy looking fellers dealing with those pesky crimers.

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players
Use your whistles more! It is a very sad sight to see a whistle on the security table left to collect dust, or laying there forgotten in the pouch. It fairly clearly communicates you want someone to stop who is running from you without harm, or well, at least before they don’t stop so you pull out your taser, or a flash! Use the flash more, if you're gonna put down someone unarmed, I think it sends a bad message to just baton people.
Also, for the love of Space God, do the searches at security or at the very least somewhere that is not the middle of the hallway.
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
So, I was playing solo secoff, pretty lowpop, about 10 people I’m pretty sure. Got my gear, so let’s just walk around, talk a bit here and there. Then these two people come around, pretty openly rambling about how they were gonna destroy the station and all that, so I come up to them. Ask what they are doing and that I also need to search them, they were tripping the scanners. Well after that question they start beating me, so I try to answer with force, but they knock out the baton out of my hand and try to beat me. Thankfully I managed to get up and stun them with the taser. Handcuffed one, and then the other injected me with morphine(?), well it knocked me out. I get spaced , cloned, but hey I play as a puritan, but still, the doctor manages to bring me back, monkey cloned me. I return for my body out in space, get my stuff, and I’m just like “Okay, now it’s on.” Sadly captain wasn’t very available then so it was really just me against two folks who seemed to know what they were doing. Well, round two, this time it goes a bit better since I start it off, but the rad storm interrupts, so I run off to the mining shuttle and they hide in nearby maintenance. I think that was the most stress I have experienced in this game like, ever. Well, the rad storm ends, I find them in the bridge, round three. I’m just trying to get them stunned for long enough to get them cuffed, slammed them both like 6 times from a chair. We’re all pretty roughed up. Then… then well I had to cryo sadly. Still, that was probably the most intense fight I had as a lonely security officer. And also really the first one like that. Haven’t really done much fist fighting beforehand.
  • What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?
From what I’ve seen, I’d say that a bit steeper level of entry to security roles would be good, or maybe like a small introduction to people who get a sec job for the first time so they can get an understanding of how they should work a bit better.

It would be really handy if you could write a note in the sectrack, sort of like a ticket, that would add a security note to whoever you gonna touch with it. Much more handy than going to the computer and going through the process of clicking all the way too the person and writing whatever funny maymay you were gonna type. Although not to abuse it, you could maybe only add notes like this only to a handcuffed person, or someone who's already set to something that's not "nothing".
  • Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.
Well, with a full security team it depends what kind of people will fill out the slots. If it's somewhat experienced people, then usually we chat a bit, and share information from around the station on the current ongoing things. If some greenhorns, then it's time to give at least a few basic advices on how to be a good member of security. It would be really cool if people actually updated the records with their crimes, and yes, I am one of the weirdos who read everyone's record at the start and later to find out why a certain person is set to arrest. Too often have I asked "Why is x set to arrest?" and received "I dunno" or no reply. I do admit that I also often don't get around to updating notes since of other ongoing affairs or just forgetting.

While alone, I either do a few laps around the station and ask around how’s everyone doing, and then maybe sit on the desk for a bit. And… try to somewhat stay alive, cause it’s just gonna become chaos.

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.
Whose Donut is that? I think I know.
It’s mine of course. You ate it all.      
It was frosted. A delicious blow.   
And now it’s gone. Get ready to fall.
  • What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?                                                                                       
I’ll be honest with you, I just like to do the job. But I do enjoy playing along with whatever gimmicks other people come up with.
  •  Draw a picture!
 [Image: GamerChapel.PNG?width=214&height=300]

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): No bans, but was slapped on the wrist for blowing up most of the syndicate with an rpg as a syndicate commander, that was really at the starters for me.
Application is well written, and you seem to understand sec well. Unfortunately I haven't seen you ingame enough to make a real impression, but play a few more rounds as secoff, and I will 100 percent give a full rating.
While I do still think you're a good officer and have your head in the right place, I personally don't think you're ready for HoS just yet, but I've not played Security extensively for some time.

I respect the honesty and all regarding why you applied, because the gear you get is really cool, and you definitely have your head in the right place regarding Antag interaction and brigging procedure. One thing I'd like to see more of is some more initiative, and leadership skills along with some tutoring of newer Officers, in addition to more socialization with the crew.

A big mistake Officers tend to make, that I myself am also guilty of more often than I'd like to admit, is treating the job as Sec vs Antags, and only RPing with Antags. Its important as an Officer to build relationship with the day to day crew by stopping for chats, seeing how they're doing, hell, even ticketing them over something stupid. You're building your relationship with them as a trustworthy face, so you have that respect from them.

While I'm not saying you treat Security as Sec vs Antags, I'm concerned that in your app you only really talk about how you interact with Antags and not the crew as a whole. As HoS, you need to understand that your crew is just as important, and they're people just like you with thoughts and feelings.

Regardless, not gonna give a + or a - yet. Gonna try and play some more Sec and edit or add to this post accordingly based on my experiences with you over the application period.
(06-10-2021, 06:42 AM)Wrench-1 Wrote: While I do still think you're a good officer and have your head in the right place, I personally don't think you're ready for HoS just yet, but I've not played Security extensively for some time.

I respect the honesty and all regarding why you applied, because the gear you get is really cool, and you definitely have your head in the right place regarding Antag interaction and brigging procedure. One thing I'd like to see more of is some more initiative, and leadership skills along with some tutoring of newer Officers, in addition to more socialization with the crew.

A big mistake Officers tend to make, that I myself am also guilty of more often than I'd like to admit, is treating the job as Sec vs Antags, and only RPing with Antags. Its important as an Officer to build relationship with the day to day crew by stopping for chats, seeing how they're doing, hell, even ticketing them over something stupid. You're building your relationship with them as a trustworthy face, so you have that respect from them.

While I'm not saying you treat Security as Sec vs Antags, I'm concerned that in your app you only really talk about how you interact with Antags and not the crew as a whole. As HoS, you need to understand that your crew is just as important, and they're people just like you with thoughts and feelings.

Regardless, not gonna give a + or a - yet. Gonna try and play some more Sec and edit or add to this post accordingly based on my experiences with you over the application period.

While I still definitely think your app would show you in a better light if you talked more about the crew overall instead of just antags, after playing a bunch of rounds with you can say you definitely understand the importance of other crew members and the need to keep them safe.

You're a very responsible and respectful officer that communicates well, always uses the proper use of force, and talks with the community to build trust. I can see a bright future ahead of you for certain.

For that, I'll give you a +1
Recently I've been thinking to myself 'woah Bobby is a really good sec off, I can't wait for them to put in a app' just to find this. Bobby 100% gets a +1 from me because they're so committed to the role and tries so damn hard to keep things fun for everyone. I love that they come around to each department to chill, chat and make sure we're all doing okay and I love that they're not overly aggressive and actually care about the experience of antags as well. They are very good at taking charge and I communicate with others on security radio VERY well even when they get no reply from others, and they try to look out for everyone. I can see them doing an absolutely amazing job at HoS if they keep up what they're doing now
(06-15-2021, 01:19 AM)NapsWasTaken Wrote: Recently I've been thinking to myself 'woah Bobby is a really good sec off, I can't wait for them to put in a app' just to find this. Bobby 100% gets a +1 from me because they're so committed to the role and tries so damn hard to keep things fun for everyone. I love that they come around to each department to chill, chat and make sure we're all doing okay and I love that they're not overly aggressive and actually care about the experience of antags as well. They are very good at taking charge and I communicate with others on security radio VERY well even when they get no reply from others, and they try to look out for everyone. I can see them doing an absolutely amazing job at HoS if they keep up what they're doing now
This, Naps said it perfectly, +1
Bobby is a really fun officer to have on the force and I know we are going to have a good round whenever I see him on. I would be honored to have him as a HoS.
Easy +1 from me.
wasn't impressed a week/two weeks ago watching you deride a detective for performing an arrest (certainly within purview, they come with a *miranda verb and handcuffs in-office) because "[detectives] can't do that", versus something IC ("let's work together on things", "you're a loose cannon and I don't trust you); also assuming that the player was inherently being Not Good because he used his gun with stun rounds, despite that he did open his attempted arrest of a person...Marked For Arrest...with words, multiple times, to the person he fired on, who neither engaged verbally with the detective nor stopped physically.

perhaps you disagree with me on "allowable actions" for detectives, and we can set that aside. you approached this character, and yelled at him, repeteadly, "Listen!" over and over while telling him to put his gun away, he wasn't allowed to arrest people, saying he fired on someone without even speaking (which he tried to verbally engage and also said as much to you). i don't think once at all in the whole sequence of this you listened to the detective (you actually talked over him when he was explaining what his actions were) or said "hey, can you please tell me what you did and why?". you assumed he was wrong in the scenario, and he never got a chance to explain throughout the entire ordeal.

notably, the detective was also Super Drunk, and said he wanted to get antihol and then continue talking (interrupted by a radstorm). after, the detective was standing in medbay, awaiting medical treatment from the scarce doctors. he was standing around when you and the captain both entered, and you started stripping him of his ID in medbay, putting him under arrest while he asked, no less than twice while in medbay, if you could please let him get some antihol first so he could them come with you and speak more clearly to tell you what happened. at this point, i looc'd to please listen to his requests to get antihol. you and the captain ignored all of this and handcuffed him, then took him to sec.

in sec, he was stripped with the intent for demotion, of his ID, of his gun, of his PDA, of his headset, of hit has, of his jacket, and of his 300 starting credits (?????). he again begged if he could please get some antihol and be listened to. the hop then got involved, took his gear, and made herself the "head of detectives". for some reason, the sec team kept the credits that round even when the detective asked if he could please have them back to buy a new PDA. with nothing left to do and being totally demoted to staff assistant, the detective turned to vigilante justice against the person he thought got him in trouble after all this, the person he tried to arrest initially.

i've had okay experiences with you before. but there were a lot of problems with what i observed here that make me think you need to still work on leadership and teamwork skills before you'd be ready for hos, most critically of all being listening to other players. before the radstorm, before medbay, before all of the demotion stuff, you told the detective very simply "put the gun away, man". and you know what happened? he did. there was a direction to go there with taking just the gun, or then opening up trying to listen to his side of things. instead i saw what seemed to be disproportionate punishment for someone coorperative and open to feedback (disallowal of medical treatment when requested and justifiable; handcuff arrest of a compliant person; partial stripping in public/medbay; demotion for a detective who was willing to follow your guidance, established by the fact he listened to you about putting the gun away and did so).

you need to be aware of the way security empowers and also, in bad circumstances, depowers other players. here, a player became so depowered, they turned to borderline/self-antagging. different and more scaled punishment, maybe just the removal of the gun or w/e would've told a different story. when a player loads into the game and selects a role and they become functionally excluded from that role in a way that, to them, seems unfair and like the entire station, it's understandable why they get upset and don't think/want to do anything else if they had started the round thinking "i'm going to be detective!" and then suddenly they aren't; and then turn to less-productive and antagonistic behavior (this was not a plot point of interest, this was a player genuinely upset).

you also need to be reliable for your team (yes, detectives may be included). you had a detective willing to work as part of a security team, utilizing the updates that one of the officers (beepsky included?) set on a suspect to make a warranted engagement that would seem favorable to sec: someone saw this suspect doing something, set them to arrest, and probably would want that arrest status cleared either by arrest or working out whatever caused it, but this must start with approaching that person, which is what the det player did. in the case you don't see detectives as sec, then you need to be reliable for the station, just in general. CEs will pick you up when you get tranq'd, chefs will make you lunchboxes, and miners will gift you powercells, but you have to be open to including these people's RP in the greater scheme of a round, and these things don't come without offering respect to other players. what this means, and perhaps most importantly, is you need to be willing to listen, not to other characters but to other players. there was an opportunity to listen before the radstorm when the detective tried to explain his story and you shouted "Listen, man!" over him repeteadly. there was an opportunity to listen when he asked for antihol the first and second time in medbay while being arrested and ignored. there was an opportunity to listen the third time he asked, and an opportunity to listen when he asked if he could at least keep his clothes, or his PDA, or when he tried again to explain his side. there was an opportunity to listen when he asked if he could just please get his credits back. all of these were deferred. i can't remember if you specifically said anything but at least two players involved then went in discord after the round and called the detective "poo" and bad; and that the round was a "shitshow" (which seemed to be hinged specifically on the detective's performance).

as a final note; you are trusted as hos to have good judgement. i'd like to see that exercised at the officer-level before recommending for hos. there is a certain point where you can and will need to butt heads with the captain and hop. whether the arrest and demotion was asked for by the captain or the security team, you should know when it is time to ask for witnesses or the ai, or the suspect that was set to arrest, and give the detective a chance to speak to what they did (preferably sober).

-1 for now.
+1 from me. One of the good officers out there. They know what they're doing. I believe that, with a trial by fire they would do great as a HoS.
Yes, Bobby is a consistently good secoff and knows the rights from the wrongs.  If there's one person that can be fully relied on, it's definitely them.  I've seen nothing but consistently good security play and know they are fit for hos.  They know what the right choices to make are and can read the room well.

+1
Every time I've seen Bobby as Sec, regardless of whether I'm Sec/HoS myself or a regular crewmember, I've been impressed with their levelheaded and fairminded decisions. They engage with even the silliest gimmicks and take initiative to deal with situations in a patient and respectful way.

+1 good Sec broccoli man.
Bobby is an officer that goes beyond simply running after antags and is someone i can rely on when it comes to RPing things out. They often engage in antag gimmicks, dont restrain people unless its absolutely necessary and have made good progress over the last few months. The only thing i can add is that you seem a bit timid sometimes, when i think you could add some interesting dialogue since you generaly impact rounds in a positive way. Bobby is also often willing to sacrifice themselves for some drama or to go along with an antagonist's story, which may not seem like much, but shows that they care more about the overall plot than they do about simply making it out alive, which is a big plus for me as a HoS.
When it comes to processing antags i've seen bobby interrogate, interact with the person being processed and generaly try to keep punishments on the light side to keep rounds going, never going for extreme measures unless crimes have pilled up for a good long time.

Giving this app a +1.
Good Secoff, good at letting things happen and playing along, good antagonist as well. +1 from me.
+1 Ives seen bobby/Berry a lot as sec and they are always wonderful to interact with! they dont over use force
and also handle things in a very good way by being friendly and calm! they treat antags and crew both very well and always kind to both! they go along with antag gimmicks and try to make the round fun for everyone!

overall i feel they would be a great hos! and would be able to keep a shift fun for everyone!
+1 Bobby/Berry is very fun to interact with as security and I seem them all the time. Most things have already been said but they are just a great Officer and a great fella.