Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Make Dwarfism obtainable in those both ways
Hello, I usually like roleplaying as dwarf and blah blah

But it's kinda tiring going into the geneticist and waiting like 30 minutes just to get that trait
so uhh is it possible to make it buyable in the spacebex, or you can obtain it through the character editor like with the cock-roach and cow trait that would be really extremely nice!
I mean seems weird it isn't already
Not really a fan of this happening. The way dwarfism works is by subtracting pixels from a sprite and adjusting accordingly. This works... kinda, but leaves lots of sprites busted and awkward looking. The original reasoning for dwarfism being removed and replaced with this version was that dwarfism would require tons of sprites to even work. It being a rare occurrence would and a colossal undertaking lead the dwarfism mutantrace to removal. Pali, bless their soul, reintroduced dwarfism by making new dwafism into a bioeffect. It's actually pretty interesting how they did it but that's besides the point. Pali specifically left dwarfism as not a trait or anything round start due to several people, myself included, disapproving of it becoming a regular thing for a variety of reasons. My personal reason is that I'd rather not open up the door for "child RP." I've seen it on other servers and it goes very very very poorly.
Child RP? I thought it was removed because people thought it was rude to people with actual dwarfism? I dunno when the whole child thing came up. Easy fix is anyone that gets dwarfism always gets a permanent beard.
(06-07-2021, 12:39 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: Child RP? I thought it was removed because people thought it was rude to people with actual dwarfism? I dunno when the whole child thing came up. Easy fix is anyone that gets dwarfism always gets a permanent beard.

I said that was my personal reason. Not everyone else's.
Eh, Main goon doesn't have RP and the RP servers are somewhat loose about what they do.

Best thing to do (or at least what I would do) is treat them like the clearly psychologically clonked person that they are. Accuse them of being drunk or high again.

Ultimately alert an admin if they're being creepy about it.
There are lots of ways people could do bad RP stuff, usually the way to prevent it is having admins tell people not to do it, and then banning them if they do. That's why we have our ERP and bigotry rules, and IMO they work really well. If something is offensive however that is a much better reason to remove it.
My personal gripe is not what should be focused on. I included it as an example of the many reasonings of people. Clearly that was a mistake.
(06-07-2021, 11:44 AM)DimWhat Wrote: The way dwarfism works is by subtracting pixels from a sprite and adjusting accordingly. This works... kinda, but leaves lots of sprites busted and awkward looking.
This is what's important. Dwarfism messes up several sprites I.E. Mutantrace sprites, inhands for many many objects, many clothing items, etc.
Making dwarfism an ordinary thing would lead to broken sprites being equally ordinary. It is a flawed in design but the other solution was to resprite all clothing to fit.
I mean dwarf ALWAYS fucked with the sprites. There was a couple of outfits that they could use that actually worked with dwarfism. Like monkey outfits mostly because monkey sprites also already fucked with the clothing sprites.
Dwarf isn't an interesting gameplay thing or mutant race so I wouldn't be a fan of it being a trait and a third of the station looking weird and squished.
As someone whose characters canon height is short, I wouldn't mind it being accessible, but I'm not a fan of it being a trait either. Spacebux seems weird as well.
(06-07-2021, 06:05 PM)Varali Wrote: As someone whose characters canon height is short, I wouldn't mind it being accessible, but I'm not a fan of it being a trait either. Spacebux seems weird as well.

Yep, it does looks weird especially with the Captain's Armour but to be fair I suggested Spacebux too because uh I never gotten a use for it?
I want people who were directly hit by a mining power hammer special to become dwarves temporarily.

Edit: hammer not armor
(06-08-2021, 01:38 AM)Katzen Wrote: I want people who were directly hit by a power armor special to become dwarves temporarily.

If you're talking about what I'm thinking of they should oscillate between being dwarves and being stretched vertically.  Turn people into accordions.