Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Idea: Yeast
I've been doing some researching and brainstorming about how to replace vomit in cheesemaking, and I think I have an idea that I'm fond of.

Let's add yeast!

If you want to get natural yeast IRL (as opposed to buying active dry/powdered yeast, which is how you'll usually find it at the grocery store), an easy way to get it is through a sourdough starter. Sourdough starters are made of water and flour left to ferment, since yeast bacteria are naturally occurring in the air, and flour and water create an environment where they can feed and reproduce.

My proposal:

- Let's start with a sourdough starter. There is currently no recipe for putting Dough in the Processor, but the Processor is already used to make Cucumbers into Pickles, so let's have you put Dough into the Processor to make Sourdough.

- Sourdough can be either baked into Sourdough Bread (round boules as opposed to square loaves?) or put in the Reagent Extractor, where it will produce Yeast.

- Yeast can be added to Milk to result in Cheese in the same way that Vomit was before.

Additional potential ideas:

- Yeast can be poured out of its container to make a Dry Yeast object, which can be mixed with Sweet Dough to make Yeast Dough. Cut this with a Knife to make Rolls, which can be either baked as-is into Dinner Rolls, or baked along with sugar to make Sweetrolls! (May be stolen. Don't bother reporting this to Sec, unless you want to be mocked.)

- Yeast is also a potentially infectious agent. We don't have Pathology in the game right now, but there could be some interactions there. I would strongly suggest going with thrush as a yeast-based disease, rather than what people automatically think of when they hear the phrase "yeast infection." Rule 4 and all.

I would be happy to do the sprites and coding to make all this happen (Minus the pathology part). What do you think?
I would actually like this because it lets me make cheese in a reliable way that isn't scooping up a ton of vomit and just so happening to be a cow!
would using the still to ferment the yeast be appropriate?

it's basically a catch all object for everything fermentation, even for drinks that aren't distilled (like wine)
I like the idea of using the still! It can be used for something other than Every Discount Dan Product, heh.
Yeast as an ingredient for brewing and baking would be great, but I think some sorta stocked 'cheese culture' would be more appropriate for cheesemaking.
A generic cheese culture could work! My intent was to come up with an alternate method for cheesemaking that opened up a bit more flavor. An item called Cheese Culture that just gets added to milk and gets stocked in the Foodtech would be a simple thing to implement.
More cheese making methods sounds Gouda.
yeah, i'd appreciate there being an easier and more professional way of producing cheese than the old vomit and milk in the fire extinguisher trick. Keep the vom recipe around for hobo chem though (or i guess in this case, hobo kitchen)
Yeast would also open up a better brewing system. Yeast + whatever + sugar, leave it in a container for a while and get home brewed alcohol.
I think this would be a great addition to the game, there is a lot of stuff you can make from it.
(06-04-2021, 10:54 AM)Sord213 Wrote: Yeast would also open up a better brewing system. Yeast + whatever + sugar, leave it in a container for a while and get home brewed alcohol.

I am excited at the idea of making pruno in the toilets
first there was bath salt, now there could be bath BOOZE