Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Curare shouldn't pen skin, like its IRL version (also for balance reasons)
Curare, for some strange reason in this game, penetrates skin, when its IRL version only contaminates through deep wounds or when injected.

This attribute of penetrating skin has lead to abuse of it, particularly on goon main, in which it can easily and instantly be applied through simply splashing a tightly held beaker onto anyone not wearing a biosuit, resulting in an easy and nearly undetectable (aside from a small animation and a single line of text) way to permastun someone for long periods of time.
Ammonium bicarbonate also fails to work against it unlike many other similar stun chems, resorting to players having to use calomel after exposure. Lastly, it is relatively easy to produce, especially for traitor botanists, adding to its easy-to-abuse nature.
Isn't this only in poison bottles?
pretty sure you can grow it in botany
(06-02-2021, 02:08 AM)Carbadox Wrote: pretty sure you can grow it in botany

not anymore
https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...7c8223b9fd

Not anymore, quivering contusine contains histamine instead, as of recently
That seems ... really disappointing?
Histamine doesn't seem very useful, like, not something I'd wanna grow plants for? :/
And curare was thematic, I wish we'd just nerfed it instead, we have so many dangerous chems that are only RNG findable already.
Move curare to a mutation that can't spawn in seeds from the vendor IMO.

As to the thread itself, curare indeed does not penetrate skin IRL (and in fact can't even penetrate the damn intestinal lining) and really shouldn't in-game.
Oh you can GROW histamine now? Shit thats very useful....no wait that recipe has probably been changed over the years.
(06-02-2021, 02:15 AM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: That seems ...  really disappointing?
Histamine doesn't seem very useful, like, not something I'd wanna grow plants for? :/
And curare was thematic, I wish we'd just nerfed it instead, we have so many dangerous chems that are only RNG findable already.

klutz was walking around and hitting people with it on touch, it basically perm stuns and starts killing in a few seconds. If the touch was removed that could've done it but also reduces its effectiveness out of poison bundles. Also histamine can be super useful, it's really deadly if let alone for a little bit and to anyone allergic they are basically just dead now.
(06-02-2021, 04:49 PM)Drewmajor11 Wrote:
(06-02-2021, 02:15 AM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: That seems ...  really disappointing?

klutz was walking around and hitting people with it on touch, it basically perm stuns and starts killing in a few seconds. If the touch was removed that could've done it but also reduces its effectiveness out of poison bundles. Also histamine can be super useful, it's really deadly if let alone for a little bit and to anyone allergic they are basically just dead now.
I don't really see how that matters, seeing as I did say I wish we had nerfed it.
And if it ends up too weak due to that, we can always remove it from poison bottles, those have plenty of other things already, while curare felt like a cool botany specific thing to me.
I agree with Zjd on this. Unique stuff is cool and histamine is the wasp's thing.
Based on the effects of the reagent I can see an argument for limiting it to antagonists given that they have to burn a limited resource to even get a chance (1/24?) of getting it and even then in a limited quantity.

That said, I agree with zjdtmkhzt that the loss of such a thematic element is a bummer.  Having botany having an RNG chance of getting a less potent version (perhaps non-penetrating and less-stunning) seems like an okay compromise.

Providing botany traitors the means of more easily getting access to this and other antagonistic flora would be interesting especially if there was a variety of options to reward the "long game".

---

Edit: To be clear, based on reading what the drug did I wasn't surprised it was removed from access to botany.  I hope something in a similar vein could be re-introduced.