Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Official Iguana Fortress Thread
Okay, so... don't really know how to start this, so let's just dive in! This is going to be the thread where I post each yearly update for the Iguana Fortress. (For reference, a name thing has been going around in the Discord, the person behind it is doing a Rimworld colony called Iguana Town, so this is my take on it in Dwarf Fortress, hence the name: Iguana Fortress.) So the game is mildly different than plain Dwarf Fortress. For starters, the dorfs (dwarves) were modified to become much more lizard-like, and I won't get into all the changes, but it's a fair bit different. Also, in case anyone cares, I will be playing on ASCII with the "Lazy Newb" pack installed. This just lets me customize stuff a bit more, to make the Iguana People more Iguana-ish and also rename a cow to Cal, because if I can't do that, then what's this all been about?

The characters in it are all going to be based off of people in the discord/forum/however you'd like to contact me. (NOTE: I still need more people, as the number of Iguanas is rapidly increasing! If you're interested in being a character just send me a message with the character's name, and anything you want to tell me about them. It can be incredibly short, just their name and a job for them, or it can be a full character description! Have some fun with it.) 

Okay, so on to the important part. Every in-game year I will post in this thread about what happened. If you're curious what it's going to look like, it will be in a similar style to Boatmurdered (https://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/) but I will be playing each year. 

Feel free to give suggestions, ideas, and anything else! Year one will be coming very soon, so you can either subscribe, or by special request I will ping you 200 times every update. Don't test me.

Edit: No whining about ASCII. ASCII is the most beautiful thing to ever exist.
I can try to answer questions about the rimworld colony that is planned, or the name gimmick if anyone has any! Was the one who started the name gimmick of Iguana Town on the goonstation discord!
Okay, time for the update for year 1! I didn't keep great notes of what happened, so hopefully future updates will be written a bit better. Also the days are likely wrong.

Day 1:

Just got immediate orders I'm supposed to travel out to some random hobbit hole in the middle of nowhere, to quote, "organize the other iguanas." Ah well, orders are orders.

Day 15:

After two long weeks of travel, my crew and I finally arrived. I look up at the sign, Lizard Fortress? That's offensive, we're Iguanas, not lizards. This place is kind of miserable, there's no- GOLD! IS THAT GOLD? MORE GOLD, GOLD EVERYWHERE! Okay, this isn't so bad. We're going to be STACKED! You can call me whatever you want if you're going to fill my coffers with gold. I'm going to turn in for the night, and start setting up tomorrow.

Day 16:

I assigned a woodcutter to remove some of the natural forestry in this area. All in the names of progress, right? 

Day 20: 

Time to finally get some shelter. My mining team of two, lead by Jurgen Bishop are carving out an area for us to store our goods, this wagon won't do. I decide to have the wood stockpiled right near the entrance, and set up a little area for catching fish. Not really a thing Iguana People do, but our food stores are far from infinite. 

Day 30:

As we come to the close of the first month, I realize I forgot about food. Let's dig out a separate area in the dirt for a farm.

Day 45:

Farming plump helmets and pig tails has become. Our expedition leader and founder, Drarqoq Surgehill, agrees to take the lead on that, and grabs another Iguana to help them out. 

Day 70:

A large area has now been dug out. Let's start filling it. 

Day 71:

The Trade Depot and hub for the fortress has been completed.

Day 73: 

The drawbridge has been completed, but there is no lever to raise it. It's quite pretty though.

Day 80:

A large storeroom has been set up, and the lazy Iguanas seem to like moving goods there instead of working. We're going to need some more colonists.

Day 85:

Our main workshop area has been completed. Now to fill it with some workshops, and maybe some talented craftslizards? I don't have hours to watch them build beds.

Day 100:

Passed our first 100 days with no fatalities! That excludes some animals we had to butcher. They sure eat a lot of food, but the farm should keep us running. 

Day 150:

Winter is coming. Thank god the caravan came. Unfortunately, Iguanas seem to hate organization (this definitely was not because I forgot the nobles tab existed, this is 100% just roleplay) so we don't have anyone assigned as a broker or bookkeeper. Ah well, one of the Iguanas that tagged along with this caravan walks over there and starts trading. He said he once traded silver coins for some food, so I guess he's qualified. They get really pissy when we offer them "bad" trades, so they end up leaving. Good riddance! We're not selling our gold until it's all nice and refined.

Day 170:

Sleeping outside is getting more difficult with winter coming. We need some bedding. I assign our carpenter (who seems to be the only competent Iguana, and kind of incredible at a number of things) to build as many beds and doors as possible and our mining team of three is setting up an area underground for sleeping. 

Day 175:

Now that everyone has a bed (at least the more useful ones, the lazy ones can freeze!) we need to set it up so that the light can heat their beds. Iguanas use heat from the sun (sunbathing) to keep themselves warm, so lets cut us a hole down the mountain. 

Day 200:

Some of those holes got flooded part way down, so we're going to be abandoning this project until further notice. You could say this was my fault for not properly investigating the water, or noticing that it would very obviously flood, but you'd be wrong. My judgement is impeccable.

Oh yeah, someone built a cabinet. https://imgur.com/a/ZobWJsy Imagine being that proud of a... cabinet. Clogged up one of my workshops for a long time too!

Day 245:

Some Iguana just sat down and declared himself the Chief Medical Dwarf? Delusional, and clearly unqualified, but I don't really care. Gizzard the Lizard Wizard can do what he wants.

Day 250:

A lever has been built for the drawbridge, but not actually hooked up. I should also mention that we made a kitchen, Tavern, and food storeroom for the Iguanas and any possible visitors. This is also keeping us stocked on alcohol. There is a total of 20 Iguana People. 

Final notes: 

All of my dates are wrong, because I didn't actually keep dates as I went. Years are definitely longer than 250 days. It'll be fixed by the next update! I'm still learning, so feel free to give me some advice. I have a lot of improvements in mind, but the more the merrier! Also, going to link a bunch of screenshots.

Created partway through, not a current picture, but HIGHLY recommend if you're newer to ASCII:
https://imgur.com/3PzhHYO

Full map of the main level:
https://imgur.com/hkxrnmV

Map of the level with beds:
https://imgur.com/P8k59sk

Our Iguanas!:
https://imgur.com/uIABBlO

Note that this picture was taken before some of them were renamed and modified for people who wanted to be in the Iguana Fortress.
Note that there seems to be a bug where the deaths of wild animals keep resetting.
Ah, I always imagined leading a mining team, innit
I think Drarqoq could qualify as a librarian/bookkeeper later on! Assuming they are the same thing that is!
Yeah, and Jurgen could be a cook, although we already have a Butcher
Would it be possible to put in either Franziska Jackson or Jim Reaper? (Jim's my non-rp character) just wondering lol, what jobs would be available?
(06-01-2021, 09:35 AM)TheRealFlapJackson Wrote: Would it be possible to put in either Franziska Jackson or Jim Reaper? (Jim's my non-rp character) just wondering lol, what jobs would be available?

100%! Just need their character's name and a bit about them. There are all sorts of jobs, from farming, to mining, to cooking, and you can set them to whatever. Be creative!
>not using the mayday texture pack
?
(06-01-2021, 10:17 AM)AmazingDragons Wrote: Edit: No whining about ASCII. ASCII is the most beautiful thing to ever exist.
I'd have a dwarf if you don't mind. I'm thinking a farmer named Jimmy Wilkins in honor of the first job I tried in SS13. Ideally, I would like him drafted into the militia as soon as possible and ideally sent on as many high risk, plum-suicidal missions as possible.
(06-01-2021, 12:27 PM)TheCactusMan Wrote: I'd have a dwarf if you don't mind. I'm thinking a farmer named Jimmy Wilkins in honor of the first job I tried in SS13. Ideally, I would like him drafted into the militia as soon as possible and ideally sent on as many high risk, plum-suicidal missions as possible.
Can do!
How about a character based on my current D&D player character?

A jumping spider woman named Silkie (or silky, both spellings are okay) who's a clothier (spiders, weaving, that jazz) and also has some skill in stringed instrument playing, instrument making, and cooking. (for those undertale memes.) She is very soft, as assumed. Good for cuddling.

Edit: (Extra details and fluff) Her full name is Charlotte Silkspin-Dustweaver, but people just call her Silkie or Charlotte. She's also built like Muffet from undertale in the way that she has three pairs of arms and one pair of legs. Also proficient in wrestling, as she has six arms for grappling and throwing people around.

Another question, will you post updates here on how the fortress is going?
Throw in Jackson thrax and lets see what happens solder throw me in that fucking damger room and lets make some magic happen
https://discord.com/channels/18224996089...9942521966 From Monacrow on the Discord, they havent posted here yet to join in the fort.

Fuck, screenshot reply acted up

I do not know how to fix  image replys, f u c k
Ended up just adding in a link and replacing the screenshot, due to it being p a i n.