HoS application (Thebluehat_ / Barney Calhoun)
Usual character name: Barney Calhoun
BYOND username: Thebluehat_
Discord username (if you are on our discord): The blue hat #0233
Recommended by (if applicable): Haven't explicitly asked.
Goon servers you play: #1 classic (Heisenbee)

Reason for application: Love the security experience as a whole, would absolutely love to step it up a notch, and teach newer players mechanics.

Security experience (300 word minimum): I always was afraid of playing security, but after I got myself to log on as an officer once I was compelled to play again and again, no matter if the round was a snoozefest or not. There were always good moments with other officers, who I thought would be far more judging, but weren't, I always loved tag teaming threats with fellow officers to get the satisfying moment of a job well done. There were always moments where I flubbed up, lost my baton, got killed by an antag, But in those moments I always learnt something new, for example baton discipline, special attacks, gun modes, etc. etc.

Which brings me to another point I have, which is teaching new players the ropes or helpful mechanics. Every once in a while I spawn in with a confused officer who doesn't know how to buckle in cuffed people, pull off complex moves or snitching out antags. Every time I thought something new to another officer something I had a good feeling of teamwork. Speaking of it, teamwork is another essential point of me loving the security department. There is always going to be "that" officer who just loses everything they have to a bartender or a botanist, but each time there was another communicable officer on shift I would always think that the round would be better, and they turn out to be so.  Teamwork is an essential component of security and many people seem to miss out on it, unless there's an HoS who dispatches everyone wherever they need to be. The security experience was overall better for me when there was someone to guide people where to go, and how to perform whatever task on hand. 

And personally, I haven't been that top-tier of robust where I could take out a wizard with bare hands, but I could always take on a threat head on, and take it out myself unless they're on 50 different drugs and have 90 genes. I usually am the "first responder" to any threat announced over the radio, always ready to run a marathon to get to someone who needs to be taken down, and always ready to pull out the taser when they start running away.

In conclusion: The security experience is far more fun than I imagined it to be, I enjoy teaching players what to (and not to) do; And liked coordinated teamwork.

Answer two or more of the following:
What advice would you give to other sec players?
  Definitely inventory management or weapon discipline, I've seen other security officers try to arrest someone just for the criminal to run away because they didn't have cuffs on hand or were too slow to pull them out. Another piece of advice I'd give out is weapon discipline. In some cases officers are running down the hall with a baton on hand, then slip, and then a staffie picks it up. I'd recommend officers to have their weapon belt menu open at all times instead of having the baton in hand for the entire round and be quick on the draw.
What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
 There was once a staffie who kept breaking into security and just farting, screaming, or emitting whatever noise he could pull out. When he was brigged he would just keep banging on the door and farting right in front of us, other security officers and me went to medbay to cut his butt off, but then after it he just kept doing the same except he was screaming this time. By the end of the dilemma half the security staff was laughing their asses off.
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):

What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
 I always tell people to catch me later so I'll buy them a beer, say Barney's lines and be as NPC-like whenever applicable.

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): none
Personally, I must say no. I feel like I've only recently seen you in the game (which your first post on the goonstation discord being less than a month ago reinforces this feeling of you being new). While I have played with you a few times and you seem a decent sec off I currently feel like you should spend more time on goonstation playing more roles than just security.
(08-02-2021, 01:18 PM)Alexalmighty502 Wrote: Personally, I must say no. I feel like I've only recently seen you in the game (which your first post on the goonstation discord being less than a month ago reinforces this feeling of you being new). While I have played with you a few times and you seem a decent sec off I currently feel like you should spend more time on goonstation playing more roles than just security.

I've been around since 2020 and probably the reason you haven't seen me much is because I was frequently changing characters, "bad pitt" or "Jeremy Elberston", etc etc. Its true that I'm new to the discord, the reasoning behind that being that the in-game link lead to a dead site and I've discovered in a different way. Barney Calhoun is my sort-of go-to now that I've only made weeks ago, and I decided to stick with that character because, well, I like Barney's character.
(08-02-2021, 02:19 PM)TheBlueHat_ Wrote: I've been around since 2020 and probably the reason you haven't seen me much is because I was frequently changing characters, "bad pitt" or "Jeremy Elberston", etc etc. Its true that I'm new to the discord, the reasoning behind that being that the in-game link lead to a dead site and I've discovered in a different way. Barney Calhoun is my sort-of go-to now that I've only made weeks ago, and I decided to stick with that character because, well, I like Barney's character.

Okay if that's the case turn my no into neither yes or no(for now). I personally have not played with you enough to get a full opinion on how you play. my main worry was just how new your account seemingly was.

I would advise you to add the names of ALL characters you play(ed) to your original post however
Hey, we really appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to lack of community feedback. You're welcome to reapply in 60 days, which would be December 9. In the meantime, I'd encourage you to keep sec officering!