Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Change to PTL or million credit objective
I like the original changes to the PTL, I don't think I'd have a clear idea about the threshold stuff for the medal until looking at it in retrospect, but I do like and appreciate that on that PR the "floor" for PTL power production was lowered so that char and low-end chamber burns produce some money. I think now it's just about finding the "ceiling".

I'd say yes to pipeburn or agent B; I think to earn the medal it should be about pulling out and using a lot of the tools given to make burns exciting and different; and while I don't think it should be something only obtainable through minmaxing the engine in as many aspects as possible, I think it'd be nice if the engineers setting the engine for that burn could master let's say three of the four areas you listed in the course of their setup. They get good at matsci, know how and when to use agent b, and do the chemicals in the circulators? I think that's probably proficient. So, to relate to the last bit, I also don't think this is cleanly resolved until other agent b stuff is hammered out.

I'll second the medal idea too; maybe 1.21 Jiggawatts isn't the medal for any engineer, but maybe there's some sort of Junior Achievement medal level for being on the team vs. leading it that could be made? That way people can maybe take things one step at a time; work as a normal engineer until they find a setup that works, and then use that knowledge to teach others to try and replicate that success.

To be honest, I wouldn't know what to say about power scaling and what the Precise Number would be. My experience is anecdotal; I have only seen one person hburn to 500GW on Destiny since the engine changes and they did it on main without agent b and without matsci (not sure about circs, minmaxed creative gas combos), in a 70 minute round, but I think that's kind of the outlier scenario of the Very Best Case for someone running an engine. Mysterious happenings!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Change to PTL or million credit objective - by nefarious6th - 05-24-2021, 01:15 PM