Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Give Genetics more privacy
I envy the certain rooms that have a button that lets you toggle curtains or blinds and keep you from seeing people with their ugly mugs pressed against your windows and fogging up the glass. If any department needed it everywhere, it's Genetics for sure.
Blinds seem good. People can still beat on the glass if they want your attention.
Disagree with this, it's much funnier that they block everything out mentally rather than mechanically.
Yes but only because then I can close the blinds while I murder them.

Actual answer: no, they don't need to be even more insulated from the outside world.
IMO genetics as a job benefits design-wise from being incredibly visible. The more they actually see things around them the more they feel like they're playing a multiplayer videogame, which is good! I think most jobs with lots of privacy would benefit from being designed like cog1 genetics even: out in the open for all to stare at.
Yeah genetics doesnt need more solitude
Na. Give genetics LESS privacy. Make it so everyone at all times can look in on them and bang on their doors and glass.
As it happens, and early iteration of my cog1 cloning/genetics redesign (https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/4776) did include blinds on the genetics suite (basically the same as chem). It was a Very Unpopular Idea, and got scrapped. Reasons given included the fact that geneticists are already super isolated and more reason for crew to not interact with them is a Bad Thing.
intresting idea: let anyone enter genetics whenever they feel like but make it so only geneticists can use the console
I mean we could just give them their own room out in space that only they can normally get into, while we're at it.

Until genetics reacts to a nuke with something more than heavy disinterest, please no
(05-22-2021, 08:48 PM)Technature Wrote: I mean we could just give them their own room out in space that only they can normally get into, while we're at it.

Until genetics reacts to a nuke with something more than heavy disinterest, please no

increase the chance of genetics being rolled as a nuke plant location
Some blinds aren't gonna stop people from banging on windows and doors. People who sit at the radio ship know that it just makes people want to get inside even more. The ability to not see inside Genetics won't stop people from knowing about the cool shit that goes in on there and wanting to be a part of it, so virtually nothing changes except for one thing: whether or not Geneticists have to see their dumb faces.

It's not going to make them have even more tunnel vision than they already do. I'm sure we're all very aware of how little they interact with the world around them even when it's in full sight and breaking down their doors. As long as they have a big'ole UI and a lot of fun busywork to do, they will remove themselves from reality and do their jobs until they die.

Any speculation beyond that on what window curtains would do is pure fantasy.
(05-22-2021, 10:06 AM)Rilor Wrote: intresting idea: let anyone enter genetics whenever they feel like but make it so only geneticists can use the console

thats why im suggesting this so its easier for people to bug them. if they wont interact with the world, let the world more easily interact with them
As someone who loves genetics, no.
this will also make it so it will be harder to yell at geneticists who put up bad genes.

Also, this is more a mapping thing then a ideas thing.
new idea, can we delete genetics?