HoS Application - Rebecca Frost
Usual character name: Rebecca Frost

BYOND username: zcrow
Discord username (if you are on our discord): scrcro#5745
Recommended by (if applicable):
Goon servers you play: Heisenbee

Reason for application:

Having played security officer a significantly large proportion of my game time, I've experienced both good and bad officers. A lack of leadership often leads to poor team performance, and inconsistency in enforcing the law. I try to help newer officers or ones behaving in an unbecoming manner to better themselves and make things fun for everyone involved. However, as a lowly member of the team, my words only carry so much weight. They're more of a suggestion, rather than an instruction. Carrying the authority of the role would, in theory at least, give those officers more of a reason to listen and learn and develop their performance. Further, the results/feedback of applying for this role also give me an idea of how well known/liked/hated my character is and what I can do to improve that. 

Security experience (300 word minimum):

I seemingly end up working security more often than any role. At least that's the way I perceive it. As a result, I've had the chance to learn from some of the more experienced officers on what is and isn't appropriate. My main driving principle is "fun". If I'm going to enforce the law, I'm going to put myself in the shoes of the people I'm sharing the station with. I prefer not to resort to aggression out of the gate. I don't enjoy it when the first interaction I have with a security officer is their baton cracking my skull. Words, then weapons. I have found that just talking to someone doing something they shouldn't is more often than not more effective in stopping bad behavior then resorting to outright punishment. Crew (particularly the newer members) fighting amongst each other are often unaware of what is and isn't acceptable. A few words of caution and advice goes a long way. The vast majority of the time if I'm having to deal with a crew-member causing mischief I will play along. I'd much rather give someone the benefit of the doubt and let them continue enjoying their play. When push comes to shove, I'll bring them into custody and ensure they're given a fair sentence for their crimes. I frequently have to speak to fellow officers on the subject of proportionality. For example, not perma-brigging a crew-member for opening a door panel. When the threat is more antagonistic in nature, I will do my best to make a decision that least impacts their enjoyment of the game. For example, confiscating contraband where appropriate. Or having a spy-thief turned into a borg, rather than outright killing them and ending the round for them.

I pride myself on communicating with my team, regardless of whether or not they're as responsive. The way I see it, even if they're not actively speaking to each other, broadcast information may get picked up at some point by someone. Nothing beats having a team who keep in constant contact and apprise each other of the situation. Things can get pretty busy on the radio, and getting clear information from your buddies is essential.

The bottom line. I try to make sec fun for myself, my fellow officers, and the crew we protect and serve.

Answer two or more of the following:
What advice would you give to other sec players?
Use your words. You'll be surprised how effective talking to a crew member about their actions can be. It doesn't always work, there'll always be those who have no interest in cooperating with security. In those situations restraint and proportionality are key. Don't resort to unnecessarily harsh or brutal punishments. You wouldn't like it if it'd happened to you, so show a little empathy. We're all here for the same reason. 

What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?
Security is a team effort. Lone wolf officers can be effective, but as explained in a later answer there's a limit to that effectiveness. I think it would be beneficial for officers to have an official 'partner' with whom they patrol. The information could be relayed to them in the form of a round-start pop-up. There's nothing to enforce that partnership, but I believe actively encouraging it would result in more officers realizing they don't have to go it alone. They benefit from having a buddy to talk to and assist them. They get the opportunity to learn if their partner is more experience, and they get to teach if their partner is less experienced. Everyone wins. 

Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.
Working with a team of fellow officers is a mixed bag. Depending on who you end up working with, having a buddy to patrol with is a great experience. Its an opportunity to share knowledge and learn from each other. Just being able to shoot the shit while on shift can be fun in of itself. Not to mention the fact that having backup makes defusing a situation or apprehending a suspect less likely to go wrong. I'm definitely a lot more relaxed about things when I know I have backup I can count on.

Conversely, working alone I have to work harder. A single security officer has a very difficult job dealing with potentially many perpetrators at once. It is somewhat refreshing to see other crew members stepping in to assist when things go sideways. As a result, working alone has taught me to avoid escalating situations unnecessarily, as you're more than likely only reducing your odds of survival even faster than they already are. 

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):

What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
I would like to run a self-defense training class for new crew members who want to learn how to better protect themselves against harm. Inviting guest speakers with experience and robust-ness to train and demonstrate techniques to less experienced players would definitely be on that list. 

Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.

Grumpy lil Red Shirt
Bane of Staff Assistant Lives
"How to Harm Baton?"

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
None, to the best of my knowledge. I have made mistakes in the past leading to an admin message, but nothing further than that.
As some of you might have noticed, I edited the original application with a revision requested by zcrow. Forum permissions seem to be set to disallow regular users from editing their posts on this particular subforum, so they can't do it themselves. The revision just expands the Security Experience section. If you made any decisions off the application, you probably ought to reread the application.
Rebecca Frost is a personal favorite of mine. I have served alongside them extensively. Not only does the name bring to mind an image of a Pink-frosted cupcake, they have been nothing but helpful and pleasant to have on the team. Never have I seen them abuse crew or utilize unwarranted force. I would certainly attest to their diligence and reliability with regard to security matters. They are someone that, When I see them putting a prisoner in the brig, I can simply walk away knowing very well that the prisoner will have all their needs taken care of. Rebecca keeps in radio contact plenty, often relegating himself to a "desk-position," coordinating with the entire Security-team, handling requests at the front desk, keeping the department secure, all until needed on the frontlines.

I can support this application. +1.

While I am granting a "Yes", I would like to see more leadership from you.
Intervene in behalf of prisoners. Save the crew from the abusive officers. Give orders.
In spite of neither having the rank, nor authority, assume the position and assert yourself.
Your authority is only your ability to enforce your will. Utilize your weaponry to carry it out.

Moreover, I feel you could benefit from employing much more effective methods for dealing with no-gooders.
While words are nice, words don't stop greytiders, criminals, nor rouge officers. Use your weapons.
They're only stuns, nobody will get hurt so long as you do a good job.
Hey, we really appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to lack of community feedback. You're welcome to reapply in 60 days, which would be August 26. In the meantime, I'd encourage you to keep sec officering!