Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Remove martian chance from salesman spawn
(05-18-2021, 10:51 AM)cyberTripping Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 10:47 AM)Splints Wrote: What if martians were made to have a energy boosted or no-cooldown telepathy by default? That would let the players talk and that seems like it would fit their lore a bit.

Wouldn't solve the issue. I wasn't able to fully figure it out, but I think humans can already understand a martian character's speech. Even if they can't, the more pressing concern is martians being unable to understand anything, almost like an incurable deafness. I mentioned telepathy in the original post on the basis that if genetics sold it at the gene booth, the humans would also be able to buy it.

That is the sole reason I love martians. Grab a pen and paper and write...or play a more strange mime OR convert people to become martians too! Three fine options to go by.
(05-18-2021, 11:53 AM)GORE Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 10:51 AM)cyberTripping Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 10:47 AM)Splints Wrote: What if martians were made to have a energy boosted or no-cooldown telepathy by default? That would let the players talk and that seems like it would fit their lore a bit.

Wouldn't solve the issue. I wasn't able to fully figure it out, but I think humans can already understand a martian character's speech. Even if they can't, the more pressing concern is martians being unable to understand anything, almost like an incurable deafness. I mentioned telepathy in the original post on the basis that if genetics sold it at the gene booth, the humans would also be able to buy it.

That is the sole reason I love martians. Grab a pen and paper and write...or play a more strange mime OR convert people to become martians too! Three fine options to go by.

"desperately try to rope anyone else into the dance you need to do to communicate, or alternatively grief" is not a particularly strong argument in favor of martians. I tried writing a couple times, and was distributing fliers and shit, people just really didn't seem to get the memo. People talk about converting people to martians, but considering how little fun I had, I'd have to imagine a nontraitor using mutagen or whatever to martianize the crew would be ground to Ahelp.
You wrote grief. I did not.

It is enough to state what these pills do and drop them on the ground.
Nice strawman there cyberTripping.
(05-18-2021, 12:16 PM)GORE Wrote: You wrote grief. I did not.

It is enough to state what these pills do and drop them on the ground.
Nice strawman there cyberTripping.

I... what? Sure, floorpills work I guess in the same virtue that sheltergrog floorpills work and technically aren't grief because it's voluntary, but cmon. Have some fucking respect for me and don't do this debate club shit.
Then please read what I wrote and do not interpret stuff into my words and sentences.

Instead of trying to build an argument around the uncertainty that floated within the room, you could've asked me to clarify.
Invalidating my argument because of such neglegence is reacted to in a similar fashion.

No hostility. Plain discomfort to illusion.
(05-18-2021, 01:09 PM)GORE Wrote: Then please read what I wrote and do not interpret stuff into my words and sentences.

Instead of trying to build an argument around the uncertainty that floated within the room, you could've asked me to clarify.
Invalidating my argument because of such neglegence is reacted to in a similar fashion.

No hostility. Plain discomfort to illusion.

Alright, sorry about misinterpreting you. Still don't think many people would enjoy getting martianized.
(05-18-2021, 10:43 AM)Flaborized Wrote: I for one think if Martians are gonna be resprited they ought to also be redesigned, since the actual design of them is ripped directly from Metal Slug. We can be more original than just taking a different game's martians !

Which are themselves taken from an adaptation of War of the Worlds, as I recall.  Not necessarily directly, the octopus/jellyfish martian is the standard depiction in Japanese media.
I honestly like the current design it should be kept
The original book described them as having beaks, which I think could look hilarious.

Instead of going for squid beak, we could make em like a big bird's head on tentacles
as someone who really likes the sprite art in metal slug, I would really like to keep to its design.