Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
[CLOSED PR] Manta inner engineering revamp
Thumbs Down 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[INPUT]

About the PR
This change expands inner engineering, the CE office, engineering control room, and some of engineering storage has been compressed to accommodate some of this. Inner engineering was previously ~110 tiles, it is now ~270.
[Image: 118398614-0b043a80-b61f-11eb-8405-76a8d4f1631d.png]

Why's this needed?
Manta as a map wasnt designed for a singularity, previously inner engineering was way too small to practically work on one. Staying in the engine room would lead to you getting emped, not allowing you to hear comms. This PR should make managing a singularity on manta nicer, and should make doing singularities larger then 5x5 somewhat viable on manta.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Ikea
(*)Inner engineering on manta has been expanded.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Copy Pasting my thoughts from GitHub
I suggest getting rid of that door, it doesn’t make sense and is a massive security risk for the room with all the CE’s stuff in it. If you wanted a more accessible SRB, throw it in the CE office so the AI just opens to door in case of singuloose (also cargo usually pumps out as many as they can buy so it’s not much of a problem). why is there a Mop in the CE’s locker. You said it’s a former janitor office and cited horizon, but the difference between this and horizon is the dynamic of the clown being in the Captains Quarters and vice versa against the CE and the Janitor, two jobs which don’t interact like Cap and The Clown. The CE would have cleaned out the entire thing and made it theirs unlike our cheapstake of a captain. The whole office kinda just seems cramped in general. You could probably remove the wall separating the office and the bedroom to open it up more if space is a issue. That human is the wrong spawner by the looks of it, might need to go back and fix it. Add some form of way to move between maintenance and the aft most air locks out of the sub (I suggest pipes if you don’t want to make a 1 tile maintenance)

On a bigger note, probably shouldn’t encourage Bigulos on Manta due to its proximity to Escape and not many people understanding how to use the SRB now (you need to compensate for its pull. Aim off to the side, not directly at the middle) it seems this PR has good ideas (there needs to be a solid loop) but imo this isn’t the direction to head. From a gameplay perspective it works and it’s good for making bigulos which can’t do anything cause there’s not a PTL on Manta and reduces the difficulty of stealing from a head and overall gives too little room for too much being lost. I would also like to remind you that this isn’t the first time a singulo chamber was built like this. Mushroom and the older Singulo maps aside from donut 2 are all pretty close to the singulo again, I think it’s a good idea to fix the EMP thing (maybe remove it) but I don’t think this is a correct way to go about it. From a In Universe perspective this makes no sense at all. Why would the engine room be expanded when it’s clearly producing enough power to move Manta? Why would a head give up their room and make it harder to reach and work in their office from what it was before?

Sorry if I come off as hostile, I think a better idea is just to make the Junction boxes take off more power, or add a TEG/Something Engineering like sub ala Mushroom if you want a stronger Engineering gameplay loop or more power.

Edit: oh that poor poor suit storage room is going to be a pain to move around in...
Addressing the complaints I havent addressed in pr, mostly relating to the office. The reason why its the former janitors office is because its funny, yes its a security risk, but guess what, if the CE wants too they can just pop a wall down there. Getting the SRB as fast as possible is actually very important, because the singularity now gets far harder to remove the more it grows. Like, the AI can take minutes for requests sometimes, or just not respond to requests. For the security risk, theft is already really fuckin hard on manta, Im fine with one head office being kinda easy to break into. The cheapskate here isnt intended to be the CE, its intended to be NT, I mean the CE didnt make manta, theyre just the chap NT hired. For the suit storage room Ive literally never seen more then two people in there, generally people tend to grab radsuits from elsewhere, and people dont use the firesuits or diving suits there much.
Hm. I'm not really a big fan of this. I get that part of it is to add space to make a bigularity, but if you don't do that you have tons of wasted/dead space. All the space on the lower sides of engineering serves no purpose and is just dead space. Maybe move the super cramped suit storage into one of those wings. Single tile wide spaces are a massive pain in any area that may see more than one person in it at a time.

If you did want to make a larger singularity you would have to either deconstruct or build new radiation collectors and controllers because they're right below the current sing enclosure.

The door in the CE's quarters. If I saw that in a round without knowing the reason for it I'd immediately post a bug report or make a PR to fix it because it makes no sense and looks like an oversight. "Oh, oops! Someone forgot to get rid of a door!"

Another thing I would suggest is moving the exterior airlocks somewhere with public access. On the current version of manta those airlocks are public access. With this change the next set of airlocks that someone could access if they were stranded outside are all the way on the other side of the propellers. My suggestion on this would be extending the maintenance access a little to allow for public access airlocks.

Last thing that jumps out to me is the wiring around the main SMES/power storage room. Gas storage is fed directly by the singularity output. That will arc flash anytime there's major power coming from the sing. Cans of plasma + arc flashes = bad news crew
Wiring on gas storage has been fixed. The "dead weight" isn;t actually the outer parts, its the inner parts. The wasted space is 100% intentional, because if youre nearby a singularity bad things happen. Working on increasing power for a 5x5 should be way nicer with these changes because you have the wings towards the bottom of inner engineering to place down pipes without having to deal with emp + radiation + being pulled. The lower sides are ideal for pipe placement for thermal printers, you have to get a bit creative with it, but it 100% works. The constructing new rad collectors is intentional, its designed to add a barrier to making a bigulo on manta. NT doesnt intend you to bigulo afterall. A minor barrier at that, multiple collectors will be built for any semi competent bigulo. Personally I dont see the suit storage having more then one person in it at a time, I barely see people go in there as is. I dont see the worry for being stranded on manta too much because the ship is moving 99% of the time, so good luck getting back on ship if you fall out. If you get stranded most of the you end up in the trench guaranteed. Making it take 20 more seconds to get the another set of airlocks shouldnt really change much.
Those 20 seconds are pretty crucial actually in determining if you get back on or not. You can really go left or right all that much on manta, so those airlocks allow for people to get back on who have swam back to them (and it is possible to do so.)
I mean, if you get out of a manta, you likely fell out of an airlock. Just go through the airlock you fell out of? Also the bottom doors for the airlocks arent id restricted. Theres still a one tile safe space.

Edit: Also is falling out of an airlock even an issue on manta??? Like genuinely, if you somehow fall out it should be kinda dangerous. its not exactly easy to get out of the ship.
Really dislike the changes to the CE office. Aside from the door making it really easy to break in, it being the former janitor's office is just dumb. It works more or less in Horizon because the entire ship is designed to be run-down, patched together and dysfunctional.