Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[MERGED PR] Lowers the space of fanny packs to 5
(05-15-2021, 09:51 PM)Zafhset Wrote: Mordent, by that same logic a lot of things that aren't abused would be subject to change - but do they NEED to be changed? What purpose would it serve other than changing for the sake of changing?

I mean, it's a balance change?

My point is that something being powerful is okay but there's nothing wrong with evaluating whether people are abusing/powergaming it a bit and whether it should be reduced in power/limited in some other way.

That there's a finite amount is a good limiting factor. Consider instead that if we made it so that there was a reason to not use it over a belt then we could also potentially make it more of a sidegrade and remove this limitation (allowing for different playstyles/inventory management styles).

I would argue that it being limited in terms of roundstart spawns (and no ability to gain more) makes it rife for powergaming, as people can just rush it at roundstart.

My take is that the mindset of "I don't really see people abusing this" as a "common" (last three posters or whatever) perception when combined with "some people think lowering the size would be good for presumably some reason" seems like everyone wins if its capacity gets lowered?
The problem with the fanny pack gameplay wise is that there's no consequences to it compared to other belts.

Five slots doesn't actually solve this in any way, it's still the absolute best belt in the game.
But my opinion is that the domain and rarity it inhabits having consequences is less of a concern.

Map ones are rare and we want the clown to do horrible insane things.
If anything reducing the map ones to five makes sense but the clown should keep their powers
Rarity isn't a great balancing factor if the location of the thing is fixed each round so you can just rush to get it at roundstart if you know about it imo.
I think it'd be funnier to make it a Syndicate item instead. I like fanny packing being a unique "backpack for your belt" item and wouldnt want to see them nerfed. But I think it being a Syndicate item fits nicely between "this gives you an advantage" and "silly goofy item". I also don't seen why this should be accessible to the crew. I think it inventory managment is much more fun without fanny packs in the equation.
If only there was some mechanical penalty to looking like a total doofus nerdlinger.

edit: make shoves more effective against people wearing fanny packs because they're nerds

(i am not being serious)
A change that could be done in addition or instead of this is to make fanny packs spawn sorta randomly in maint instead of in fixed locations so it's slightly harder to rush them maybe?
(05-16-2021, 04:22 AM)Mouse Wrote: If only there was some mechanical penalty to looking like a total doofus nerdlinger.

edit: make shoves more effective against people wearing fanny packs because they're nerds

(i am not being serious)

wdym this is an excellent idea
i think that their purpose is best served as backpacks for people with back gear, where there's zero alternatives - even if you nerf the capacity they're still going to be best in slot thanks to how boxes can still hold a toolbelt's worth of tools and take up 1 backpack slot.

why not emphasize their utility as a backpack for those otherwise unable/uninterested in wearing backpacks? instead, provide a penalty for wearing both a fanny pack and backpack? give them a persistent annoying stumble, trip and misstep chance, maybe chat messages. clowns' fannypack could inherit this too and backpack clowns become *even more incapable*

giganerds who take all the storage space will be easy to bully and laugh at, but folks just wanting to rock a fanny pack or use one with a jetpack will be fine.
Yeah, make fanny packs less good. Idk when they were added, but it never made sense that they were simply better than actual toolbelts. Although I don't care enough to actually check, I bet that it was an oversight that had them have 7 storage slots. It just doesn't make sense that you'd be able to fit more in a fanny pack than a toolbelt specialized to hold certain things.
this would be really rough for tourists, who spawn with no backpack and only a fanny pack - with a lowered size they would barely have enough room to store their starting items (ignoring the box that spawns in the fanny pack as storage space)
(05-16-2021, 10:01 AM)coolvape Wrote: this would be really rough for tourists, who spawn with no backpack and only a fanny pack - with a lowered size they would barely have enough room to store their starting items (ignoring the box that spawns in the fanny pack as storage space)

A gimmick job is of least concern when thinking about this, though I can see why you'd bring it up as it is a concern.

Just also give them a backpack. Tourists are known for packing heavy?
(05-16-2021, 10:01 AM)coolvape Wrote: this would be really rough for tourists, who spawn with no backpack and only a fanny pack - with a lowered size they would barely have enough room to store their starting items (ignoring the box that spawns in the fanny pack as storage space)

Also, backpacks are trivially easy to obtain.
Even then, this reduction from 7 to 5 slots isn't at all a big deal because most of the stuff you put in belts fits in boxes.
Where I'm sitting I really like:
Spawning them randomly in maint, we can add them to a random item spawner

Adding some actual consequences, like being easier to shove users.
A five slot fanny pack still holds five tool belts worth of items, you're not actually adding any consequences and people will still rush them because they are still amazing.
excellent/awful/possibly-unfeasable idea: removing an item from a fanny pack takes a 1-second action bar