Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
New wizard item: apprenticeship contract
The apprenticeship contract would be a 1 point item that wizards can buy. Upon use it selects a willing ghost to spawn as the wizards apprentice. The apprentice only has access to the basic spells like magic missile and phase shift plus 1-2 that the wizard chose. The apprentice would have a goal to follow orders from the wizard who bought the contract. This would obviously be limited to only 1 per wizard or maybe just a hard limit of 2 per round to prevent a horde of apprentices.
If this became a thing, wizards should get some type of wiz radio to communicate with each other.
My biggest problem with this is that the wizard trades a single spell for what is effectively a second wizard. A less powerful one, sure, but a second use of magic missile alone can destroy even the most prepared teams, let alone whatever other spell that wizard has. There's at least a few little effort spells that can easily kill groups of people.
A second magic missile is way overpowered. But the general idea sounds neat.
This exists in other codebases, and they mostly have it for a reason. Double wizard spawn is pretty rare, so their single wizard is very powerful.

Goon usually has 3-5 wizards spawn depending on population, with late joining wizards coming along after that. So we already have the numbers. I don't think is a good idea.
I'm not a fan. Feels like another tool for meta-gaming the antag roles. Its bad enough with people fishing for mindslave as it is.
I think this would be good if it was only usable on mixed rounds - on a wizard round it would be rough, but if it's just 1 wizard spawning then having the option to do that would be cool.

Maybe make it require getting to a certain amount of power? Like how poltergeists aren't immediately available as wraith. You take the spell and you're effectively limiting yourself until you can get x amount of kills or whatever.

also yeah magical wiz radio(telepathy based maybe?) would be cool

maybe limit the apprentice to only being able to cast the current weakened verions of spells(the ones where you don't have your staff), and require them to wear a staff to cast at all?
I take this suggestion back after playing a round where I teamed up with another wizard. Jesus is that overpowered.
(05-14-2021, 06:23 PM)unfunnyperson Wrote: The apprenticeship contract would be a 1 point item that wizards can buy. Upon use it selects a willing ghost to spawn as the wizards apprentice. The apprentice only has access to the basic spells like magic missile and phase shift plus 1-2 that the wizard chose. The apprentice would have a goal to follow orders from the wizard who bought the contract. This would obviously be limited to only 1 per wizard or maybe just a hard limit of 2 per round to prevent a horde of apprentices.

i love the idea of bringing others into wizardry, especially nice wizards, because its usually great fun as a staffie to have a wizard become your "teacher"