Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Make the RCD crates require a head of staff ID to open
Even disregarding that EVA is already the most broken into room on the station just for the oxygen tank, something as powerful as an RCD should require more effort to steal than hacking one door. Same thing for the CE's one, as once you know the wires that round hacking three doors isn't much more difficult than hacking one.
No. No. No.

How hard should it get for people to work on fun building projects? Is this seriously the only way to go?

> Building nerf.
> Construction worker removal.
> Have to order the tool to retexture floors from QM.
> Have to walk across the station a dozen times to create multiple doors with custom access as a builder.

I am really sick and tired of all the nerfs for anyone that is interested in legitimate building.
who cares if someone steals the shitty, inefficient regular rcd and its starting 50 ammo
you can barely build anything with that anyway it's not that useful

if the CE rcd was locked in a cardlocked crate that'd be a big 'fuck-you' to any engineers on rounds with no CE(not particularly uncommon), since RCD cuts are the only way to remove floors other than chems(in other departments, sometimes have collateral damage) or bombs(collateral damage, good luck venting the engine room with a bomb without also permanently destroying pipes, engine, etc)

you barely get any ammo for the RCD anyway without assistance from mining - 100 total ammo on the station at roundstart(150 if there's a CE) which is barely enough to do anything fun!
(05-08-2021, 01:17 PM)coolvape Wrote: who cares if someone steals the shitty, inefficient regular rcd and its starting 50 ammo
you can barely build anything with that anyway it's not that useful

if the CE rcd was locked in a cardlocked crate that'd be a big 'fuck-you' to any engineers on rounds with no CE(not particularly uncommon), since RCD cuts are the only way to remove floors other than chems(in other departments, sometimes have collateral damage) or bombs(collateral damage, good luck venting the engine room with a bomb without also permanently destroying pipes, engine, etc)

you barely get any ammo for the RCD anyway without assistance from mining - 100 total ammo on the station at roundstart(150 if there's a CE) which is barely enough to do anything fun!

There are other burns besides hell and even then you could solve it by going CE to burn.

Or asking the captain or any other head to open the crate. Or getting a Engi Borg
I feel like this change might not have the intended effect. I think it won't relally prevent theft or reserve the rcd for command to give to whomever they please, but it will just lead to packet nerds having access to it and people who don't dabble in that will not be able to steal rcd at all unless they wanted to also kill a Head.
I'd steal it every round and throw pipebombs at it just out of spite.
(05-08-2021, 03:59 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: I feel like this change might not have the intended effect. I think it won't relally prevent theft or reserve the rcd for command to give to whomever they please, but it will just lead to packet nerds having access to it and people who don't dabble in that will not be able to steal rcd at all unless they wanted to also kill a Head.

Solution: nerf packets so they can no longer be used for free roundstart all access
(05-08-2021, 08:20 PM)Lord Birb Wrote:
(05-08-2021, 03:59 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: I feel like this change might not have the intended effect. I think it won't relally prevent theft or reserve the rcd for command to give to whomever they please, but it will just lead to packet nerds having access to it and people who don't dabble in that will not be able to steal rcd at all unless they wanted to also kill a Head.

Solution: nerf packets so they can no longer be used for free roundstart all access

No arguments here. I never understood packets and I never tried to. Seems like it trivializes breaking and entering. idk when that feature was added, but I missed it and never tried it out.
Its far harder to hack into secure lockers now then it was once with packets, and it still requires some breaking and entering. And it is roundstart all access the same way a screw driver, multitool and crowbar are, as hacking doors too used to be easier.
Yea packethacking doors is kinda useless cuz you have to screwdriver them, and at that point you should just hack it. To packethack lockers you have to either open the armory and read the packet sent from that  or you have to steal a sec data disk from sec and get it to a terminal, so that can take a while too.
it's genuinely substantially less effort than those things to just inject plasma into a lightbulb and blow any locker open(or make a pipebomb)
i don't think those should be removed even if they are functionally roundstart all-access with minimal investment of time

I think limiting access to those willing to break in the hard way, for items that in the larger scheme of the game aren't (imo) that powerful, is misguided

(05-08-2021, 02:47 PM)Eagletanker Wrote: There are other burns besides hell and even then you could solve it by going CE to burn.

Or asking the captain or any other head to open the crate. Or getting a Engi Borg
I was saying "if there is no CE", which isn't that uncommon.
sorry, yes - there's pipeburns (which you should really cut for) and uh, regular combustion and charburns which don't really need cutting.
but adding another gate to the most arguably interesting kind of burn, that already requires a chunk of effort(agent b, various optimizations, and it's still tough to get 'right' on a high level / a 'makes the ptl useful level') more difficult for engineers seems like misdirected effort

like yes, you could try and get captain to open it, and yes engiborgs have functionally infinite rcd charge(which is great don't get me wrong), but why add even more steps if it doesn't make gameplay more interesting?
It Is just a RCD with low charge, doesn't really matter that much if a staffie can get it, if they delete some door to your department or something you can beat them up, take the RCD and then re build the door, no one is gonna go trough the trouble of getting into sec, stealing a disk and doing the entire packet thing, all for a RCD if you REALLY want to make it more secure you could use one of those armory racks that holds shotguns, but for the RCD and it's charge, because those can atleast be hacked with tools.