Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Monkey crate price should be increased
Disclaimer: this forum thread was requested by Kyle, however I do agree with the idea

The monkey crate price is currently 500, which is very low, letting people flood the station with monkeys very easily, even with starting budget of 30k credits. And countering that with a price increase seems to be a good idea.

My suggestion is 2000 credits, kyle's suggestion is 5000 credits. Discuss what the price should be and why it's a good/bad idea I guess
Increment crate price with each one purchased until buying more is not feasible, says I.
lock the crates to research department and increase price to 2k i say
(05-08-2021, 03:01 AM)Grifflez Wrote: Increment crate price with each one purchased until buying more is not feasible, says I.
This sounds good.  If you want to keep buying monkeys indefinitely, you can feed them to a singulo for ptl money.
The Monkey crates are also used to get more Vocal translators beyond the 4 in the animal control lockers so the price could be around 1500 - 2000 credits to not make it too pricey to obtain more of them.
I maintain the vocal translators were a bad idea.
(05-08-2021, 03:23 AM)Stonepillar Wrote: lock the crates to research department and increase price to 2k i say

And Chef! They need meat too
remember that there's four monkeys in a crate, meaning that the proposed change is actually from 125/monkey to 500/monkey
Honestly, people spamming monkey crates are just gonna drain the budget while flooding the station now.
What's the cost of a monkey crate vs the Vendor recharge for monkey vendors?
I'd be careful with this... had a round yesterday where the AI was rogued to order monkey crates for just a few minutes. I had to clear the intake and send the monkey crates back out, but at least I still had a budget left when the laws were fixed.
maybe vocal translators should be moved to a separate crate, or added to a vending machine? it doesn't really make much sense for a box filled with npc monkeys for testing to also have vocal translators - those don't speak or need to speak.
i think doubling the cost per monkey ( make crates 1000 ) would be reasonable if the price was increased.

other departments that have use for monkey crates currently that would be impacted by locking the crates - engineering(singularity), chef, genetics/medbay(not that they really run out much, but if they're actively monkeycloning), not sure what else.
locking the crates would also increase the chance that monkeys just end up dying inside the crate instead, and turn them into miasma crates, which is not great.

a suggestion in another thread which i really liked is just replacing monkey crates with a valuchimp frame + soldering iron. Making that cost something like 5000 would be pretty reasonable(357 per monkey, almost 3 times the cost it is now), and it would be much harder to spam, given the setup time.
https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/4635

price can be whatever i just picked 2500